Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

The main question over this article is timing, because as of last Friday Caulkin was certain it was going through, Jason Burt said the checks where complete, so does this new article delay it again and possibly stop it or is it old news?

It’s old news they’ve had this evidence 2 weeks according to Guardian. Which basically means that if all the positive noises from Caulkin and co were correct last week, this evidence is not the smoking gun the guardian are making out.

Let’s all hope the noises at the back end of last week were correct.

How much longer can this realistically go on for, i have read the article a few times and don’t see what new evidence there really is that hasn’t been public knowledge for a couple of weeks at least now.

Guest godzilla

How much longer can this realistically go on for, i have read the article a few times and don’t see what new evidence there really is that hasn’t been public knowledge for a couple of weeks at least now.

If it's not sorted by this week (Monday at latest) then even I will say there is an issue mind and I have been mega positive. That final WTO report is not due until mid-June so maybe that's what the Premier League are waiting for if that's the case.

This is a political mess.

That's exactly what this is!

And the PL is afraid of the critism they will get if they allow the Saudis to buy, but at the same time they see all the money it would generate.

I bet this would never have been any problem if it was Man Utd they were buying!

If it's not sorted by this week (Monday at latest) then even I will say there is an issue mind and I have been mega positive. That final WTO report is not due until mid-June so maybe that's what the Premier League are waiting for if that's the case.

That would go against Jason Burt and to a degree Caulkin as well from last week.

This is a political mess.

That's exactly what this is!

And the PL is afraid of the critism they will get if they allow the Saudis to buy, but at the same time they see all the money it would generate.

I bet this would never have been any problem if it was Man Utd they were buying!

In all fairness now is the prefect time for them to have in announced. The media is going in heavy on Cummings and the government, they could easily release this under the radar alongside more concrete plans for the season restarting.

Expect Caulkin to trot out either "it's not officially signed yet" or "buyers still confident. I'm sure they were prepared for this."

“It’s a process, it takes as long as it takes”

In ten years we will still sit here and say: it takes as long as it takes...🥱

Guest godzilla

That would go against Jason Burt and to a degree Caulkin as well from last week.

And John Richardson (respected reporter), Neil Custis and a few others and that's what I'm clinging my hope to. However if it has been 'signed off' then it does not take two weeks after that to finalise that's for sure.

And John Richardson (respected reporter), Neil Custis and a few others and that's what I'm clinging my hope to. However if it has been 'signed off' then it does not take two weeks after that to finalise that's for sure.

Nope, I agree, I think a week maximum otherwise there are issues.

It's not entirely impossible that we're in a blinking contest where Premier League are saying we won't approve you unless you close down BeoutQ and the Saudis are saying dare you.

It’s already closed down isn’t it ?

I've long since stopped trying to figure out what is relevant information, what is new information, etc. Those of us on the outside can never know the real timeline or what specifically the PL has been told.

My working theory is that sound journalists like Caulkin and Burt have their contacts on the buyers' side and that side would have nothing more to add at this point. They will not have been advised in advance of any timing from the PL, so there is nothing concrete for them to say.

On the other side are journalists like Ingle, who seem to be getting their information from someone with PL contacts who is against the deal. They would have found a reporter eager to pass along their side of the story in the most scandalous-sounding way possible.

So you don't have one specific source with contacts on both sides who could bridge the gap between the two sets of stories, which is unfortunate and adds to the confusion. The process was always going to be opaque and glacial and is only more so because of the coronavirus and Project Restart delays.

We are finding things out that have already been known behind the scenes for some time, including the potential WTO report. This is an extremely complex transaction in the best of times and these are not the best of times. The buying side would be happy to take the PL to court should they be unfairly restricted from a legal purchase; the PL is keen to avoid a raft of bad publicity associated with a potential Saudi sale. Each side has reasons to be meticulous.

Personally, I haven't posted in ages. Completely disenchanted by the current state of the club. A sale would change that. But this process has been maddening, a microcosm of the club itself. I guess we should have known that we could only escape Ashley in the most painfully drawn-out way possible.

The WTO is an organisation, not a court of law. Their report has reached a conclusion, a conclusion that can be challenged in a court of law. If the PL block the takeover on the basis of a WTO report then this will head to the courts.

Having said that I’m as certain as I can be that the takeover will go ahead.