Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

People just need to relax man, just because it hasn’t officially been confirmed yet doesn’t mean it won’t or that there have been extra issues raised and likewise if this still isn’t confirmed by tomorrow, next week or the week after.

It’s a process, a long one, a complicated one, each party will work through to the end and that’s it, when that end is met, we will all know, we won’t know when they are close to an end or when an end is expected.

And none of the journos or reporters or players or staff or ex players know anything either. All even the likes of JC will know is things are progressing and they expect it to go through soon.

Switch off from this thread, stop worrying or over analysing everything and get out and be alert, clap some nurses, social distance and be save and save the NHS and with it your own sanity....

Friday 3.00pm will happen eventually.

I'm sorry, I can't agree with this. It's 2-4 weeks, historically all deals have taken that kind of time to ratify. The Man City one with 3 owners, one from the middle east as a major holder and 2 other minor holders, took what, 22 days? It is a process, yes. It is a complicated process, yes. But it's one with an expected timescale which has been massively exceeded and I don't agree that we cannot infer there might be problems from this.

Similarly, people mention "project restart" as if the PL is an organisation of 3 people who all have to do any work that comes in, like they'll down tools on this to prioritise work on that when in reality the PL is a massive organisation with dedicated teams for different things and in this case they're two entirely separate things.

This is taking way longer than it should, way longer than we'd expect it to, and that is worrying.

It’s a complicated deal and we are living in unprecedented times due to Covid-19, any deal of this nature will automatically take longer as a result and to consider otherwise would be crazy, whether the PL have 1 man or 20 man working on this. Again, patience is the key and everyone not to worry, there is nowt anyone of us can do anyway and willing it to happen yesterday won’t work.

People can work remotely just as efficiently as in an office these days. It certainly doesn't double the timescales on anything.

You're right that there's nothing we can do apart from wait, but I disagree about the "not to worry" bit for exactly the reasons I've mentioned. I think these are precisely the time and circumstances in which to worry. This is overdue. This is taking longer than it should. The silence is concerning. Whilst you can postulate about this and that and clutch at straws to explain the delay, the simplest and most obvious reason why it's taking so long is because there's a problem.

The whole delay due to project restart wasn’t even mentioned as an issue until the checks had gone over the 4 week mark.

Right, but the presence of COVID and the halting of football had already started. If it was four weeks in and then football was cancelled etc I could understand.

I think the delays are the consequence of a perfect (bad?) storm. You have a majority stake owner with question marks hanging over them, both in terms of human rights, but also their association (whether proven or otherwise) with piracy of the Premier League's product. You have to consider the legal permutations of rejecting them, the response of Man City's owners, the other 18 Premier League owners. Running parallel to all of that is Project Restart, players refusing to train/play, the TV contracts you have to renegotiate on the fly.

I believe one of the lawyer's on Twitter said the league's legal department is very small. There are only so many hours in the day. I'm not for one minute saying the league have handled this well - they haven't. Sometimes no decision is worse than the wrong decision, and this is evidence of that. What I am saying is that it does not shock me it's taking a long time.

Man Citys owners wont be a problem as the UAE is Saudi Arabia's ally, think you're confusing them with Qatar. Though I agree with the rest of what you are saying.

Careful, you’ll have some fucker writing to the PL saying we’ll be in a position to influence Man City and they need to call the takeover off...

People can work remotely just as efficiently as in an office these days. It certainly doesn't double the timescales on anything.

You're right that there's nothing we can do apart from wait, but I disagree about the "not to worry" bit for exactly the reasons I've mentioned. I think these are precisely the time and circumstances in which to worry. This is overdue. This is taking longer than it should. The silence is concerning. Whilst you can postulate about this and that and clutch at straws to explain the delay, the simplest and most obvious reason why it's taking so long is because there's a problem.

Just because you say it over and over doesn’t make it true. The simplest and most obvious reason why it’s taking so long is because the PL instructed their legal department to prioritise restarting the league.

People just need to relax man, just because it hasn’t officially been confirmed yet doesn’t mean it won’t or that there have been extra issues raised and likewise if this still isn’t confirmed by tomorrow, next week or the week after.

It’s a process, a long one, a complicated one, each party will work through to the end and that’s it, when that end is met, we will all know, we won’t know when they are close to an end or when an end is expected.

And none of the journos or reporters or players or staff or ex players know anything either. All even the likes of JC will know is things are progressing and they expect it to go through soon.

Switch off from this thread, stop worrying or over analysing everything and get out and be alert, clap some nurses, social distance and be save and save the NHS and with it your own sanity....

I'm sorry, I can't agree with this. It's 2-4 weeks, historically all deals have taken that kind of time to ratify. The Man City one with 3 owners, one from the middle east as a major holder and 2 other minor holders, took what, 22 days? It is a process, yes. It is a complicated process, yes. But it's one with an expected timescale which has been massively exceeded and I don't agree that we cannot infer there might be problems from this.

Similarly, people mention "project restart" as if the PL is an organisation of 3 people who all have to do any work that comes in, like they'll down tools on this to prioritise work on that when in reality the PL is a massive organisation with dedicated teams for different things and in this case they're two entirely separate things.

This is taking way longer than it should, way longer than we'd expect it to, and that is worrying.

