Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

6 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

I dont think Ive read anywhere that contracts were signed [emoji38]

The contract were signed, the government already briefed about the sale, money are prepared to be exchanged then something happened.

Basically the club was practically sold last year before the PL change their mind about Saudi involvement 

Edited by veriaqa

Just now, manorpark said:

You must be choosing to make that up, but I cannot work out quite why you are doing so.

I mean, I knew the sale was very close, hence Staveleys confidence last year, but I didnt realise that.

Not sure why you think i might be making it up

4 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

I mean, I knew the sale was very close, hence Staveleys confidence last year, but I didnt realise that.

Only because the exchanging of contracts and deposits of money, etc, was so much in the public domain then, as now.

Sorry, but I could not think of any other reason why you would write what you wrote.

6 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

the sale wasn’t ‘close’. The sale was done, subject to regulatory approval ie the fit and proper owner test.

3 minutes ago, Rosenrot said:

the sale wasn’t ‘close’. The sale was done, subject to regulatory approval ie the fit and proper owner test.

And subject to that happening by 30th June 2020, the PL procrastinated so long that the contract expired.

Edited by Jackie Broon

Yeah i get all that - I just dont remember reading that, not only had contracts been drawn up for signature, but actually signed and exchanged.

When Ive read that the sale was 'done' i thought that meant the sale was agreed verbally or in principle.

Was there a 14 day cooling off period?

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Oh to hear this ringing around a full St Jame’s at home to West Ham.

Surely the obvious tune should be to 'I Love You Baby' from 'Cant Take My Eyes of You'

I hate Bruce as much as anybody and I'm sure he will be replaced once this goes through but assuming everybody stays and Willock comes back as seems likely we'll not go down. It won't be pretty but once we had our best players available and Jones had them in a formation that got the best out of them we looked relatively competent. As long as the takeover is approved it can be anytime in the next few months as far as I'm concerned, obviously the sooner the better but I don't think we're in a race against time particularly.

Mind you if Jones left tomorrow I'd feel a lot less relaxed about it!

21 minutes ago, Ashley17 said:

I hate Bruce as much as anybody and I'm sure he will be replaced once this goes through but assuming everybody stays and Willock comes back as seems likely we'll not go down. It won't be pretty but once we had our best players available and Jones had them in a formation that got the best out of them we looked relatively competent. As long as the takeover is approved it can be anytime in the next few months as far as I'm concerned, obviously the sooner the better but I don't think we're in a race against time particularly.

Mind you if Jones left tomorrow I'd feel a lot less relaxed about it!

I do wonder why players like Fernanades and Schar signed new contracts. I can't bring myself to believe it's a Bruce influence and more Jones - some of his training sessions with England looked pretty good.

Hoping Lejeune will be given another chance as well.

Cant see us in a relegation scrap with Jones, if we get Willock and can keep ASM

2 hours ago, Lazarus said:

Yeah i get all that - I just dont remember reading that, not only had contracts been drawn up for signature, but actually signed and exchanged.

When Ive read that the sale was 'done' i thought that meant the sale was agreed verbally or in principle.

Was there a 14 day cooling off period?

Contracts like this one would effectively say we're presently making a binding agreement that the sale will occur at a closing that will happen once contingencies X, Y, and Z, etc., have been satisfied, but if all of those contingencies haven't been satisfied by date A, the contract terminates, either automatically or at the parties' option, and closing doesn't happen. In this case one of those contingencies would have been the O & D test (either expressly or implicitly). Having said that, obviously I haven't seen the contract -- this is just how these normally work.

Edited by B-more Mag

I don't mind if we don't have the new owners in by the end of the transfer window. Just as long as the takeover is done before the next window.

What a waste of money to be given to Steve Bruce if we were takenover ala City style near the end of a window. He'd probably sign an unknown Brazillian named Ribena instead of some one known like Robinho was with City.

Edited by nufcjb

10 hours ago, Stifler said:

You want to know why NUST are not quick to protest, because our fans largely aren’t interested in protesting. It’s ok saying the demand is there by looking at Twitter, but in reality it isn’t.

I was there holding a banner up when the Magpie Group were protesting, instead we got people shouting for Ashley to go as they walked through the turnstile. We had the kid who does Toon Polls grassing us up which resulted in the Keegan flag being confiscated by stewards.

We asked fans how they wanted to protest, people kept saying they wanted a boycott, and late walk in’s, we did both, people went in fucking early and still went to the games.

We organised a protest to SD’s HQ which the fans said they wanted, we had to cancel because we didn’t get enough people to even cover the price for 1 bus.

Just because the majority of NUFC's support are not interested in protests, this does not give the NUST a free pass to say that they shouldn't do it either.

In the late 80s the Supporters For Change group had a similar uphill battle, trying to get fans to boycott matches in order to force out Gordon McKeag and his cronies, and allow John Hall to get control of the club. The fact that only a few thousand, at best, took part in the boycotts, this did not deter the SFC in carrying on with their campaign. And eventually, they played their part in getting the change that was needed.

Our support has always been like this. The vast majority just want to turn up and watch the game, and cannot be bothered with the politics. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is and always will be. Which makes it even more important for a supporters group to be vocal...and militant...when real change is within grasp. NUST don't want to do the real graft like unappetising protests 300 miles away and want to stick to lame, powderpuff stuff like strongly worded emails and letters to politicians.

Edited by Wandy

40 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Just because the majority of NUFC's support are not interested in protests, this does not give the NUST a free pass to say that they shouldn't do it either.

In the late 80s the Supporters For Change group had a similar uphill battle, trying to get fans to boycott matches in order to force out Gordon McKeag and his cronies, and allow John Hall to get control of the club. The fact that only a few thousand, at best, took part in the boycotts, this did not deter the SFC in carrying on with their campaign. And eventually, they played their part in getting the change that was needed.

Our support has always been like this. The vast majority just want to turn up and watch the game, and cannot be bothered with the politics. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is and always will be. Which makes it even more important for a supporters group to be vocal...and militant...when real change is within grasp. NUST don't want to do the real graft like unappetising protests 300 miles away and want to stick to lame, powderpuff stuff like strongly worded emails and letters to politicians.

I think they should look at the 69 minute walk out (or similar). Those that walked out get their season ticket for free that year. Those that didn't have to pay double each year until they protest and organise a walk out. Let's weed out the chaff for the new era.