Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

Just now, Joey Linton said:

NUST should be what their members want them to be.

To be that they need to ask them though. If the result of that means involving themselves in a protest them that's what they should be doing. Not writing letters or sending tweets that appear to authorising someone else to do it. 

NUST are in difficult position. They are an official fan group. If they go for a protest and say it was against the club, the club could pull their official status away from them. If they did it against official football authorities, the FA and FSA could pull their status from them. Without it they have nothing and no ability or right to go into meetings with these people.

They automatically then lose their right to speak on behalf of the supporters.

As I have said, we have had numerous groups in the past who’s only objective is to protest, many of them who had the same people running them as NUST has now and in the past.

The people behind NUST have backed these groups but cannot do that under the NUST banner.

24 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Holly > NUST

Just watched a clip of her interview.  Well done lass!   Makes the NUST "response" all the more embarrassing....  to be outdone on something so important to fans (i.e. it's members) by a 16 year old.    They can consider themselves 1 member down.

2 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

NUST should be what their members want them to be.

To be that they need to ask them though. If the result of that means involving themselves in a protest them that's what they should be doing. Not writing letters or sending tweets that appear to authorising someone else to do it. 

I'm a little conflicted with it. I do think they should have helped to promote this protest more. And that statement from last night is clearly a shambles and would have been better left untweeted.

But at the same time I don't really want the trust being a protest group, or at least not with the current board anyway because it's not their strong suit. I think there are other groups within the fanbase better suited to getting everyone radged up and motivated to protest. What the trust did well was sending the legal analysis last year and getting Masters on the record confirming the importance of, and his agreement to, transparency. Which the lawyers are hopefully using to hold his feet to the fire in this CAT jurisdiction hearing coming up. And in my opinion (they would probably tell me to fuck off) that's what they're good at, the serious/boring stuff.

The fanbase as a whole is, if we're honest,  going to have a minimal impact on whether this happens or not, but lets make it an effort from the whole fanbase and not just bitching at the trust about everything.

I know it's an emotional topic with the takeover on and that but I do think the stroppiness about the pledge scheme here and elsewhere is unfair misplaced. The whole point of a supporters trust is to attempt to gain a measure of influence in the club on behalf of the fanbase. In this country the most realistic way that is going to happen is by getting funds together to buy a small (or if the shit hits the fan big) stake in the club. I'm sure that Alex said he was elected on the basis that he was going to do that, so it's absolutely the right thing for them to be doing regardless of what they have or haven't done re the takeover.

As you say, the trust needs to listen to its members. They've got elections on now for an expanded board and if "pro-protest" candidates stand and get elected then they will probably change direction again. Which will be the right thing for them to do.

Tl;dr- the Trust fucked up on this occasion, but the criticism is over the top and not constructive in nature. And having pissed off both those criticising and defending the trust I now await the shitstorm that is coming my way :lol:

2 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

I'm a little conflicted with it. I do think they should have helped to promote this protest more. And that statement from last night is clearly a shambles and would have been better left untweeted.

But at the same time I don't really want the trust being a protest group, or at least not with the current board anyway because it's not their strong suit. I think there are other groups within the fanbase better suited to getting everyone radged up and motivated to protest. What the trust did well was sending the legal analysis last year and getting Masters on the record confirming the importance of, and his agreement to, transparency. Which the lawyers are hopefully using to hold his feet to the fire in this CAT jurisdiction hearing coming up. And in my opinion (they would probably tell me to fuck off) that's what they're good at, the serious/boring stuff.

The fanbase as a whole is, if we're honest,  going to have a minimal impact on whether this happens or not, but lets make it an effort from the whole fanbase and not just bitching at the trust about everything.

I know it's an emotional topic with the takeover on and that but I do think the stroppiness about the pledge scheme here and elsewhere is unfair misplaced. The whole point of a supporters trust is to attempt to gain a measure of influence in the club on behalf of the fanbase. In this country the most realistic way that is going to happen is by getting funds together to buy a small (or if the shit hits the fan big) stake in the club. I'm sure that Alex said he was elected on the basis that he was going to do that, so it's absolutely the right thing for them to be doing regardless of what they have or haven't done re the takeover.

As you say, the trust needs to listen to its members. They've got elections on now for an expanded board and if "pro-protest" candidates stand and get elected then they will probably change direction again. Which will be the right thing for them to do.

Tl;dr- the Trust fucked up on this occasion, but the criticism is over the top and not constructive in nature. And having pissed off both those criticising and defending the trust I now await the shitstorm that is coming my way :lol:

I think that's a well put, eloquent summary. Good post.

