Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

The ambition has always been to try and get the club competing regularly in Europe and preferably the Champions League. Staveley's planned mission statement was to that effect, if things had gone more plain-sailing (and tbh I expect she'll be back even without the Saudis having found another partner in the future!). I always also got the impression the Saudis were simply funding Staveley's project with the Reubens to support their own ambitions, and PIF wanting the most value for their investment. https://theathletic.co.uk/1963915/2020/07/30/amanda-staveley-the-premier-league-impossible-ridiculous-newcastle-united-interview/

"A mission statement was prepared and practised. She would have talked about ambition and drive, about getting to the Champions League, about communicating with fans, embracing club legends, funding the women’s team, reaching out to local businesses and institutions."

3 hours ago, andyc35i said:

You’re also assuming Bruce would be sacked straightaway - I can’t see that happening as much as we all want it 

I think Bruce would be kept on. Most likely in a catering role until his contract expires

44 minutes ago, HTT II said:

They will want the absolute best for their investment/asset and money will not be a concern. They will spend whatever it takes to turn NUFC into an elite and successful club, as that’s the whole point of their investment. I seem to remember Man City’s owners making similar noises about spending conservatively when they took them over...

Exactly. Seems to have said this a few times now, but if NUFC is carrying any sort of connection to Saudi Arabia, they won't want to be associated with a run of the mill football club. They'll want to be up there challenging for honours. 

Why else does anyone think Liverpool or Spurs were trying to strong arm the PL into blocking the takeover?

Guest reefatoon
19 minutes ago, RS said:

I think Bruce would be kept on. Most likely in a catering role until his contract expires

Fucking hell, putting Bruce in charge of catering would be akin to putting Jimmy Saville in charge of the youth team.

5 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Fucking hell, putting Bruce in charge of catering would be akin to putting Jimmy Saville in charge of the youth team.

The thought of Bruce asking the players to milk a cow while blindfolded......:icon_puke_l:

50 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

The ambition has always been to try and get the club competing regularly in Europe and preferably the Champions League. Staveley's planned mission statement was to that effect, if things had gone more plain-sailing (and tbh I expect she'll be back even without the Saudis having found another partner in the future!). I always also got the impression the Saudis were simply funding Staveley's project with the Reubens to support their own ambitions, and PIF wanting the most value for their investment. https://theathletic.co.uk/1963915/2020/07/30/amanda-staveley-the-premier-league-impossible-ridiculous-newcastle-united-interview/

"A mission statement was prepared and practised. She would have talked about ambition and drive, about getting to the Champions League, about communicating with fans, embracing club legends, funding the women’s team, reaching out to local businesses and institutions."

Don’t man :(

6 hours ago, RS said:

I actually think if Rafa is still available and is lined up for the role, then he would be in at a drop of a hat. He knows a lot of the squad and would be a big early win for the consortium with a manager the whole club would be behind. Think Bruce would be quite happy to leave also with a nice pay off and he would still get a job in the championship.

Edited by et tu brute

16 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I actually think if Rafa is still available and is lined up for the role, then he would be in at a drop of a hat. He knows a lot of the squad and would be a big early win for the consortium with a manager the whole club would be behind. Think Bruce would be quite happy to leave also with a nice pay off and he would still get a job in the championship.

Couldn't care less if he couldn't get a job in a chip shop.

(I do realise it'd be the wrong side of the counter for him.)

2 hours ago, et tu brute said:

Rafa will 'still' be available, quite specifically and deliberately, Rafa will be available . . . 

7 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

At the rate we are going Rafa could take a 2 year short deal elsewhere and we still may just about be ready for him.

It's certainly taking a while, but hopefully the next few months (with the ongoing two-pronged attack) will see the result we are all waiting for. Specific dates are unknown, but it will not be as long as 2 years !!!!

38 minutes ago, manorpark said:

It's certainly taking a while, but hopefully the next few months (with the ongoing two-pronged attack) will see the result we are all waiting for. Specific dates are unknown, but it will not be as long as 2 years !!!!

Can you say a bit more about how you know it will not be as long as 2 years? 

7 hours ago, LV said:

Can you say a bit more about how you know it will not be as long as 2 years? 

The same thing as always.

The nature of the people involved on both sides (particularly ours) the accumulation of facts and evidence, and the 'time-limited' legal actions (two of them) that are currently underway.

There is no logic to any assertion that it could take such a long time.

I would hope that you would look at the logic of the current situation and come to that same obvious conclusion?

4 hours ago, manorpark said:

The nature of the people involved on both sides (particularly ours) the accumulation of facts and evidence, and the 'time-limited' legal actions (two of them) that are currently underway.

I would hope that you would look at the logic of the current situation and come to that same obvious conclusion?

You don't know that it won't take two years.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

7 hours ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

You don't know that it won't take two years.

I'm just trying to say (again) that on the basis of all we know now, it is very unlikely to take anything like that long.

You know that is what I am saying, and please don't say "how can you know what I know" !!!!!

Guest dazzanufc1892
11 hours ago, manorpark said:

On the basis of what we know..... You're making arguments based on your beliefs, not facts. I have chose not to answer these points often but your optimism also discounts the myriad of possibilities as it is based on simplicity.

Extension requests due to further evidence, Adjournments for a vast amounts of reason. Immediate appeals thus nulling any outcomes. This isnt as simple as 'we will get a decision because dates are set'.

It is highly likely that due to expedition one side will feel that they had inadequate time to prepare and appeal an outcome citing the need for further investigation. 

23 minutes ago, dazzanufc1892 said:

On the basis of what we know..... You're making arguments based on your beliefs, not facts. I have chose not to answer these points often but your optimism also discounts the myriad of possibilities as it is based on simplicity.

Extension requests due to further evidence, Adjournments for a vast amounts of reason. Immediate appeals thus nulling any outcomes. This isnt as simple as 'we will get a decision because dates are set'.

It is highly likely that due to expedition one side will feel that they had inadequate time to prepare and appeal an outcome citing the need for further investigation. 

There’s absolutely no point trying to reason with him tbh