Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Guest neesy111

Handing Ritchie and Shelvey new contracts was such a terrible decision, be surprised if we managed to get rid of them

That's fine, more than happy to keep Ritchie around as an experienced squad player. Ritchie isn't the worst player to bring on when you're 1 or 2 up with 15 mins to go and need to bring on a winger to double up against someone.

I just don't see the point in Shelvey whatsoever. Mid 90's he'd be fantastic. Now everyone has ball playing centre halves he is redundant. He does exacly what Schar, Lejeune and Clark can do when we play a back 3, except he's a lazy, moody prick to go with it.

Careful now Spaceman, you'll have the Shelvey fanboys after you.

Handing Ritchie and Shelvey new contracts was such a terrible decision, be surprised if we managed to get rid of them

That's fine, more than happy to keep Ritchie around as an experienced squad player. Ritchie isn't the worst player to bring on when you're 1 or 2 up with 15 mins to go and need to bring on a winger to double up against someone.

I just don't see the point in Shelvey whatsoever. Mid 90's he'd be fantastic. Now everyone has ball playing centre halves he is redundant. He does exacly what Schar, Lejeune and Clark can do when we play a back 3, except he's a lazy, moody prick to go with it.

Shelvey has fanboys? :lol:

Shelvey has fanboys? :lol:

Shelvey doesn't have fan boys, there are just people who think he has been decent for us, and could be useful going forward, myself being one of them. This was prior to the takeover, obviously he wouldn't be useful for what we're hopefully going to become, but for a team sitting in 14th, personally think he's a decent player.

The strange thing about Keys is that in the 90s he was very enthusiastic about us, and it was him that tagged us with the "Entertainers" label. Pretty sure it was after the Oldham away game in November 1993 where we won 3-1 live on Sky. He was actually likeable back then when he was Sky's frontman.

The strange thing about Keys is that in the 90s he was very enthusiastic about us, and it was him that tagged us with the "Entertainers" label. Pretty sure it was after the Oldham away game in November 1993 where we won 3-1 live on Sky. He was actually likeable back then when he was Sky's frontman.

Aye, Keys and Grey were both really good at what they did back in the day. The man has morphed into a total arse wipe.

I always thought it was Andy Gray.

Manu reckon 24-48 hours

He was an early revealer of the takeover wasn’t he?

He also claimed it was BZG still buying us, not sure he’s that reliable to be honest.

OMG this guy is more reliable than any of the guys you ever think reliable.

Manu reckon 24-48 hours

He was an early revealer of the takeover wasn’t he?

He also claimed it was BZG still buying us, not sure he’s that reliable to be honest.

OMG this guy is more reliable than any of the guys you ever think reliable.

Like who ? The only people I’ve ever mentioned is caulkin, Burt and Douglas from chronicle.

Think majority would agree with that, so get your fu#%ing facts right.

I always remember Keys on a prime-time evening, weekly Sky programme called "The Footballers Football Show", where there were footballer guests and a studio audience, after NUFC had done something, or bought someone (can't remember what) Keys said (with belief) "Are Newcastle United now the biggest football club in the land, even bigger than Manchester United".

He has sunk since then !!

I always thought it was Andy Gray.

My memory might be playing tricks on me but I always remember it being after that Oldham match, when we beat them in style and Andy Cole truly introduced himself as a top class striker. When Keys was doing his summing up towards the end of the programme he just came up with the tag "The Entertainers", mainly due to the rip-roaring way we had been playing in that first part of the 93/94 season and especially in that game.

I always remember Keys on a prime-time evening, weekly Sky programme called "The Footballers Football Show", where there were footballer guests and a studio audience, after NUFC had done something, or bought someone (can't remember what) Keys said (with belief) "Are Newcastle United now the biggest football club in the land, even bigger than Manchester United".

Definitely. He really was a fan of us back then. Which makes his current u-turn even harder to fathom.

Worst time for people like him right now, no Man Utd drama or managerial sacking to go on about.

tbh I really don't envy trying to be a sports journalist or broadcaster right now, even nostalgia can only fill so much time and the covid news is repetitive

Back then there were only a handful of decent teams, and us Liverpool and Man U were pretty much the top 3 IIRC. There was no Chelsea or Spurs as a serious threat, and Arsenal were really struggling. He's obviously got new favourites now, and with the London clubs back on top, maybe he just doesn't want to see that changed.

I don’t believe Keys hates us, I just think he’s been bashing stuff out about every club and it’s our fans who take the bait.

Tweeting about us is about the attention he needs and the ability to stay relevant. It’s about him getting a slot back on Talksport and possibly with a different broadcaster back here in the UK. He’s deluded if he thinks that’s going to happen, but it will be partly why he’s doing it, he’s had his few years out in the sun. Now though the ability to not being able to simply sit out in a beer garden or to not be able to talk to the vast majority of people will be taking it’s toll on him.

On top of this, his employers will be pushing him to say negative stuff about us and the takeover for political reasons. He simply has to do that, not complying with that request in Qatar is a lot more risky than if he didn’t comply over here.

Not that it's a surprise, but my wife vaguely knows a well known BBC sports commentator who told her that he's always been considered to be a deeply unpleasant person in the industry. According to them it was his mistreatment of a runner, who then rose to a senior position, that led to microphones being left on and the tapes leaking out, ending his career at sky.