Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

Guest reefatoon
6 minutes ago, gdm said:

I’m all for the positivity. What Qatar mag was saying has got me going a bit. 

my only point is there is nothing wrong with realism. Things change constantly. That’s ok 

You are right, there is absolutely nothing wrong with realism, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of day dreaming too. It’s all just a little bit of fun, but for some bizarre reason, that doesn’t sit right with certain people, then they feel the need to keep coming in to tell people. There is absolutely no harm in here at all, it’s all just daft day dreaming and hoping for better things. 

Edited by reefatoon

1 minute ago, TheHoob said:

Funny seeing people who have been screaming for months that it is dead in the water and nothing is happening quietly change their argument after the last few days. 

I’m not one of them but why can’t people understand people are allowed to change their opinion with the info they are given :lol:

4 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

You are right, there is absolutely nothing wrong with realism, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of day dreaming too. It’s all just a little bit of fun, but for some bizarre reason, that doesn’t sit right with certain people, then they feel the need to keep coming in to tell people. There is absolutely no harm in here at all, it’s all just daft day dreaming and hoping for better things. 

I wouldn’t disagree tbh. I’m all for a day dream 

Guest reefatoon

Maybe we should change the thread title to “the day dreaming takeover thread” remove the “positivity” word which seems to be getting some people riled up a little. Folks can then understand the thread by it’s title, know what they are coming in to read and understand it’s nothing more than a little hope and wishful thinking, and a light hearted chat away from the other thread. Hopefully then it will also stop these daft sniping arguments about two fabricated “positive” and “negative” sides which like @AyeDubbleYoo said is getting fucking stupid.

Just now, gdm said:

I’m not one of them but why can’t people understand people are allowed to change their opinion with the info they are given :lol:

Aye it wasn't aimed at you [emoji38] I'm not saying they aren't, was more just a comment of the smugness of certain posters and the glee they seem to take in rubbishing every little bit of potential good news even though they've been shown to be full of shit. 

37 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Positive v negative as some sort of battle is absolutely ridiculous, and makes everyone on both sides look stupid.

Just debate the stuff like normal people FFS. 

Yeah. But do it in the other thread. :pow:

31 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

It will always come down to this as long as we have two threads for the same topic.

It’s not the same fucking topic…this one is for loonies like me, who only want to wallow in pure blind optimistic shite….if you want to debate the takeover go into the takeover thread….I started it 14 months ago, just so you can spend time arguing the many thrilling idiosyncrasy’s.

Pity all these "I'm a realist" posters stroking one out to thoughts of Doris from the Asda checkout, whilst my imagination is filled with double blowies from Scarlett and Mila :cool:

It's essentially just dividing realism vs optimism, really. Such as the transfer thread vs twitter bullshit thread - this so the one thread doesn't get filled with stuff people don't want to read. It's not hard to understand. Outlandishly positive things go in here and people who wish to discuss those things have free reign. More realistic/toned-down stuff go in the main thread. A tweet daying Bruce is close to signing Haaland doesn't go in the realistic transfers thread, to put it like that, but there's room for that tweet somewhere on the forum - and that's what has always made this forum great.

15 minutes ago, Hhtoon said:

Pity all these "I'm a realist" posters stroking one out to thoughts of Doris from the Asda checkout, whilst my imagination is filled with double blowies from Scarlett and Mila :cool:

0878-ECE1-F585-4-AB5-BB12-B492-A21-F31-E

6-BE591-EA-E2-CF-42-BD-9257-1097-D619-B6

Edited by Darth Crooks
#teamdoris

5 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

It's essentially just dividing realism vs optimism, really. Such as the transfer thread vs twitter bullshit thread - this so the one thread doesn't get filled with stuff people don't want to read. It's not hard to understand. Outlandishly positive things go in here and people who wish to discuss those things have free reign. More realistic/toned-down stuff go in the main thread. A tweet daying Bruce is close to signing Haaland doesn't go in the realistic transfers thread, to put it like that, but there's room for that tweet somewhere on the forum - and that's what has always made this forum great.

The issue some have though... is if we had 5-10 posters relentlessly posting that they’ve purchased Haaland shirts and how we’re going to win the league based on those unrealistic rumours,  we’d look like right twats.

That’s the equivalent of this thread and what is posted in here. Everything people criticise RTG for, is in here :lol: 

Although I do get it and will try to keep my thoughts in the right thread from now on.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

It's not a matter of realism vs. optimism, it's all speculation. Negative speculation isn't any more inherently realistic.

