Newcastle United Managers - The Premier League Years

Rafalove

So How does everyone rate the managers we’ve had during the premier league era? I’ve gone for:

1 Keegan(1st spell)

2 Sir Bobby

3 Hughton

4 Rafa

5 Keegan(2nd spell)

6 Dalglish

7 Roeder

8 Gullit

9 Kinnear

10 Allardyce

11 Souness

12 Pardew

13 Souness

14 Carver

15 McClaren

Haven’t put Shearer because you can’t really judge some from eight games. Also went for who I think was best for NUFC, not necessarily the best manager.

1 Keegan(1st spell) - no brainer

2 Sir Bobby - no brainer

3 Rafa - bought back hope and class

4 Hughton - best work was in the Championship but shows how bad the rest of them have been the fact he is number 4 out of 14

5 Keegan(2nd spell) - wasn't here for long enough

6 Roeder - 7th place finish plus decent bloke but that was a terribly weak team and he was not a good fit for what was still a glamorous club then

7 Dalglish - he destroyed Keegan's team and played negative football and signed crap. But 2nd first half season, FA Cup, Barca 3-2 and the quartet of Solano, Speed, Given and Hamann

8 Gullit - FA cup final and signed Dyer but again not great

9 Souness - destroyed SBR's team and fell out with everyone. Only this high because still went far in Europe and had a decent start.

10 Allardyce - Dire football but wasn't here long enough to rank lower than other stinkers

11 Pardew - how is he not bottom? Only that 5th season which was genuinely an enjoyable season.

12 McClaren - Wasted talent, just weak and not sure how he got a team with Wijanldum, Sissoko, Thauvin, Coloccini, Mitrovic etc relegated.

13 Kinnear - the least said the better

14 Carver - comfortably the worst - doesn't belong in management and was out of his depth from day one. Embarassing

Guest The Little Waster

1.Keegan ( 1 )

2. Bob

3. Keegan ( 2 )

4. Rafa

5. Hughton

The rest can take a fuckin hike

1 Keegan(1st spell)

2 Sir Bobby

3 Rafa

4 Hughton

5 Keegan(2nd spell)

6 Roeder

7 Pardew

8 Dalglish

9 Allardyce

10 Bruce

11 Gullitt

12 Souness

13 Kinnear

14 McClaren

15 Carver

I think Pardew, Dalglish, Allardyce, Gullit, Bruce and Souness are all in a group of their own and could swap round the order between themselves quite easily - all poor managers who were responsible for taking us down a level but not the absolute shitshows that were Kinnear, McClaren and Carver. Pardew just gets more stick generally because of his personality.

I can only really go with those times I can actually remember, so that unfortunately rules out KK's first spell and kind of begins at the backend of Dalgish's reign.

1. Robson - Some brilliant years, man. Competing up there with the very best in the league and in Europe

2. Rafa - Gave us hope and showed us not to be careful what we wished for but to wish for something better

3. Hughton - An all-round top bloke who did a commendable job under some ridiculous circumstances

4. Keegan round 2 - It was doomed from the start but there were glimpses of what could have been. Owen in the hole was a masterstroke :saylor:

5. Roeder - Did a superb job as caretaker but should never have been allowed to go beyond that. Alkmaar :anguish:

6. Gullit - Gave us another memorable cup run and had the decency to walk when things went south

7. Dalglish - Buggered things up but took us to Wembley and we had the Barca night

8. Allardyce - Would've most likely stabilised things but gave us some of the worst performances ever witnessed at SJP (Hi Derby, Pompey)

9. Souness - Started the ball rolling for our demise, the miserable prick

10. Pardew - Probably gave us the worst performances at SJP and was a horrible cunt to boot. But 5th!

11. McClaren - Has there been a more hapless manager/"head coach"?

12. Kinnear - Beyond the initial swear-filled rant there wasn't much to laugh about

13. Fucking Carver :lol:

Guest The Little Waster

Speaking of lick spittle

Former Newcastle boss John Carver has reflected on the Magpies' battle with relegation five years ago, culminating in a dramatic final-day win over West Ham which ensured they would be playing Premier League football the following season.

Carver, who had taken over from Alan Pardew, had seen his side lose eight games, picking up injuries and suspensions as they slipped alarmingly down the table.

