Gaming - Good Decisions & Regrets

LFEE

Good Decisions...

1. Atari 2600 even if it was shared with my brother! (Space Invaders, Moon Patrol etc)

2. Getting an Amiga instead of just sticking it out with Atari ST (Custom Chips)

3. Getting an NTSC N64 (for full screen and faster operating speed)

4. Getting into the “Demo” scene (that’s still as strong as ever)

5. Working in the industry as a hobby when it was all done from the bedroom.

Regrets...

1. Having a Spectrum+2 bought for me instead of a C64 (SID Sounchip and hardware scrolling)

2. Not finishing Zelda: Ocarina Of Time on N64 (Best game I’ve played)

3. Giving up on Bloodborne on PS4 (Probably best game I’ve played this generation)

4. Not releasing my better 16-Bit commercial music (Held better stuff back)

5. No gaming until recently for last 3+ years (Blame Bloodborne :lol:)

I'd love to have been in the demoscene way back when. I discovered it near what I think was the end of the 1st wave (just how I classify it, unsure of official eras) with 2nd Reality coming out from Future Crew, but never really got heavily invested.

Seems, or seemed, if my memory of 25 years ago can be trusted, to have been way bigger in Europe, particularly Scandinavian countries. Never knew much about any american scene.

What’s the ‘demo scene’??

:aww:

3.5" floppies that you bought for £1 each with people showcasing what they could do technically with the hardware.  Loved them, but can't remember any of the ones I had on the Amiga.

There are still a couple of the tracks from the bootloader screens that Paranoimia and Fairlight in particular used (not that I played pirated games, of course :shifty:) which I remember like I just heard them yesterday ("left button for normal, right button for trainer").  I remember Fairlight in particular had one which used an absolutely majestic synth swell a lot like the THX Deep Note way before its time.  Absolutely awesome noise :)

Getting off the point of the thread, though, which I'm still thinking about :)

One of my regrets is not being vigilant about keeping my PS3 online. I was never bothered about trophies at all until I got my first platinum (Doom 2016 on PS4) but now I find them a satisfying record of what I've played and how far I got. The PS3 though didn't record trophies properly if you weren't logged into PSN so there's loads of games I finished that show up with only a couple of trophies. I've just went to see how many I got in finishing No No Kuni and there's no record of it being played at all.

In no particular order:

Good decisions

1. Witcher 3 - not even played the first two.  Yet this is arguably my favourite game of all time. 

2. Bioshock - finished all 3 games and I think it might be the last FPS game/series I properly got involved with.

3. Gears of War - finished all of the series and really enjoyed pretty much all of it.  Dipped in and out of multiplayer and horde was always good fun.

4. Age of Empires 2 - played this A LOT back in the day.  Lost weeks of my life to this, but I regret nothing :lol:

5. Swapping my Playstation for a mate's N64 for the 6 week holiday - meant I properly played Zelda non-stop until completion and also the Goldeneye

campaign.  Only ever really played it on split screen prior to that.

Bad decisions

1. Putting games down for a week or so and then just never going back to them.  Done this with games I have really enjoyed, as well.  GTA 5, one of

the Fallouts, I forget which.  Most recently, RDR2.

2. FIFA - used to get it every year.  But it was the most rage inducing game ever :lol:  I was slightly above average at it, so could actually win a fair few

games against mates. So many things annoyed me with it and I binned it off back in 2012-13, I think

3. Not really playing my Xbox anymore.  Don't seem to find as much time to play and so the issue of putting games down and not finishing them is

always going to be an issue. 

4. Finally, linked to 1 and 3.  I don't tend to get too involved with multiplayer.  Mainly as I do prefer long games with a good solo campaign and story. 

But also I feel like it takes me a while to get my eye in, so there just seems no point playing for an hour or so here and there.

Best decision I've made without doubt was building a decent gaming PC. In the long run it's saved me a fortune on games with some of the ridiculous sales and freebies. Got it hooked up to the TV downstairs via a long HDMI cable so it doubles up as a great 4K media centre/couch gaming set-up too.

Other good decisions... Gamepass for Windows to mop up some of the xbox exclusives has been a great deal. Nintendo Switch has been a solid purchase all round to compliment the PC, I've got a PS4 too for the exclusives but of the two I've definitely got the most use out of the switch.

Not sure I have that many gaming regrets, not replacing my PS3 when it broke would be the main one as I never got to finish Demons Souls (always assumed it would re-release on the next gen but it never did).

