NUFC : Next Manager (Bruce is here forever)

Guest The Little Waster

Nufc Next Manager : Poch or Rafa ?  

343 members have voted

1. 1. Nufc Next Manager : Poch or Rafa ?

• Pochettino
    • Rafa

How much would it cost to release Rafa from his contract at Dalian?

$0 - anyone in China can leave their post with 30 days notice.

I thought loki679[/member]  had made that pretty clear? I may be way off.

If that's true, then what's the point in having a £20m compensation clause in the contract?

Unless your contract extends that notice for the duration..

Bruce staying in charge would seriously mitigate any excitement I’d have for the time being.

Had there been no lockdown, I might have seen us picking up some points at home from the remaining games by virtue of the atmosphere at SJP with Ashley gone. Without that, we’re relying on Stevie’s tactical nous to see us safe and over the line.

Unless your contract extends that notice for the duration..

Not possible under labour laws here afaik.  Anyone can resign with 30 days notice, extended notice in a contract is unenforceable because the law has supremacy.  As I said before, I assume the release is the same as players and that the fee is to transfer the registration rather than exit the contract.

The law is clear:

Article 31 If a labourer is to cancel his labour contract, he shall give a written notice to the employing unit 30 days in advance.

Pochettino has all the qualities I'd want, except 1, and that's his individual game management, which all the top top managers are adept at. I just dont see him having a trophy laden career unless hes at a club which already dominates the league.

His run in the CL came off the back of 2 freak results which kind of elevated his reputation, when in reality he got the 3rd best squad to finish 4th and probably deserved to go out in the CL at the QF.

Edit: I'd obviously not be unhappy with him at all, or with any of the candidates but Rafa would be my number 1 option.

Pochettino has all the qualities I'd want, except 1, and that's his individual game management, which all the top top managers are adept at. I just dont see him having a trophy laden career unless hes at a club which already dominates the league.

His run in the CL came off the back of 2 freak results which kind of elevated his reputation, when in reality he got the 3rd best squad to finish 4th and probably deserved to go out in the CL at the QF.

Edit: I'd obviously not be unhappy with him at all, or with any of the candidates but Rafa would be my number 1 option.

Exactly this. He has everything we would want and would give us the attacking attractive football we want. I just fear he doesn't have the xfactor when it counts and would end up being a transitional manger. Would be a fun ride though.

I wholeheartedly agree with wise sage Thumbheed

The other plus point for Rafa is I think this would be his last job (bar national sides). Can't see that being the case with any other manager.

I want that.

I want someone that isn't going to just be transitional or in it until Real/Barca or National Teams come calling. With Rafa you know our success and the clubs legacy is his end goal.

It has to be Rafa, man. Has to be. My only doubt is if he’d walk away from his current role.

There is no better manager for the job. He was incredible under Ashley, imagine him under this lot.

I would prefer we looked at alternatives to Rafa, I take all of the points about him having a blueprint and unfinished business etc, but i just wouldn't go back, it very rarely works.

We've fond memories of Benitez and rightly so, but i'd leave it there, personally.

Pochettino would be my first choice, I don't know enough about Allegri's style, but its obviously a very impressive CV! but Poch would be the one i'd go for.

May I ask why? Not saying your wrong but Poch hasn't won anything so other than progressing teams and being younger than Rafa not sure how he out manages Rafa in any real area?

Well one of the reasons as I said is I just wouldn’t go back, it very rarely works.

Secondly I think if we were to have a shot at pochettino I think we’d be mad not to take it. He plays the type of football we’d all love to see, he’s a young progressive coach and it’s probably only a matter of time before he’s snapped up by a PSG/Man City/Real Madrid type elite club, we’d be mad not to execute the opportunity should it present itself.

Rafa’s mint, we all love him and rightly so, but he won’t get another elite club and there’s probably a reason for that, so for those reasons I’d grab Poch ahead of Rafa should the opportunity arise.

Not to mention the fact I don’t think we’d get rafa, I can’t see him leaving that ‘project’ so early on and he doesn’t break contracts.

Unless he has a clause in his contract of course.....

That’s true, but if he walks away from what appears to be a project both sides are heavily invested in then I’d be surprised, given the type of guy he seems to be.

I would prefer we looked at alternatives to Rafa, I take all of the points about him having a blueprint and unfinished business etc, but i just wouldn't go back, it very rarely works.

We've fond memories of Benitez and rightly so, but i'd leave it there, personally.

Pochettino would be my first choice, I don't know enough about Allegri's style, but its obviously a very impressive CV! but Poch would be the one i'd go for.

May I ask why? Not saying your wrong but Poch hasn't won anything so other than progressing teams and being younger than Rafa not sure how he out manages Rafa in any real area?

Well one of the reasons as I said is I just wouldn’t go back, it very rarely works.

Secondly I think if we were to have a shot at pochettino I think we’d be mad not to take it. He plays the type of football we’d all love to see, he’s a young progressive coach and it’s probably only a matter of time before he’s snapped up by a PSG/Man City/Real Madrid type elite club, we’d be mad not to execute the opportunity should it present itself.

Rafa’s mint, we all love him and rightly so, but he won’t get another elite club and there’s probably a reason for that, so for those reasons I’d grab Poch ahead of Rafa should the opportunity arise.