15 minutes ago, Stifler said:

NUST are in difficult position. They are an official fan group. If they go for a protest and say it was against the club, the club could pull their official status away from them. If they did it against official football authorities, the FA and FSA could pull their status from them. Without it they have nothing and no ability or right to go into meetings with these people.

As I have said, we have had numerous groups in the past who’s only objective is to protest, many of them who had the same people running them as NUST has now and in the past.

The people behind NUST have backed these groups but cannot do that under the NUST banner.

Not sure that's right mind- the FSA especially aren't going to pull their affiliation for peacefully protesting against anyone. And if they did, it wouldn't be an affiliation worth having to begin with.

56 minutes ago, Stifler said:

You literally had a few different protest groups which no one ever took seriously and absolutely slated. You literally had one group make a protest scarf which took a lot of doing because as it happens, Mike Ashley is involved with all the scarf making suppliers which meant they wouldn’t produce one.

Instead of asking for NUST to be a protest group, ask why all the others failed and why the only protest group being able to do something now is ran by a guy who will take every opportunity to sell you one of his shitty homemade t-shirts, and is seen to be someone who cares more about his own publicity than that of others or the club by the majority of the fan base. 

Why would waving a scarf about change anything ?

34 minutes ago, Stifler said:

The FSA won't pull their status. What a load of rubbish this post is. [emoji38]

55 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Yeah, because with their "status" they have made a world of difference to matters at the club, haven't they?

This is the problem with that lot. Obsessed with their status and therefore dancing to Ashley's tune, and now the PL's too. 

What I'd like to know is, if the takeover is not in their scope, then what gave them the right to speak to Masters last year on behalf of the support? Do they just pick and choose when to take part in it, or is it just when they are invited to cosy meetings with the authorities to make them feel like they have "status".

There is nothing that the NUST have done that a well run supporters club could do equally well or better. The whole fan ownership thing is a fantasy and would only antagonise owners, rather than getting them on board.

And say what you like about Wraith, but he has done more work highlighting the problems at NUFC than the whole of NUST put together. And he is only one individual.

Pretty sure the clubs official status is fight for this takeover please.

Club put out a fucking official statement saying we want the takeover.  WTF more do NUST want.

1 minute ago, Slim said:

Pretty sure the clubs official status is fight for this takeover please.

Club put out a fucking official statement saying we want the takeover.  WTF more do NUST want.

It's the most important thing to happen to NUFC and the city in generations and they have just sat on their hands. Fucking appalling.

Sadly agree. It’s not even anti-Ashley at this stage and when the club are publicly wanting the sale, why the hell aren’t NUST doing more to support things like today or in other ways? It’s not like it’s antagonising the club.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

29 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Yeah, because with their "status" they have made a world of difference to matters at the club, haven't they?

This is the problem with that lot. Obsessed with their status and therefore dancing to Ashley's tune, and now the PL's too. 

What I'd like to know is, if the takeover is not in their scope, then what gave them the right to speak to Masters last year on behalf of the support? Do they just pick and choose when to take part in it, or is it just when they are invited to cosy meetings with the authorities to make them feel like they have "status".

There is nothing that the NUST have done that a well run supporters club could do equally well or better. The whole fan ownership thing is a fantasy and would only antagonise owners, rather than getting them on board.

And say what you like about Wraith, but he has done more work highlighting the problems at NUFC than the whole of NUST put together. And he is only one individual.

Was gonna like the post till the Wraith bit [emoji38]

But aye, apart from that spot on.

1 minute ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Was gonna like the post till the Wraith bit [emoji38]

But aye, apart from that spot on.

I'm neither a fan nor a detractor of him tbh. Yeah, he does the self publicity thing well, but plenty of people have used the club in the past for their own ends whilst still making efforts to make the club better at the same time. Sir John Hall being one of them. Hall made a fortune out of NUFC but that was fine as everyone knew he was also striving to make the club better too. Whatever you think of Wraith, his passion for NUFC is not in question IMO.

8 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I'm neither a fan nor a detractor of him tbh. Yeah, he does the self publicity thing well, but plenty of people have used the club in the past for their own ends whilst still making efforts to make the club better at the same time. Sir John Hall being one of them. Hall made a fortune out of NUFC but that was fine as everyone knew he was also striving to make the club better too. Whatever you think of Wraith, his passion for NUFC is not in question IMO.

Not sure how Wraith is striving to make the club better like, fair play to him being down there today i suppose but as has been said, what we we all want is the takeover, transparency from the PL is neither here nor there for me.

Re NUST. Have to be honest they roped me in with the fan ownership thing but I cancelled my direct debit last week as I just find them to be a bit pointless. Too busy sending emails about elections to do anything proactive re the takeover. 

Problem with us is we have about 35 “fan groups”. The amount of fans we have and the passion that we have, we would be some force if we were United. Sadly that’ll never be the case.