It’s a complicated deal and we are living in unprecedented times due to Covid-19, any deal of this nature will automatically take longer as a result and to consider otherwise would be crazy, whether the PL have 1 man or 20 man working on this. Again, patience is the key and everyone not to worry, there is nowt anyone of us can do anyway and willing it to happen yesterday won’t work.

even if your right and there is an issue it isn't a issue they have publically rejected the bid (unless they dont do that either) and that means that any issue is not insurmountable meaning the phase "it needs to play out" & "it takes as long as it takes" arent necessarily a bad way of putting things.

Where would this dedicated team dealing with project restart have come from? I doubt they have teams just sitting there in case of once in a generation pandemics. More likely the team would have been sourced from other departments. Plus they may have people off work etc.

Not saying that is the case, but it's not improbable.

Look, I've spent the better part of my entire career on m&a over the past 15 years....the time it has taken the league to exhaust it's forensic review of this deal is a bit of a joke. If you're PCP/PIF/RB or Mike Ashley - you've every single reason to be pissed at how this has played out publicly.

If you're told something takes X time and it's taken double that and the league comes out with comments that say they'll handle it on their time (essentially) that's fucking ridiculous.

Guest godzilla

Look, I've spent the better part of my entire career on m&a over the past 15 years....the time it has taken the league to exhaust it's forensic review of this deal is a bit of a joke. If you're PCP/PIF/RB or Mike Ashley - you've every single reason to be p*ssed at how this has played out publicly.

If you're told something takes X time and it's taken double that and the league comes out with comments that say they'll handle it on their time (essentially) that's f***ing ridiculous.

100% agree

Look, I've spent the better part of my entire career on m&a over the past 15 years....the time it has taken the league to exhaust it's forensic review of this deal is a bit of a joke. If you're PCP/PIF/RB or Mike Ashley - you've every single reason to be pissed at how this has played out publicly.

If you're told something takes X time and it's taken double that and the league comes out with comments that say they'll handle it on their time (essentially) that's fucking ridiculous.

Think that's what has put it in some doubt for me, they don't seem in any hurry to get it done, and that flies in the face of those saying that the PL can't afford to lose the investment from the Saudis. Well their reluctance to make it a priority suggests that they would be quite prepared to turn it down. Our best bet seems to be the supposed legal suits we could throw their way, but they can probably argue that their rules allow them to interpret as they see fit.

I still think it will pass eventually, but not sure that we should be taking anything for granted at this stage.

The way I imagine it is that there's just no urgency to get it done on the PL side, combined with the generally incredibly long time that legal back-and-forth takes.

It took me 6 months to buy a chain free flat FFS. The lawyers would write a letter, wait for a response for a few weeks, write another letter following it up, wait another few weeks. And this happened for every question or request for information.

The PL is a weird organisation. Although the game is very rich, the PL itself is more like a big members club who really don't exist outside the collective interests of clubs at any one time. I don't know exactly what that means for their resources and their competence.

There must be a carrot somewhere though - otherwise we'd have heard someone from either side booting off, surely?

If the deal you're trying to do is hanging in the balance and may get rejected, how does throwing your toys out the pram help your chances exactly?

Guest godzilla

The way I imagine it is that there's just no urgency to get it done on the PL side, combined with the generally incredibly long time that legal back-and-forth takes.

It took me 6 months to buy a chain free flat FFS. The lawyers would write a letter, wait for a response for a few weeks, write another letter following it up, wait another few weeks. And this happened for every question or request for information.

The PL is a weird organisation. Although the game is very rich, the PL itself is more like a big members club who really don't exist outside the collective interests of clubs at any one time. I don't know exactly what that means for their resources and their competence.

For just a start all parties will have solicitors/sub-contracted solicitors working on this full time, whilst your solicitors certainly wouldn't have been on your flat.

Guest godzilla

There must be a carrot somewhere though - otherwise we'd have heard someone from either side booting off, surely?

If the deal you're trying to do is hanging in the balance and may get rejected, how does throwing your toys out the pram help your chances exactly?

The threat of a multi-million pound lawsuit may though.

Hopefully when football starts up again people will have other things to talk about rather than trying to second guess the workings behind the most complicated takeover in the premier leagues history. I'm putting it down to people being bored.

What would the multi-million pound lawsuit be based on?

Guest godzilla

What would the multi-million pound lawsuit be based on?

Their entire projected business plan or do you think they will just go home with their tails between their legs if it's knocked back?

For just a start all parties will have solicitors/sub-contracted solicitors working on this full time, whilst your solicitors certainly wouldn't have been on your flat.

Do you reckon? I wouldn't be surprised if they're on hourly allocation to the project. Nee idea obviously.

Guest godzilla

Do you reckon? I wouldn't be surprised if they're on hourly allocation to the project. Nee idea obviously.

Having worked on multi-million pound projects (including a massive one involving the government) I can assure you that's not the case.

Having worked on multi-million pound projects (including a massive one involving the government) I can assure you that's not the case.

Absolutely no offence meant in this comment, but your posts about this takeover don't exactly match those of a person working on multi-million pound projects.

If the solicitors involved are anything like the ones used when buying houses they'll be dragging things out to justify their extortionate fees, I've seen it happen. I still think it's the FA that's holding things up, either choosing the right moment for it to be less grief to them or waiting on someone to provide them with a solid reason to reject it.