Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

Just now, Pons Alias said:

Rafa would have been great - but I do think there is a lot in ‘never go back’.

Aye. Love the bloke and him being the person to win us our first trophy after 50 odd years would have been magical.

However, I do think that under new owners who are happy to throw money at the club, there would have been an element of our support who were very impatient and unwilling to ago through the rebuild process that would inventively happen. 

Said last week that Rafa would take the first job that he fought was a fit. He was never going to wait on the chance the takeover would go through. All the positive sound bites are coming from Ashley’s side (fair as he’s the one directly fighting the two cases) and nothing from the consortium side. Think we all know how much trust Rafa puts in anything coming from Ashley. He was never going to gamble missing out on a current job offer, on the basis a takeover could happen. 

Here, have something "positive" Knight Ryder speaks! https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-takeover-rafa-benitez-never-20835656

Rafa Benitez's return to Newcastle United as boss was never a stipulation of the club's Middle East takeover - meaning his imminent Premier League comeback with Everton won't affect potential new ownership.

It was Benitez, through his contacts, that brought Amanda Staveley to the table at St James' Park when PCP Capital Partners tried to buy the club four years ago.

And at that stage the plan was for Benitez to be backed by Staveley and co.

Since then things have moved on - and in a different direction - with Benitez never an automatic choice for Staveley, the Reuben brothers and Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund.

Indeed at one stage last summer it was Mauricio Pochettino who was being touted to be the head coach under a possible new regime.

But even then that was never confirmed and current boss Steve Bruce was set to get the chance to work for new owners to begin with.

So in short, Benitez's appointment at Everton has nothing to do with anything takeover wise and there has been no change on whether it will be passed or not as legal proceedings continue.

I like that people seem to think that there is some big group of people at the club and around the sport in general that know how this is all going to play out and they're all passing info to each other and making their moves accordingly.

Seems more likely that nobody has a fucking clue how this is all going to go, hence the whole court case.

best thing to do is enjoy the Euros and wait and see what happens with the takeover from official sources i.e the club.  Anything else is just click bait.

Takeover happens - superb I will re-enage with NUFC

Takeover doesn't happen - crap and time to ditch football/NUFC entirely

1 hour ago, Joey Linton said:

Yeah, this. There's actually something worth discussing tonight for a change.

Mind the only reason it's being linked to the takeover is because the over positive brigade led by the likes of  kennedy insisted Benitez getting another job would be bad news. Now that looks like happening they are doing a massive rewrite. 

Don’t you dare question it though! It was always irrelevant to the takeover, apparently… :lol: Nobody ever said it would be a bad sign.

This place is worse than RAWK at the moment.

tenor.gif

Really disappointing news about Benitez, and there's no point in sugar coating it being anything other than a worrying blow to the takeover chances. He would have been a perfect fit for our prospective new owners' project and where we currently stand as a club.

I'd love to think his time at Everton will be a disaster, especially considering the way their fans are reacting to it, but I don't think it will be. If they get over the LFC connection and his off-the-cuff comments about them all those years ago he will have them in the top six.

It surely means nothing imo. I believe Rafa would have bitten their hand off if a takeover had developed but I don't blame him taking a guaranteed, equally tempting project whilst legal cases still have to be played out.

While we do love Rafa, he loves to work. So while we're still in purgatory he can go and manage a club on his doorstep who have immense ambition, who could blame him for going for it.

Means absolutely feck all to our takeover chances and whether that will happen, people alluding to the two things being wedded are just twisting the story for clicks. 

I'm still amazed people fall for that nonsense, but alas we are in the era of some people believing anything they read on twitter, or any other cess filled thick as fuck spunk magnets they like to get their info from.

Edited by Bimpy474

As much as Rafa would have been great, with Saudi money bank rolling us I really couldn’t care less. 

Yeah Rafa had the personal touch and seemed to get the club and area, however with money I’m not sure he actually would be the best fit. 

With bigger signings comes increased expectations. His best spell in the transfer market appears to be his time at Napoli. However, Rafa has an obsession with collecting average full backs and whilst his opinion of Joelinton was clearly spot on, let’s not forget he wanted Jorgensen for 20 million plus. He got rid of Toney, Armstrong and I was less than impressed with his handling of Merino in the run in.

Rafa’s a tactical genius compared to the rest under Ashley, but with new ownership he’s not the be all and end all. 

Yeah Rafa would have grand ideas for the training ground and academy. But under Staveley they we’re looking at top European directors of football. These things will be developed regardless of Rafa being here or not. 

He was great whilst he was here, let’s remember him fondly, but hopefully we have a new exciting era coming our way soon.

Think everyone realises that this is probably last chance saloon for our club to be in a position financially, to compete to a level that we all would dream for. We had a snip of it for a few years under Keegan and to a lesser extent Robson, but never would we have the financial power that this takeover would bring. Failure would in my opinion totally decimate the club and a lot of the fanbase. Never again could I see the posibility of owners with such wealth be in the market to buy NUFC. I agree that we would love to see an owner with even the ambition to move the club forward (not the same as PIFs financial power), but after 14 years of a total lack of anything, would at least give us something to get behind. 

The big issue in my mind is that I am pretty sure that Ashley would not be willing to reduce the current asking price of the club. It's still a huge surprise that PIF are by all accounts still in agreement with the original price. The club is nowhere near being worth the alleged agreed price, when you take into account the huge amount of money it will cost to improve just about every aspect of the club. We even have an example of this within the current consortium, with the Reubens easily being able to purchase the club on their own wealth, but they don't see the possible potential as an option for overall investment. This year has been a total and utter mind fuck, the huge excitement of the massive opportunites, being countered against the possible realism of more years of Ashley's stranglehold. It really is a scenario of a person having the wealth to shop at Harrods daily compared to a person on benefits planning for a fortnightly shop at Lidl. Total chalk and cheese.       

The cases are now in play and going through the courts, but although an end is in sight, the hope or dread of the decisions made just continues to roll on ever slowly. This is made worse as nobody know who will have the winning evidence/arguments; and this only results in a divided fanbase arguing their personal opinions, based mainly on guesswork only.