Are there any examples of returns to former clubs which mirror the situation we potentially find ourselves in? This is a start from scratch project with basically unlimited resources.

Pochettino absolutely has the attention of the big clubs but that doesn't mean he's the best managerial option. I have no doubt he offers the best chance of getting us to the next step, as he has done with every club he's managed but he's yet to turn that into silverware which should be our ultimate goal. Why go for someone who has no evidence of the ability to win silverware over someone who has a proven track record of it? The top top managers win trophies anywhere, it's a skill. You either have it or you dont, I dont think Pochettino has it.

To be fair to Rafa, he was literally at the biggest club in the world before Newcastle, that's a hell of a step down which makes a potential return all the more poignant. I'm not sure it's fair to assume he's done at the top level off the back of his time at Newcastle and the fact he's now in China (overseeing a $300m project), his CV is still right up there with the very best. Had his contract ended sooner, who knows which club he'd have been at, I dont seem to reme.ber too many vacancies around the time he left (baring in mind it was very very late in the summer).

Just in case anyone not clear, I'd really like Rafa, but I'm very surprised at all those who'd even entertain Poch over Allegri who would be my number 2 choice for many of the reason I've stated above.

Are there any examples of returns to former clubs which mirror the situation we potentially find ourselves in? This is a start from scratch project with basically unlimited resources.

Pochettino absolutely has the attention of the big clubs but that doesn't mean he's the best managerial option. I have no doubt he offers the best chance of getting us to the next step, as he has done with every club he's managed but he's yet to turn that into silverware which should be our ultimate goal. Why go for someone who has no evidence of the ability to win silverware over someone who has a proven track record of it? The top top managers win trophies anywhere, it's a skill. You either have it or you dont, I dont think Pochettino has it.

To be fair to Rafa, he was literally at the biggest club in the world before Newcastle, that's a hell of a step down which makes a potential return all the more poignant. I'm not sure it's fair to assume he's done at the top level off the back of his time at Newcastle and the fact he's now in China (overseeing a $300m project), his CV is still right up there with the very best. Had his contract ended sooner, who knows which club he'd have been at, I dont seem to reme.ber too many vacancies around the time he left (baring in mind it was very very late in the summer).

Just in case anyone not clear, I'd really like Rafa, but I'm very surprised at all those who'd even entertain Poch over Allegri who would be my number 2 choice for many of the reason I've stated above.

Our situation is unique, granted, but managerial returns in the whole have a history of not working.

I don’t know anywhere near enough about allegri to want him, as I said in my first post I’m just not familiar enough with him to say.

Rafa’s great, I was a huge fan and still am, but there’s a reason his last two clubs have been a relegation threatened nufc and a club in China, the Real Madrid gig came largely out of the blue to him as he was on his way to West Ham.

I’ll be surprised to ever see him amongst the elite again, but I could be wrong.

Everything I’m saying makes me sound as if I don’t rate him, which couldn’t be more wrong, I would just take a fresh approach that’s all.

Not to mention the fact I don’t think we’d get rafa, I can’t see him leaving that ‘project’ so early on and he doesn’t break contracts.

Unless he has a clause in his contract of course.....

That’s true, but if he walks away from what appears to be a project both sides are heavily invested in then I’d be surprised, given the type of guy he seems to be.

It's not a project over there it is a time filler that paid very well until a new (or old ;) ) project came along. Everyone said he would never go somewhere like China as he had too much integrity and morals... until he did.

The rumoured and reported 20m release clause might be more of a problem, although its likely less than that now then when Arsenal and West Ham were linked with him before Christmas.

Our situation is unique, granted, but managerial returns in the whole have a history of not working.

I don’t know anywhere near enough about allegri to want him, as I said in my first post I’m just not familiar enough with him to say.

Rafa’s great, I was a huge fan and still am, but there’s a reason his last two clubs have been a relegation threatened nufc and a club in China, the Real Madrid gig came largely out of the blue to him as he was on his way to West Ham.

I’ll be surprised to ever see him amongst the elite again, but I could be wrong.

Everything I’m saying makes me sound as if I don’t rate him, which couldn’t be more wrong, I would just take a fresh approach that’s all.

O0 Nah, that's all fair and well. It's personal opinions and preference at the end of the day and I can't prove any of that to be wrong tbf.

Probably the first time in all my time supporting Newcastle where we've been in a win win situation no matter who we employ.

*Bruce Signs new 8 Year Deal*

Didn’t Pochettino lose the Spurs players support prior to being sacked? And he took them from

Challenging for 4th and above, down to about 14th?

Just as well Liverpool didn't have this short term a view when they appointed Klopp. He'd spent most of his last season at Dortmund fighting the drop. Managers come to the end with one club sometimes, it happens. Pochettino is still on the up as a coach, with the best will in the world I don't think we can say the same about Benitez.

Guest neesy111

Didn’t Pochettino lose the Spurs players support prior to being sacked? And he took them from

Challenging for 4th and above, down to about 14th?

Just as well Liverpool didn't have this short term a view when they appointed Klopp. He'd spent most of his last season at Dortmund fighting the drop. Managers come to the end with one club sometimes, it happens. Pochettino is still on the up as a coach, with the best will in the world I don't think we can say the same about Benitez.

:thup:

Remember they had hardly spent any money the 18 months before he left, he wanted a squad rebuild and didn't get it.