Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

7 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Did anything come of this week's deadlines? 

The deadline for disclosure in the arbitration is today (if the arbitration tribunal agreed to the extension the PL requested, otherwise it was earlier this month).

But the arbitration is confidential so I would expect us to hear anything from that anyway.

Just now, Jackie Broon said:

The deadline for disclosure in the arbitration is today (if the arbitration tribunal agreed to the extension the PL requested, otherwise it was earlier this month).

But the arbitration is confidential so I would expect us to hear anything from that anyway.

He's just :fishing:

1 minute ago, Jackie Broon said:

Thanks

23 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Gorgeous George says let the takeover go through.

I miss his rants in the ME back when he was friends with Saddam. He used to stand upturned apple boxes and shout “There is one Quran! One Allah! One religion!”, like a mad preacher. 

I thought he was nuts at the time but I’ve grown to like his approach. I think he was just trying to piss off chickenhawk Chris Hitchens. 

Edited by Candi_Hills

46 minutes ago, Candi_Hills said:

I miss his rants in the ME back when he was friends with Saddam. He used to stand upturned apple boxes and shout “There is one Quran! One Allah! One religion!”, like a mad preacher. 

I thought he was nuts at the time but I’ve grown to like his approach. I think he was just trying to piss off chickenhawk Chris Hitchens. 

It's right what he is saying, and IMO it's the only chance of getting it through, if it can be proven that a different set of standards were deliberately set against us compared to the likes of City etc in an obvious attempt to thwart it. Because I just dont see us winning arbitration.

52 minutes ago, Wandy said:

It's right what he is saying, and IMO it's the only chance of getting it through, if it can be proven that a different set of standards were deliberately set against us compared to the likes of City etc in an obvious attempt to thwart it. Because I just dont see us winning arbitration.

You would think that, wouldn't you? De Marco should be able say, "They're state owned, he's killed 4 people with his own hands, he was bankrupt when he passed the test, he didn't even do the test..."

Edited by Candi_Hills

On 25/05/2021 at 01:09, Consortium of one said:

Bein was in the process of renewing their contract for the EPL rights when the takeover started.  Since BeoutQ  originated in the KSA I think they had every right to bring it to EPL and ask that the piracy be resolved.  

But the point that is being overlooked is BeoutQ were stealing from Bein not the EPL clubs.  If Bein coudn't prevent the piracy, how could they expect the EPL to do so.  The only way that could be achieved would be to block Bein surely, because it was their broadcasts that were being pirated, not the EPL broadcasts.  Bein arguing that the Saudis were stealing from the EPL clubs is nonsense.  BeoutQ was stealing from Bein who had already paid £500m for the right to broadcast to the MENA region and that money went to the clubs via the EPL.  What Bein probably meant was they would not pay £500m for the broadcasting rights in future due to the piracy, which meant the EPL clubs would get less, hence the roundabout route of arguing the Saudis were stealing from the clubs, which to me is a rather tenuous argument.

I'm sure BeIn's position was "Why should we pay for the rights again if you are allowing the country who looks the other way, re: piracy, to buy a club?"  What if no one else was able to pony up 500M?  This all goes back to separating the PIF from KSA though.

Guest reefatoon
15 minutes ago, Darth Crooks said:

These threads are sort of like a less fun version of slamming your bollocks in the hinge of a door.

[emoji38] And we are all in here all the time like a bunch of fetish hinge loving bollock busters.

48 minutes ago, Darth Crooks said:

These threads are sort of like a less fun version of slamming your bollocks in the hinge of a door.

This from experience or??

Guest reefatoon

The end of July would be a great time. Would give Rafa plenty time to bring in what he needs. That first game of the season would be amazing!

Guest neesy111
5 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

The end of July would be a great time. Would give Rafa plenty time to bring in what he needs. That first game of the season would be amazing!

Would it?  Doesn't the transfer window close when the season starts?

Guest reefatoon
3 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Would it?  Doesn't the transfer window close when the season starts?

Transfer dealings are normally a little slow when there is a tournament, so if it's earlier July and not the end, it wouldn't be too bad. Plus we all know Rafa will already have his list made and ready to go. Always ahead of the game that fella.