Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

Brace yourself lads update from the big smoke.

I enjoy your positivity WM but is this update... that there is no update?

Plus I take what they say with a pinch of salt. They claim to know but there's nothing of any substance in anything they say. Anyone on here, using information picked up online, could come up with similar vague comments like they are.

Plus I take what they say with a pinch of salt. They claim to know but there's nothing of any substance in anything they say. Anyone on here, using information picked up online, could come up with similar vague comments like they are.

I understand what you're saying but in the spirit of the optimism thread...

He did say, back in December, that they were trying to sort out offshore arrangements in order to get the deal done. This isn't something I've heard anywhere else (and I have no idea what the implications of it are) and then at the weekend we've got the plane spotters placing everyone together in tax haven Bahamas.

That's the best I can do.

Some random who won’t say what his connections are tells us nothing new, and that’s positive. Currently positivity is at a low ebb

I don't know if eventually the takeover will happen or not if we stay up - I'm 50/50. What I am pretty certain on is that nothing will happen until we know what division we are in. No chance that Ashley is gong to lower the price and the consortium are not stupid enough to pay 350 million when the value could more than half in a matter of weeks.

If we are relegated, would Ashley be prepared to half the price for the club? I very much doubt it baring in mind he will think he can get the club straight back up, and be back to his original asking price. He has done it twice already and shown no signs whatsoever that he won't gamble this a third time. The bloke is still gambling on relegation now despite knowing that he has an agreed fee already in place. 

I'm also not convinced that the consortium would want a championship club. They could easily look at Leeds or maybe even West Ham. I honestly think the ultra positive lads on here don't realise how precarious the current and future situation is.

Who knows robster might be putting 2 + 2 together and getting 5, but I find this lad alongside Ryan Maine far more interesting than any itk’s from up here. They’ve got absolutely no connection to us and they don’t appear to be wind up merchants.

Also it’s worth remembering Luke Edwards mentioned about the deal being restructured a while back, however Kennedy is adamant this is not happening and PIF want in through the front door. I’ve heard various things which I have no idea if are true or not, but it’s not beyond the realms they’re cooking up some Man City style ownership model to get round the situation. It maybe a combination of Bein being restored and maybe some tweaking of the ownership structure are going on to facilitate it being accepted. Nick De Marco appears very much in the school of finding a settlement and his strength is knowing what is required to get the deal through. There’s certainly a reason why the arbitration hearing hasn’t yet begun and I think it’s now gone beyond just choosing the 3rd panel member.

Surely these Saudis aren't going to be prepared to stump up over £300m on a football club who have a reasonable chance of being a 2nd tier club in 3 months time? Can't imagine anything could be finalised whilst our league status is in doubt.

Just realised I've put this in the positive thread! Apologies!

Surely these Saudis aren't going to be prepared to stump up over £300m on a football club who have a reasonable chance of being a 2nd tier club in 3 months time? Can't imagine anything could be finalised whilst our league status is in doubt.

I don’t think anyone can answer that for definite, certainly Mark Douglas believes they see it as a long term investment and would still want to do deal. This segment is from the recent Athletic article by Caulkin on the subject -

‘There is growing concern about the team’s performance in the Premier League. Without a win in 10 matches in all competitions, they sit 16th in the table, seven points above the bottom three. There have been discussions about Bruce; last season, the team’s better-than-expected results bought the consortium (theoretical) scope for reflection. They had nobody lined up to replace the head coach on day one and were grateful for the results he oversaw.

This time, it is different. The sudden availability of Benitez, Newcastle’s former manager, would naturally be of interest to Staveley, who put the Spaniard front and centre of her first bid for the club, but there is also acceptance that the 60-year-old is unlikely to be out of work for long. Timing, as always, is key. Timing, as always, is an enemy.

Does the threat of relegation jeopardise the deal? “No,” a source says, although it would be “a serious pain in the arse,” particularly at a financially-difficult moment when staying in the division is more important than ever. Newcastle are still seen as the “right club”. But what if the takeover is not completed by the end of the season and they still go down? That becomes more problematic. Perhaps interest would remain but it would have to be at a different price, a Championship price’.

I don’t think anyone can answer that for definite, certainly Mark Douglas believes they see it as a long term investment and would still want to do deal. This segment is from the recent Athletic article by Caulkin on the subject -

‘There is growing concern about the team’s performance in the Premier League. Without a win in 10 matches in all competitions, they sit 16th in the table, seven points above the bottom three. There have been discussions about Bruce; last season, the team’s better-than-expected results bought the consortium (theoretical) scope for reflection. They had nobody lined up to replace the head coach on day one and were grateful for the results he oversaw.

This time, it is different. The sudden availability of Benitez, Newcastle’s former manager, would naturally be of interest to Staveley, who put the Spaniard front and centre of her first bid for the club, but there is also acceptance that the 60-year-old is unlikely to be out of work for long. Timing, as always, is key. Timing, as always, is an enemy.

Does the threat of relegation jeopardise the deal? “No,” a source says, although it would be “a serious pain in the arse,” particularly at a financially-difficult moment when staying in the division is more important than ever. Newcastle are still seen as the “right club”. But what if the takeover is not completed by the end of the season and they still go down? That becomes more problematic. Perhaps interest would remain but it would have to be at a different price, a Championship price’.

There’s no way Ashley sells at a “championship price”. If we go down, then the deal is dead.

Bruce needs to go. He will go down with Ashley as one of, if not the biggest cunt in our history if we go down.

I disagree - Ashley might have to sell if we do go down. It would be loathed to chuck another £30-40million of his own cash in to keep the club going, in this current climate. No TV money - NUFC becomes a drain on his resources.

He’s already done that exact scenario twice already.

If they are prepared to buy us before safety is secured there will be clauses in the deal, if Ashley agrees to it, or maybe he'll wants to gamble on going up and risk a deal not happening. If the deal officially gets the clearance.