Last game you deleted without completing + ranting

OpenC

A negative companion for the Completed And Rating thread.

Final Fantasy XV for me.

I knew I was going to hate it but I got it for about £15 and felt like it was probably worth a go for that.

It was not worth a go. I don't think I actually enjoyed playing a second of it. It obviously has that Final Fantasy feel to it, and it looks and sounds great, but if there was ever a way to prove that Final Fantasy XIII's corridor wasn't necessarily a bad thing, it was to make the next one like this, the openest of open world.

The combat is the biggest issue for me; just a bit of a joke, really. This is where XIII really scored - like I posted in the Persona thread the other day,  RPGs for me are really just meaningless wrappers for their combat engines and although there was plenty wrong with XIII's (mostly to do with levelling up gear which appeared fairly arbitrary at best), it was at least tactical and could be fairly tense. This.. well, christ. It wants to be Dragon's Dogma but it's not even at the level of the Tales of.. games in automatic mode. Stupid and unforgivable, and way more ruinous to the game experience than the previous one's corridor ever was.

The all male group could have been a brave (to be fair, it was brave) and interesting choice but the characters are utterly by the numbers and uninteresting. The road movie feel could have been compelling as well, but it doesn't suit an open world where you can just wander off and do whatever you fancy.  I uninstalled it when after a moment of great gloom for the group I inadvertently went off on a side quest that got Generic Jokey Guy all excited about chocobos in an manner entirely inappropriate to what had just been going on. Stupid. Put them back in the corridor and script it properly and tightly if you want to make a journey of discovery road movie.

In summary: awful, a complete fuck up imo.  Will never reinstall it. Wish I could delete it from my download list so I don't have to remember the fifteen quid I wasted on it when I scroll through the catalogue.

Good idea for a thread. :thup:

Basically all of the games I want to like and try to like, but that always end up feeling like work rather than fun:

Civilisation V

City Skylines

Her Story

I'm sure they're all amazing, I just don't have as much patience with games as I used to.

I couldn't tell you the last time I started a game and didn't finish it, many years. Even if I'm not particularly enjoying something I'll slog through for some reason. I should probably have knocked Pillars of Eternity on the head, mainly because of the crippling load times.

I tried Cities Skylines. Was having fun until it popped the old power grid overlay, after about three minutes of roads and zoning. The very first Sim City got the thorny issue of power just right (build a power station; when you run out of power, build another one). Why this would have a great idea like zoning and just letting the game handle individual buildings, but then ruin it by asking you to micromanage electricity supply, is beyond me [emoji38]

Stardew Valley - I know there's no "end" to it as but there's nothing fun about this to me. I get that its other people's thing and they can stay off my lawn.

Factorio - Euuugh. Again maybe not a game with a real "completion" but absolutely impossibly unplayable to me.

Path of Exile - I love the Diablo series and lots of ex-players there said give PoE a try. I actively hated it. The most fun thing you can do with PoE is play the tutorial beach. The second most fun thing to do with PoE is unisntall it.

Darkest Dungeon - actually liked but the fact you can get knocked back so far progression wise basically due to RNG made me just not care about slogging through to finish. I hear later patches might have improved it but literally don't care at this point.

I don't even know where to start :lol: most recent would be Horizon. It has ups and downs, but when I disabled the HUD I had a great time with it. And then stopped playing and will probably never play again. Solid 8/10 for me which is way above average for an open world game.

Before that, similar story and rating with Prey. I'm playing Mankind Divided at the minute and expect that to go the same way too, even though I'm currently into it. Persona 5 is in purgatory at the minute, not sure if I'll go back to it - it's the best game on this list but devoting an hour between saves is making it difficult for me, I'm finding myself working more than usual during lockdown as other people have been furloughed, so time is at a bit of a premium and it's easier just to fire up Rocket League for a few games. Maybe Persona has come to me at a bad time in that sense.

Good thread 👍

I actually didn’t mind ffxv but I get your complaints. It could have been much better than what it was.

What I find pretty hilarious is that you dislike it that much yet never reached the part of the game that is horrendous. There’s a section later on where you’re essentially running down tight corridors fighting tough enemies, in a confined space that doesn’t fit with the combat system they tried to impose. It drags on for about 2-3 hours if I remember correctly as well.

It also wound me up that they did most of the character development in DLC focusing on each party member.

