Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

I've just lost faith in the whole thing, Staveley is supposed to be a deal maker that gets stuff done, why not just get everyone in a room and thrash this out, one way or another, without the delay, arbitration has been kicked down the road for 6 months !! Why ? For what possible reason can an independent panel need a further 6 months to gather evidence after 17 months.

I hope I'm wrong because this is a real cross roads for me, but it looks like everyone involved is incompetent.

Something that is potentially interesting, the longer the Prem hold the takeover up - if it does eventually go through and the Prem were proven to have been creating an unlawful obstacle, then surely Mike Ashley, and possibly the Saudis for that matter, could have a considerable claim against the Prem for potential monies/earnings lost during that delay? At the very least could Ashley could claim that he's lost interest on the £300m that would have been in his back pocket had the takeover had gone through last year?... Or is that the general crux of Ashley's potential compo claim?

Edited by Armchair Pundit

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

I've just lost faith in the whole thing, Staveley is supposed to be a deal maker that gets stuff done, why not just get everyone in a room and thrash this out, one way or another, without the delay, arbitration has been kicked down the road for 6 months !! Why ? For what possible reason can an independent panel need a further 6 months to gather evidence after 17 months.

I hope I'm wrong because this is a real cross roads for me, but it looks like everyone involved is incompetent.

Keep your chin up where all fucking pissed off, I want nothing more than to feel able to go back to St Jame’s.

A settlement is still the easiest route out of this for all especially if CAT case gets go ahead. 

The best chance we have at the minute is the PL suddenly deciding to settle out of court and push the takeover through. This could happen literally any day. 

I've taken a company to court over money and the judge told us to go outside and try and settle it in the waiting room, if we can't then he will continue. This was at the hearing so even though this takeover case is a much much bigger scale, there is every chance the PL get told "get a deal done out of court", even more so IF the evidence we have them really is that strong. 

The arbitration delay may have been caused by our own legal team, it does seem weird that that was a huge push for transparency that we wouldn't have gotten from arbitration, but apparently will get from CAT. The ball was in their court as they could hide information, now it's in ours as if CAT goes ahead first things can get revealed. 

It's all guess work though and nobody knows what's really going on. I definitely don't think it's dead in the water, and I do think Ashley and the consortium (including PIF) still want to do the deal. That's as much confidence as I need really, I don't care how long it takes, as long as everyone stays committed to the deal,eventually I honestly believe it will get allowed to go through. 

What i dont get is - Competition law isnt some bizarre ancient Mesopotamian language that only 3 people globally can understand. Are you telling me Intelligent folk who can read etc have legal experience and having studied law cant at the very least have an opinion on something? 

8 minutes ago, Ganninup said:

What i dont get is - Competition law isnt some bizarre ancient Mesopotamian language that only 3 people globally can understand. Are you telling me Intelligent folk who can read etc have legal experience and having studied law cant at the very least have an opinion on something? 

There's your problem.

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

Two court cases. Whether it succeeds fuck knows, but it’s still being pursued by both sellers and buyers.

Seems like people need that reassurance on a daily basis 

I have no evidence either side of the argument but i just don’t see this weeks developments as a major setback. 

a) Why has MA and PL agreed to the movement of arbitration till 2022

b) if this was as negative as everyone suggests then why has MA and his media team not made a big fuss/issue about it

c) 6 months seems a long time to delay Arbitration…..perhaps MA has a good reason for delaying it for so long……I’m not privy to the reasoning but it seems a strange length of time.

d) If the takeover was really “dead” then perhaps we would have heard from AS/Reubens/PIF by now.

e) We would definitely heard from Bein Jacobs and Hairy Hands if this was the final nail in the coffin.

Like i say i have no reason to be Positive after these developments but i also think that there is more to come about the takeover. As many have pointed out, best we let this theatre play out and hope for some good news in the not so distant future.

59 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Huh? All the evidence points to it being off?

You don’t have two ongoing cases if there is no takeover in the background, especially the arbitration case. Hey I haven’t a clue what’s going to happen, but Ashley is not going to waste money (millions) on two cases if it was off. He has to pay even more out now since the arbitration has been moved back 6 months. 