Jonas Gutierrez was the hero on an emotional day, and Carver told Lee Ryder how he always felt he would play a key role.

He said: "I knew Jonas was going to get a starring role. I told him he'd be involved on the Monday.

"I told him: 'After everything you've been through you could now be the hero of St James' Park'.

"It was all geared up for him. He just had to go out and give his best and that was more than enough."

What a cunt

1 Keegan (1st spell) - doesn't get enough credit from non-Newcastle fans for what he did here. Everyone always talks about "I'd love it" - never the fact he took us from the brink of League 1 to 2nd in the Prem.

2 Sir Bobby - happy times.

3 Rafa - gave us a club to be really proud of after years of depression. Finishing 10th with a side that was definitely not top half in terms of quality was an underrated achievement.

4 Hughton - Just below Rafa. Like him, he was a great ambassador for this club and did a good job at a time we could easily have fallen apart. Oversaw a high number of iconic wins in his scandalously short spell in the Prem.

5 Keegan (2nd spell) - top half finish in 08/09 if he stayed.

6 Roeder - his spell as caretaker was genuinely fantastic but his awful CV should have prevented him being made permanent. Didn't think his full season in the Prem was too disastrous given our injury problems and lack of squad depth, but the UEFA and FA cup exits were unforgivable.

7 Dalglish - was in charge for some memorable games and made some good signings, but taking the 2nd best team in the country, tearing it apart and then finishing bottom half? Rubbish.

8 Gullit - Crap, but FA Cup final.

9 Pardew - the 5th place season was a great time to support the club and he deserves credit for that. The 2 and a half years that followed were so depressing that I find it amazing it only lasted 2 and a half years - felt like 20.

10 Allardyce - rubbish, but not here long enough to cause lasting damage.

11 Kinnear - embarrassing.

12 Souness - Inherited a good side that needed a bit of work, instead he set us back 10 years. Was meant to sort out the dressing room but messed that up too. Some good cup runs in 2005, but they fell apart so horribly I think I'd rather we hadn't bothered getting that far.

13 McClaren - pathetic. Whatever he once had (did well at boro), it had definitely gone and his smiling face in the post defeat interviews made me mad. Side wasn't great, but easily good enough to stay up that year.

14 Carver - was obviously never suitable to manage in the Prem, it's outrageous he was not replaced until the end of the year. Dread to think how many points we'd have got if we was in charge for the full season.

Guest reefatoon

He was never good enough or shouldn’t have been put in the situation, but will always have a soft spot for Roeder. A great bloke and a fantastic captain in his time here. He did a good job steadying the ship when he came in as temp boss. Shouldn’t have been offered it full time, but can’t blame him for taking it.

Roeder inherited a far shitter squad than McClaren, Souness, Pardew, Bruce etc. all did and I think with hindsight keeping us well clear of relegation was by no means a done deal that year... will never forgive him for Alkmaar away though. That was an absolute masterclass in game management on a "don't do as I do" basis.

Why isn't Bruce in these lists?

Christ it's a bag of shite after the obvious top four in their obvious order. :anguish:

Kinnear, Bruce and Pardew are my bottom three away from everyone else, for everything they represent as well as their abominable abilities. McClaren was obviously hopeless too but I don't hold him with the same disdain; for some reason I see him as being less complicit in everything that's been happening here - he was just rubbish is all. Nowhere near the talent to sort out a club that became totally broken by the influence of Pardew then Carver.

1. Keegan (1st spell)

2. Sir. Bobby

3. Keegan (2nd spell)

4. Rafa

5. Hughton

6. Roeder

7. Dalglish

8. Gullit

9. Pardew

10. Souness

11. Bruce

12. McClaren

13. Allardyce

14. Kinnear

15. Carver

1. Sir Bobby Robson

2. Kevin Keeagan (1st time)

3. Chris Hughton

4. Rafa Benitez

5. Kevin Keegan (2nd time)

6. Alain Pardieu

7. Sam Allardyce

8. Rudd Gullit

9. Glen Roeder

10. Graham Souness

11. Steve Bruce

12. McClaren

13. Kinnear

14. Carver

15. Dalglish

My top 3

1. Keegan 1st spell

2. Rafa - this might be different to others who would have SBR in 2nd. But Rafa took a job nobody wanted, and revitalised the cloob and the city. Gave new hope to fans and everyone under a monster of an owner under difficult circumstances. That alone was for me as good as getting results on the pitch like Keegan and SBR. I'm soooo hoping he comes back soon.