My shame list is strong

Pretty much all of my collection 500+ epic/steam ect...., except dying light/gta 5/dishonoured and a couple of others

Its like netflix you start something then something else comes along and get distracted and moving on

There's plenty but some of the recent ones include:

Hell Let Loose (PC) - Technically not a game that can be completed as it's an online team based WW2 shooter in the Battlefield style but with a more realistic edge. I'll admit it's still fairly early in development and it's a game I want to love because it looks fabulous and the concept is very good. However right now the game has a number of issues that make it unplayable. The first being that the Unreal 4 engine seems to not render things like grass at distance on lower graphics settings which becomes a huge problem when the game is based around being able to use exactly that for cover. The mechanics also are currently broken with there being an exploit that makes it easy to win a round by capturing an objective which starts a 2 minute recapture lockout and allows for the whole attacking team to simply suicide and respawn at the next one before the defending team can get back to defend it. I have little doubt this will be a game to return to in 6 months or so as it has a huge deal of promise but right now it's infuriating that minor issues cripple it so heavily.

Starlink: Battle for Atlas (Switch) - I picked this up to see what the Starfox content would offer given that there's little chance of seeing an actual Starfox game any time soon. In fairness to the developer they've to try to mask the idea that the Starfox material has just been tacked on to their own game. But their own game unfortunately just falls into the category of being incredibly dull. While there's early intrigue in enjoying the open world with the ability to transition from space to planets etc it quickly becomes evident that the whole thing is setup to be a grind. Repetitive tasks to level up to allow progression. Again there's a lot of potential in the concept but the execution here is tiresome. Think I got about 6 hours from this before wishing I was back playing X-Wing Alliance or the original Rogue Squadron.

Planet Zoo (PC) - I'm not going to criticise this one too heavily. It's actually a very well constructed game from Frontier Developments. It's an entirely different level to their Jurassic Park effort and the freedom to be creative shines through. I've logged about eight hours in total but that comes mostly from the fact that games like this need a solid time investment to get the most from them. I've seen some terrific designs in videos but I know I just don't have the time on my hands to sculp out that level of detail/ It's incredible what you can build with the toolset available and I'm sure there's a fantastic game in there I just wish I had more time to spend on finding it.

I love Bioshock and finally got round to playing Burial at Sea recently. I only played the first episode. Absolute infuriating garbage.

Funnily enough I’m playing it for the first time now too, really enjoyed it  :laugh:

What were your problems with it?

It felt like it was over just as I was getting into it, and up to that point it was effectively just a few fights in an empty department store, about 2 hours of gameplay. Maybe episode 2 rounds off the story in a more satisfying way, I don't know how linked to episode 1 it is, but it pissed me off and I didn't feel like going back to it.

I love Bioshock and finally got round to playing Burial at Sea recently. I only played the first episode. Absolute infuriating garbage.

Funnily enough I’m playing it for the first time now too, really enjoyed it  :laugh:

What were your problems with it?

It felt like it was over just as I was getting into it, and up to that point it was effectively just a few fights in an empty department store, about 2 hours of gameplay. Maybe episode 2 rounds off the story in a more satisfying way, I don't know how linked to episode 1 it is, but it pissed me off and I didn't feel like going back to it.

Fair enough, I think it totally nailed the atmosphere so I didn’t mind the lack of action

Episode 2 picks up straight after

I couldn't tell you the last time I started a game and didn't finish it, many years. Even if I'm not particularly enjoying something I'll slog through for some reason. I should probably have knocked Pillars of Eternity on the head, mainly because of the crippling load times.

I'm the complete opposite of this. I'll inexplicably stop playing something I've really enjoyed, over and over again.

I think it's to do with playing multiplayer loads as a kid, with friends and online. I'm addicted to that quick and easy dopamine hit of killing someone or scoring a goal. I'm also quite competitive which draws me back to multiplayer.

DOOM Eternal. I've not deleted it but can't see myself going back to it. Think I'm about 70% through it. For whatever reason this one never really clicked for me. And I really enjoyed 2016 too.

Don’t think it was the last game I’ve binned off but to add to the list: Ni No Kuni 2 (you can add one in for the same reason)

I love RPGs, particularly jrpgs when I was younger. The Ni No Kuni games tick a lot of the boxes I’d usually go for in a game. I even bought a ps3 to play the first one as almost everyone was raving about it. Yet I could not stay with this. The issue was with the story. It felt like watching a kids tv show and I couldn’t get past it.