Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

3 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

Staveley isn't privy to the arbitration process in her own words. Consortium shouldn't know: On the arbitration process, which she has pleaded is made public, Staveley added: "I can’t talk about the actual arbitration process as I’m not privy to it but I can tell you all of the questions the Premier League presented to us were absolutely answered in an incredibly quick and timely manner.”

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/amanda-staveley-opens-up-on-her-exciting-plans-for-newcastle-united-3300201

I’m quite sure Ashley has kept the buyers in loop privately. Whatever the public line is from PCP, everything Ashley is doing is with a view to keeping PIF on board.

7 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Her husband could have been referring to anything, including the PL not being willing to let arb play out in public.

She's not married 

1 minute ago, Ashley17 said:

Can the CAT case be kicked down the road in the same way? I feel like if there’s a “do nothing” option it will be taken

Apparently not as it goes through a proper court process, the can kicking part is past when the Premier league failed to get it thrown out, it now has to take place or come up with a deal on the court steps.

1 minute ago, Ashley17 said:

Can the CAT case be kicked down the road in the same way? I feel like if there’s a “do nothing” option it will be taken

Yes -- one of the potential outcomes of the jurisdiction challenge is the CAT staying the case pending the arbitration.

3 minutes ago, Ben said:

Apparently not as it goes through a proper court process, the can kicking part is past when the Premier league failed to get it thrown out, it now has to take place or come up with a deal on the court steps.

The PL hasn't failed to get the CAT case thrown out. That was misinformation some people were spreading. (I mean, they haven't succeeded at it either. It's just still an open issue that the CAT will hold a hearing on.)

Edited by B-more Mag

4 minutes ago, Ben said:

She's not married 

In October 2011, she married British-Iranian financier Mehrdad Ghodoussi, in a ceremony held at West Wycombe Park in Buckinghamshire. Staveley lives in Dubai and has a house in London's Park Lane.

12 minutes ago, B-more Mag said:

Yes -- one of the potential outcomes of the jurisdiction challenge is the CAT staying the case pending the arbitration.

Thanks.

No wonder the PL haven’t settled if there’s a chance of further delays. I guess the next big milestone will be if this gets delayed or not then. If it doesn’t I’d expect the PL to settle or there’s going to be a lot of public information which I doubt they’ll be keen on.

18 minutes ago, B-more Mag said:

The PL hasn't failed to get the CAT case thrown out. That was misinformation some people were spreading. (I mean, they haven't succeeded at it either. It's just still an open issue that the CAT will hold a hearing on.)

I thought the Premier league missed the deadline to have it thrown out on the 12 July 

8 minutes ago, Ben said:

I thought the Premier league missed the deadline to have it thrown out on the 12 July 

No, that was the extended deadline for the PL to file its reply to St James Holdings's opposition to the PL's jurisdiction challenge. We don't know if the PL filed the reply or not, because the CAT doesn't post those on its website, and it would look really bad not to file one after asking for and getting an extension, but even then it wouldn't necessarily be fatal, because its main argument would have been in its original filing. In the CAT President's ruling on the extension, he indicated that the jurisdiction issue would be set in for a hearing.

Edited by B-more Mag

9 minutes ago, B-more Mag said:

No, that was the extended deadline for the PL to file its reply to St James Holdings's opposition to the PL's jurisdiction challenge. We don't know if the PL filed the reply or not, because the CAT doesn't post those on its website, and it would look really bad not to file one after asking for and getting an extension, but even then it wouldn't necessarily be fatal, because its main argument would have been in its original filing. In the CAT President's ruling on the extension, he indicated that the jurisdiction issue would be set in for a hearing.

So does that mean we have to wait x amount of time for a hearing to decide on the  jurisdiction issue…then if the hearing goes against the PL and CAT can go ahead then we have to wait,again, x amount of time before the CAT hearing goes ahead……Is this the timeframe

7 minutes ago, Jinky Jim said:

So does that mean we have to wait x amount of time for a hearing to decide on the  jurisdiction issue…then if the hearing goes against the PL and CAT can go ahead then we have to wait,again, x amount of time before the CAT hearing goes ahead……Is this the timeframe

Correct. For example, the PL hasn't been required to file its substantive defense to St James Holdings's claims yet, because the jurisdiction challenge is a preliminary issue about the CAT's authority to even hear the case. If that's resolved in Ashley's favor, then the PL has to file its substantive defense and then disclosure, etc., before the actual "trial" on the merits of the case. 

Edited by B-more Mag

16 minutes ago, B-more Mag said:

Correct. For example, the PL hasn't been required to file its substantive defense to St James Holdings's claims yet, because the jurisdiction challenge is a preliminary issue about the CAT's authority to even hear the case. If that's resolved in Ashley's favor, then the PL has to file its substantive defense and then disclosure, etc., before the actual "trial" on the merits of the case. 

Showing my thickness here…and last question…..Why is there a hearing over jurisdiction…Surely the Judge(S) or whoever arbitrates CAT, only need to look at both responses to the jurisdiction case and make a decision as to whether CAT has the right to deal with the case….or is that too simplistic.

Could the outcome related to Man City and the EPL have any impact. It would seem the EPL have had some busy lawyers over the last few years? They also reference the NUFC v EPL case in the judgement. Canny signings of Adam Lewis and Andrew Hunter QC's for the EPL!

8 minutes ago, Jinky Jim said:

Showing my thickness here…and last question…..Why is there a hearing over jurisdiction…Surely the Judge(S) or whoever arbitrates CAT, only need to look at both responses to the jurisdiction case and make a decision as to whether CAT has the right to deal with the case….or is that too simplistic.

In this case, the primary purpose is probably for the judge to ask questions and get answers to flesh out the parties' arguments. In some cases it would also be an opportunity to take testimony of witnesses, but in this case it seems like it would primarily be an issue of law that wouldn't require witnesses to the same extent (if at all) that fact issues often do.

4 minutes ago, B-more Mag said:

In this case, the primary purpose is probably for the judge to ask questions and get answers to flesh out the parties' arguments. In some cases it would also be an opportunity to take testimony of witnesses, but in this case it seems like it would primarily be an issue of law that wouldn't require witnesses to the same extent (if at all) that fact issues often do.

Thanks

1 minute ago, jonbobson said:

Why? 

Why question people's private lives? 

I think it went something like

"Her husband posted a negative tweet"

"She's not married"

"Yes she is"

"oh".

So it was relevant in the context of the suggestion her husband had reacted.