Last game you deleted without completing + ranting

OpenC

Demon’s Souls. Played Dark Souls/Bloodborne before, but struggling with this. Could be imagining this, but the later games were far more forgiving with the bonfire (or whatever) placement by bosses weren’t they?

I thought DS3 was ridiculous with its bonfires. They were like every second room. Bloodborne was a bit lighter with them but usually had a shortcut to unlock. 

Waiting for Demon's Souls to go on sale before I pick it up. 

Just realised this should have been in the ‘currently playing thread’. Oh well.

Aye, I’ve only really played DS Remastered & Bloodborne, but there’d always be a shortcut to open up. Second boss here seems to have you running a gauntlet over & over just to get back to the boss room.

• 2 months later...

Xenonauts

I tend to like the X-Com genre, but there is something underwhelming and unappealing with this game.

Mainly it lacks any personality for me; The UI, the menus, the screens, everything feels very sterile and stripped down. It feels more like I'm navigating through someone's Powerpoint presentation of the concept they have for the base, rather than an actual base designed for fending off off-world invasions.

The soldiers also lack any personality with how they are represented.

Even though he will be black during the inventory screen at the base, Mugabe from Zimbabwe must have taken on some white man suit during missions since he is just as white as Bengt from Sweden during missions.

During the missions every soldier is just a clone of each other, but even during the inventory screen there isn't a whole lot that separates them from each other.

Unless you are fine with your party being wiped out in almost every mission (your soldiers die from one hit and the aliens has twice the visual and firing range) there will be a lot of reloading until you reach an acceptable outcome for every mission.

I lasted 5 hours with it, won't pick up again.

• 1 month later...

Got Nioh from Epic store for free. Looks like a Dark Souls style lose all your progress shite. Beat some axe wielding boss on top of the tower only to be one hitted by his pimped up corpse and sent back down to the last save point.

Combat is too clumsy to be arsed with this shite.

Delete

It's alright but I absolutely hated the level structure. The beauty of Souls was that it was one interconnected world. Nioh went for a model where you select a small level from a map, complete it, then play it again with the enemies slightly moved around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If it didn't click it didn't click, I suppose, but I've never played a better open world questy game in my life.  I thought it was fucking brilliant, let down only by the human combat which took the edge off the whole experience (much like Death Stranding, in fact).

1 hour ago, OpenC said:

If it didn't click it didn't click, I suppose, but I've never played a better open world questy game in my life.  I thought it was fucking brilliant, let down only by the human combat which took the edge off the whole experience (much like Death Stranding, in fact).

Agreed. Mind really casting back my memory there but feel the human part let it down. Robo dinos were mint and all had great combat techniques to down them. I've heard that they couldn't get them to live together due to the limits of tech in the ps4. Wouls really like to see them interacting as a live world in the sequel on ps5.

1 hour ago, OpenC said:

Aye, it wasn't great. Just a crappy version of Dark Souls and the harden mechanic was endlessly exploitable.

Bloody dark souls has a lot to answer for. Played a few titles In the last 2 nights after getting game pass back. this, before we leave, undungeon and the forgotten city. None of them hitting the spot, this being the worst of the lot though. 

Nowt works for me atm. New world faded fast. Humankind was a couple of blast through, death stranding was weird and boring and b2042 just too much for me. I’ve found the 3rd tomb raider hard to finish unlike the other 2 oh and valhiem which was killed off mid game by the purchase of new world. 

bouGht disco Elysian last night. Gonna fire that up now. Bollocks, didnt installed fully last night.

Last good game i played was the Ascent. But the difficulty ramped up at the end and i never finished off the final boss. 

Edited by Dokko

I reckon we all go through phases where we're done with gaming forever, and sooner or later one of them will be the real thing :) Personally I get more enjoyment from a Raspberry Pi running Retropie than anything else.  Elden Ring is probably not going to be for you, I guess, but is the only thing that saved my PS4 from eBay.  Absolutely no interest whatsoever in picking up a PS5.

I'm playing Assassins Creed Origins right now, after playing Odyssey earlier in the year. It's rough as fuck and the worst AC game I've played (all the console games apart from Unity and Valhalla). It's somewhat forgivable because they obviously tried to make big changes to the usual formula, and it led to Odyssey which was great, but it is a bit shit. The combat is the biggest issue, it's awful, and for the first time I often can't be bothered with stealth, it just feels pointless.

Couple of entries to add. 

Returnal

Gameplay in this is solid. I'm just not sure it really works as a roguelike and I'm a bit down on the genre as a whole at the moment. Think it would work better as a longer more carefully crafted experience. Either that or expand the roguelike mechanics. As it is a playthrough is just too long. That said I did enjoy the time I spent on it. 

Dungeon Encounters

Another entry where I did enjoy my time with this game. Spent about 10-15 hours on it. Ultimately I think it was a little bit distilled and simple for its own good. Struggled to hold my interest when I have other things to be playing. 

Both are solid 7/10s.