3. SBR

A shout out to Chris Hughton for the job he did in the Championship and return to the Premier League too.

Watch the highlights of our 90’s games on YouTube. We were absolutely shocking at the back.

We’re rating managers here but you have to take that into consideration. As crazy as it sounds, I think Rafas team with Rondon up front beats any of Keegans teams

As would Robsons circa 2002/2003.

Rafa v Robson?

I think Robson had technically gifted players who could transcend generations but ultimately Rafa would pick the team apart with his inferior players so how is he not the best manager we’ve ever had?

1 Keegan(1st spell)

2 Sir Bobby

3 Rafa

4 Keegan(2nd spell)

5 Hughton

6 Roeder

7 Dalglish

8 Pardew

9 Bruce

10 Allardyce

11 Gullitt

12 Souness

13 McClaren

14 Kinnear

15 Carver

Thinking back, I can't believe Glenn Roeder got so high in my list. That said, I guess there was also a couple of others that could have been included, Big Al had a few games, Nigel Pearson as well (albeit as a caretaker). Strangely, I then got thinking about the time I was on holiday during the 97/98 pre-season and remembered reading a back page headline of "Oldcastle" because we'd just signed Ian Rush and John Barnes... not sure what triggered that memory.

Guest neesy111

No offence to Chris Hughton, but the fact he’s in the top 5 managers of a massive premier league club just shows how horribly this club has been run.

:thup:

1 Keegan(1st spell)

2 Sir Bobby

3 Rafa

4 Keegan(2nd spell)

5 Hughton

6 Roeder

7 Dalglish

8 Pardew

9 Bruce

10 Allardyce

11 Gullitt

12 Souness

13 McClaren

14 Kinnear

15 Carver

Thinking back, I can't believe Glenn Roeder got so high in my list. That said, I guess there was also a couple of others that could have been included, Big Al had a few games, Nigel Pearson as well (albeit as a caretaker). Strangely, I then got thinking about the time I was on holiday during the 97/98 pre-season and remembered reading a back page headline of "Oldcastle" because we'd just signed Ian Rush and John Barnes... not sure what triggered that memory.

great list that. I agree with it

1. Keegan

2. Robson

3. Rafa

4. Hughton - Did wonders in the Championship to keep everyone together and had a good start in the PL with the win against Villa all the way through to the mackems before the most unjust sacking out of anyone in this list by some distance.

5. Roeder - Did well enough in Europe with us, comfortably qualifying from a semi-difficult group and finished with a 45% win ratio overall. Not bad.

6. Dalglish - Qualified for the CL, signed Speed and Given, got us to an FA Cup final

7. Bruce - Whether luck or not, we would not have been relegated this season had it continued as normal.

8. Pardew - Utter cunt of a human being who lucked his way to a 5th place finish by stumbling on several purples, being completely unable to handle expectations and lived so far up Ashleys arse he made some of the fans belive the club wasn't as big as it was.

9. Gullit - Tit. Shearer on the bench v the mackems, not giving Rob Lee a squad number. WTF. Made it all about him and his fucking deck chair. Sold Steve Watson and David Batty who we could have done with keeping. FA Cup final though...

10. Souness - Came in to open a can of whoop ass on a bunch of hyped up kids taking the piss out of an old man. Tactically awful and made some suspect signings. Worse than Pardew by the end.

11. Allardyce - Spectacularly failed to live up to expectations and was sending us down, no matter what he says. Derby County's worst ever top flight squad says hi.

12. McClaren - Did this really happen?

13. Kinnear - Really?

14. Carver - Lickety split.

Guest godzilla

Watch the highlights of our 90’s games on YouTube. We were absolutely shocking at the back.

We’re rating managers here but you have to take that into consideration. As crazy as it sounds, I think Rafas team with Rondon up front beats any of Keegans teams

As would Robsons circa 2002/2003.

Rafa v Robson?

I think Robson had technically gifted players who could transcend generations but ultimately Rafa would pick the team apart with his inferior players so how is he not the best manager we’ve ever had?

Ferdinand for a start (not even mentioning Shearer or Cole) was a far better player than Rondon