Edited by et tu brute

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, Jinky Jim said:

I have no evidence either side of the argument but i just don’t see this weeks developments as a major setback. 

a) Why has MA and PL agreed to the movement of arbitration till 2022

b) if this was as negative as everyone suggests then why has MA and his media team not made a big fuss/issue about it

c) 6 months seems a long time to delay Arbitration…..perhaps MA has a good reason for delaying it for so long……I’m not privy to the reasoning but it seems a strange length of time.

d) If the takeover was really “dead” then perhaps we would have heard from AS/Reubens/PIF by now.

e) We would definitely heard from Bein Jacobs and Hairy Hands if this was the final nail in the coffin.

Like i say i have no reason to be Positive after these developments but i also think that there is more to come about the takeover. As many have pointed out, best we let this theatre play out and hope for some good news in the not so distant future.

To answer point a), I’m not so sure both parties had a say on arbitration being moved to 2022?

IMO the takeover is still on in so much as both the Seller and Buyer/s are still pushing for it, but I now believe it won’t happen and I think in the end MA will likely end up with some kind of out of court compensation for ‘loss of trade’ or something and it will be back to the old routine/drawing board…

11 minutes ago, HTT II said:

To answer point a), I’m not so sure both parties had a say on arbitration being moved to 2022?

IMO the takeover is still on in so much as both the Seller and Buyer/s are still pushing for it, but I now believe it won’t happen and I think in the end MA will likely end up with some kind of out of court compensation for ‘loss of trade’ or something and it will be back to the old routine/drawing board…

I think the PL would rather allow it to go through then pay a hefty compensation sum to Ashley. What sort of figure are we talking about that would satisfy Ashley ? He’s lost 340 million, he’s not settling for his legal fees being covered at this point.

11 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Can't blame anyone for feeling like this, another 6, probably more months of ITK, he said, she said, arguing semantics, opinions and translations of the little scraps we mere mortals are thrown. Sometimes it's easier to draw a line under it and move on.

I certainly won't be following every word, we've all put our mentality on hold for too long, it's not been fair on the supporters, from any angle. Having said that I think this is far from over, I'm not convinced the light at the end of the tunnel is not another 14 years of Ashley shaped train though. Fingers crossed but save your mental health and let it go.

24 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Agree totally it might not happen, but in your scenario of Ashley winning compensation, that would mean he has sufficient and telling evidence for him to be awarded this compensation. To me if he has (don't have a clue if he has or not), then I honestly think the takeover may happen. Ashley is certinly not the type to accept an out of court compensation, which immediately would see him lose £300 million. He will be pushing for the compensation and the takeover, as he is certainly the type of person who would be prepared to go all the way also imho. He's a cunt in every way and just doesn't give a fuck who he pushes or upsets. Everyone may as well just wait for the next official update (probably the CAT case), as it may be a little clearer then what is happening (may not also mind).

Edited by et tu brute

Guest HTT II

I think it will be a case of take it or leave it (compensation) from the PL to Ashley just to fuck off, or he can keep wasting more and more money on a never never… 

Guest HTT II

The takeover for me won’t be happening now, not with PIF anyway. I’m done with it all anyway. And to be honest, they are all as bad as each other really, I hate the whole money can buy a club and do what it wants thing full stop. I’m easy if it doesn’t go through in that sense, less moral mind fuckery to deal with. Be done the lot of them, either way. For or against. 

Edited by HTT II

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I think it will be a case of take it or leave it (compensation) from the PL to Ashley just to fuck off, or he can keep wasting more and more money on a never never… 

Paying him compo would be acceptance they’re in the wrong. Don’t think they’ll dare go down that route.

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

If he has evidence for them to offer compensation, then he will push them all the way and imho he will win exactly what he is waiting for.  He will be more than happy to take the Premier League down otherwise. As I said we just have to wait and see,

Guest HTT II
Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Paying him compo would be acceptance they’re in the wrong. Don’t think they’ll dare go down that route.

Legal technicalities and all that, admitting one thing but not the other, compromise, happens in so many legal cases, especially in business. 

The PL will offer settlement a) if disclosure is going to be damning or b) if it looks like we have any chance of winning CAT case. One look at the penalties involved for breaching anti competition tells you that.

Ashley wants the takeover and compensation.