Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I think he believes they will initially contest it, the hearing will just be arguments and no evidence disclosed. He believes they will fold once disclosure starts otherwise it will be car crash for them.

I hope he's right. We can't have this dragging on into next season.

Just now, Wandy said:

I agree here having Ashley and Bruce in place for the start of the season will be a nightmare. Unfortunately I can see this happening as I'm far from convinced that this will be sorted by then one way or another.

Just now, et tu brute said:

I agree here having Ashley and Bruce in place for the start of the season will be a nightmare. Unfortunately I can see this happening as I'm far from convinced that this will be sorted by then one way or another.

Me neither. And based on nothing more than a hunch, I believe the Saudis will walk for good if this doesnt get approved before the summer transfer window closes. And I wouldnt really blame them either.

12 minutes ago, Wandy said:

The only danger I see is that they try and pull the same trick as NCSL case and argue the same issues are being dealt with in arbitration. I’m not sure it will be this easy with club now bringing case. Arbitration is on the sole issue of separation, this is far more encompassing so don’t think they’ll be successful in parking it again.

Edited by Whitley mag

8 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Me neither. And based on nothing more than a hunch, I believe the Saudis will walk for good if this doesnt get approved before the summer transfer window closes. And I wouldnt really blame them either.

I don't see them walking away regardless.  It's come this far and if everything is still rolling on, I don't see why they'd step back and write all of the hard work off.

16 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

The only danger I see is that they try and pull the same trick as NCSL case and argue the same issues are being dealt with in arbitration. I’m not sure it will be this easy with club now bringing case. Arbitration is on the sole issue of separation, this is far more encompassing so don’t think they’ll be successful in parking it again.

Fingers crossed then, hopefully we will see some action and more direction as to what's happening and possible timelines in the near future.

1 hour ago, RS said:

Acknowledge and then delay again. It seems this is the PL plan. Hoping PIF have the patience. This could be another 6/9 months 

I don't think the PL can delay now this is anti-competition. From what I understand there is a strict time limit and not sticking to that can go against you. If it's a full case it can well go 6 months plus but that's just the time it takes, nothing the PL can do to string it out longer. 

Sorry lads I’m completely lost at what’s going on, I will try and put it how I see it.

The lawyers Ashley has hired , simply no news on what they are doing and where they are at with it? Expensive flop?

Some bloke called Keith is taking the PL to court and having more success on anti competition laws? 

However the PL as ever are stringing this out and we have no idea when a court case will start .

leaving me thinking this could take years?

where am I going wrong? Lads?

1 hour ago, GWN said:

Sorry lads I’m completely lost at what’s going on, I will try and put it how I see it.

The lawyers Ashley has hired , simply no news on what they are doing and where they are at with it? Expensive flop?

Some bloke called Keith is taking the PL to court and having more success on anti competition laws? 

However the PL as ever are stringing this out and we have no idea when a court case will start .

This is where you wrong. This is a government court, https://www.catribunal.org.uk/ , the PL can't just ignore it and "stringing things out". It has exact time line. You can go to the website and read it for yourself. From what I gather, Friday is the deadline for the PL to answer, if they ignore it they will be in trouble.

And this is another example people ignore the clear fact so they can put negativity into takeover. Maybe it's a defense mechanism for being too long under Ashley's abuse? Who knows?

1 hour ago, veriaqa said:

This is where you wrong. This is a government court, https://www.catribunal.org.uk/ , the PL can't just ignore it and "stringing things out". It has exact time line. You can go to the website and read it for yourself. From what I gather, Friday is the deadline for the PL to answer, if they ignore it they will be in trouble.

And this is another example people ignore the clear fact so they can put negativity into takeover. Maybe it's a defense mechanism for being too long under Ashley's abuse? Who knows?

I think your spot on with the defense mechanism theory 

You're wrong because you're either not paying attention at all, not paying attention to details, or only paying attention to the stuff that reinforces your existing viewpoint.