"The takeover if dead, just accept it" vs. "there are these indications that the takeover is still alive" is not realism vs. optimism, it's pessimism vs. optimism.

It looks like the Tyson - Joshua fight will be the 14th of August in Saudi Arabia, the same day the 2021/22 premier league starts, what a day for sports washing.

5 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

The issue some have though... is if we had 5-10 posters relentlessly posting that they’ve purchased Haaland shirts and how we’re going to win the league based on those unrealistic rumours,  we’d look like right twats.

That’s the equivalent of this thread and what is posted in here. Everything people criticise RTG for, is in here :lol: 

Although I do get it and will try to keep my thoughts in the right thread from now on.

They do it in their dedicated thread, they don't do it in every thread or start 10 new threads for it - that would be RTG levels. However, the people who are annoyed at the positive posters are reaching RTG levels in their responses. Just don't use the optimism thread. The thread states in its opening post what the subject will be, and the thread title states it. Respect that and don't break forum rules by making non-contributive posts.

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

It looks like the Tyson - Joshua fight will be the 14th of August in Saudi Arabia, the same day the 2021/22 premier league starts, what a day for sports washing.

Yes, don’t see the sports journo’s making a fuss about this though.

Its negative speculation based on nothing more than misplaced cynicism. 

Caulkin knows nothing

Kennedy knows nothing

Keith knows nothing 

PIF withdrew

It hasn't happened yet therefore it must not be happening etc etc.

The same views repeated ad nauseum against a backdrop of an owner who himself thinks the takeover is still on.

Edited by Thumbheed

1 hour ago, Candi_Hills said:

You said it [emoji38]

"Don't give us false hope", "The mental anguish is too much", "I'm exhausted"... Some people are scared to allow themselves to believe that Mike is even trying to sell the club.

Personally, I feel really really happy about NUFC right now. We don't have to worry about relegation anymore, watching the mackems is a hoot and I'll either be watching a proper football team next season or doing the garden on saturdays. It's shit or bust and I'm mentally ready for either.

Exactly where I am at. And not a chance am I following this takeover shit if it still hasn't been concluded one way or the other by the beginning of of next season. Ashley will never have a stronger hand than he currently does, what with all of the corrupt shenanigans that has gone on over the last month. If he cannot get the PL to cave in this summer then this takeover is never happening.

Could be the apparent compulsion to constantly rain on other people's parades about it rather than being deflated by your own pessimism that's the difference between pessimism and a bit off. Its a bit like someone glorifying in saying "Told you we wouldn't win anything" repeatedly under Keegan and Sir Bobby to me.

I don't think it will happen, based only on this being NUFC but I'm deflated about that not giddy.

Having two threads is like checking a few different news channels and coming to your own conclusion about something. Being as I don't think it'll happen, this is the one for me. I like the hope to balance out what I instinctively already think

Edited by Wolfcastle

As I see it, it's not really about positive vs negative. There is a group of posters who think Caulkin, Kennedy and Keith are liars and there's another group who think they're decent blokes and enjoy discussing what they put out there. I'm actually somewhat pessimistic about the takeover (because we're NUFC) but I do think buyer and seller are pushing for a takeover, I do think Keith is worth listening to and I like the takeover craic.

If you think these blokes are bullshitters, why bother coming to this thread? For the people who enjoy the discussion, there's something new every few weeks to chew over, but for the people who don't like Keith and the journos, it's just the same patter on repeat. "He knows nowt" , "It's bullshit", "Just doing it for clicks". It'd be like me dipping into the gardening thread every new page so I could tell them not to kill slugs.

Edited by Candi_Hills

This constant "positive v negative" nonsense is just ridiculous. Its not positive v negative, it's just another way to frame a discussion or debate. The fact there is 2 threads is absurd, just discuss the topics like adults, there's absolutely no need to have a 'positive' thread, just be positive in the thread that's been created and discuss things in 1 theead as we normally do across the entire forum without exception.

It's bizarre as it is ridiculous in here.

3 hours ago, Chris_R said:

What do you - sorry, your friend - want to delete? :lol:

Ccleaner is pretty good for PCs, and OK for most uses. But the only absolutely sure way is to delete what you don't want then copy everything over to a brand-new drive using something like Macrium Reflect, and physically destroy the old drive. Like, melt it in a furnace or something haha, or lob it over the side of a ferry in the middle of the Atlantic.

Most of the PL infrastructure is on AWS. I pen-tested part of it early last year. Good luck wiping that for good.