1 hour ago, GWN said:

Ashley nor his lawyers are required or compelled to provide any public disclosure of what they have or have not been doing.  It is a completely wrong assumption that because you've heard nothing about what is happening that nothing is happening.  When you're at work (assuming you've got a job) and hear nothing about what your friend did during their day, do you assume that your friend did nothing, do you assume your friend just stood on the spot where you last spoke to them and did absolutely nothing?  Of course not, it's just that they didn't tell you what they did (possibly because it wasn't interesting, possibly because they just didn't want to tell you), but it doesn't mean they did nothing.

1 hour ago, GWN said:

No.  Some bloke named Keith was working on an anti-competition case that looked like it might have some valid evidence and arguments in law.  The club were so convinced that it might have achieved something that they took Keith's evidence (with Keith's permission) and arguments, added it to their own evidence and arguments, and the club have launched their own formal proceedings in the Competition Appeal Tribunal (CAT).

3 hours ago, GWN said:

We have no evidence whether the PL is or is not "stringing this out" as there has been nothing publicly disclosed about what the PL has or has not done as a result of the CAT case nor anything disclosed about what is being said or done by the PL to or in response to the arbitration process.  Per my comment above, a lack of evidence of activity is not evidence of a lack of activity.

3 hours ago, GWN said:

You're going wrong by having existing assumptions (about the PL's behaviour, about Ashley's behaviour, about how processes should work if you ran them, etc) and viewing any piece of information through the lenses of your own assumptions.

3 hours ago, GWN said:

Also the club are now taking the PL to the tribunal, check the tribunal website they will list progress through the stages, when/if it goes to a full hearing it will be streamed I understand.

Think someone has jumped the gun a bit on saying things will happen this week.

https://www.catribunal.org.uk/sites/default/files/2017-11/The_Competition_Appeal_Tribunal_Rules_2015.pdf

page 11.

means no response due until at least June 3rd.

even then the response is likely to be just a straight rebuff from the PL that’s going to generate negativity.

hold the message that these matters won’t get resolved imminently and keep the faith!

So the relaxing of FFP, is that only this year? Assume it's going to come back in some form ready for next season?

You'd think our potential buyers would certainly want the takeover to go through before too much changes with that, no?

8 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

So the relaxing of FFP, is that only this year? Assume it's going to come back in some form ready for next season?

You'd think our potential buyers would certainly want the takeover to go through before too much changes with that, no?

I’m surprised that a club haven’t took UEFA/PL  to Court and argued that FFP is a restriction on trade, if football clubs are a businesses then I can’t think of any other sectors of business where restrictions on spending are imposed tbh. Wealthy owners of businesses outside of football/ sport can plough in their own money.

14 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

only if their plan is to spend a shed load of cash. Of course that might not be their plan 

Just now, ED209 said:

only if their plan is to spend a shed load of cash. Of course that might not be their plan 

Can’t they spend what they want on infrastructure? My understanding is FFP only applies to buying players.

6 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Can’t they spend what they want on infrastructure? My understanding is FFP only applies to buying players.

I hope so considering the Saudis are spending £150 million + for one night of boxing,  imagine what they could do for the city of Newcastle. 

1 minute ago, Ben said:

I hope so considering the Saudis are spending £150 million + for one night of boxing,  imagine what they could do for the city of Newcastle. 

Yes, the boxing was announced yesterday, I don’t see many of the sports journo’s condemning the fight going ahead in Saudi. 

52 minutes ago, GWN said:

Thank for the replies , bit of an undertone like , I was only fuking asking :lol:

sorry just wanted a run down on where it’s at 👍

😀 TBF you got one like 

Looks like the EPL response should be this week, was some doubt earlier it maybe next week. It’ll fall on deaf ears but I hope everyone keeps their shit together when the response comes. Clearly they’ll fight this and sound confident in their position, but the acid test will only be when disclosure comes. Fully expect the likes of Edwards and Matt Slater to paint the PL’s defence as strong, but we’ve been here before lads and know the drill. HTFL.

Edited by Whitley mag