Another good thread with some good posts 👍👍

Good decisions:

At the end of the last console generation after years of having a 360 going with the ps4. It got me into trophy hunting for games I like and it meant I managed to squeeze out far more time on some of my favourite titles rather than finishing and moving on. Xbox achievement points didn’t really have the same grab as going for platinums (I only have 10 I’m not a mad hunter) but it made a difference to my gaming.

Regrets:

World of Warcraft. I played wow for maybe 10 years on and off, maybe longer. Some of those years were all consuming with the game and definitely on the hardcore level. In my early twenties I played every day, almost  every night for all night and into the early hours of the next day to repeat it again. We sat on a vent server every night in a group (that South Park episode is a good mental image of it) I’ve spoke to a few people about it since and we played even when we didn’t want to because it became something that we all just did. We ran a small raiding guild (mostly unsuccessful) for years and I can remember spending an hour an uni on the mornings replying to forum stuff and organising raids. Most importantly, why? What a massive waste of time that was and can’t help think what that time could have been used for rather than that endless grind. I can remember my girlfriend used to come over on a Friday and on an evening I’d piss off into my backroom and play all night... not entirely sure why she put up with me and then married me.

In terms of good decisions and regrets re. games - I find it hard to have regrets exactly, you do your best with the info you had at the time. But let's try.

Good Decisions:

Getting my parents to pick up that Commodore Amiga 500 from the local car boot sale. I doubt I'd have had the career I've had without that! First music I heard from that was Chris Huelsbeck's R-Type theme... yep, that was me sold.

I think, in retrospect, leaving CIG; working on Star Citizen was driving me mental. Some great people there though, and they absolutely want it to work, but personally felt torn between the culture I wanted for the team I was heading up and the way everything else was going. If you can't go with the flow, too easy to feel like you're drowning. Depression hit me hard there.

Fallout 3, I picked that back up after initially being flummoxed (where do I go?).  Left it for ages, then figured I'd head towards Megaton after all.  Then proceed to sink 200 hours + into it, still love that whole world.

Super Nintendo.  Though I'd been exposed to Japanese games long prior as we had an MSX - but I could never afford many games for that, or even find the things - just that level of polish opened up things for me.

Struggling with Elite on the Acorn Electron. Again it was the world building more than anything that stuck with me.  I was rubbish at the game!

Regrets:

Going to Acclaim Teesside.  Ended up made redundant after about three and a half months and spent the rest of the time seeing out the six month lease on a flat in Thornaby, playing Champ Manager.  Ah well...

Not properly committing to freelancing sooner, maybe. Variety is really important to me now.

Partly regret not getting a C64 instead of the Spectrum, but I still loved the Speccy.  Again for the audio capabiltiies, C64 trounced it.

Cookie Clicker. I should never have touched that. :)

Getting RSI from Civilisation 4

Good Decisions:

Going to CGZ in Newcastle when I was 14 or so. Met some great people (Hello Adam^) and spent a shit load of my inbetweener teen years either playing cricket, going to CGZ or being online playing WOW, Counterstrike 1.5, 1.6, Source, C&C Generals etc

Getting a 45 minute bus into Derby and buying my first graphics card around 20 years ago. It was at that stage I was hooked on building an entire machine after realising how easy it was to plug the card in, install some drivers and off you go.

What Andy said with regards to building a machine and saving in the long run. The game passes / freebies available over the years coupled with mods and addons not available to console gamers makes the whole pc buidling experience incredibly satisfying.

Buying a Logitech G29 racing wheel. Always enjoyed racing games, I think one of my first PS1 games was V-Rally when I was about 10 and I absolutely loved it. Going even further back I really enjoyed Lotus Turbo Challenge on the Mega Drive. But getting a wheel is like taking the next step and it's incredibly satisfying when you stick a good lap in on any track.

Sorting out a dual monitor setup with a dual arm. Couldn't deal with a single monitor setup now.

144hz. Once you see it, you can't go back.

Bad Decisions:

Purchasing Red Dead 2 multiple times. Bought it on my old PS4, never completed it, barely left that ridge camp at the start. Bought it and installed it on the PC and done exactly the same. Not a fan of scripted events and this feels like one large sandbox full of them.

Playing any MMORPG. I wasted so much of my life playing World of Warcraft, for absolutely nothing. Similarly with Star Wars: The Old Republic when that came out, although I thought it was better than WoW at the time and overall think I enjoyed that more.

Brand loyalty. I stuck with AMD through the shit times when everyone else had a Nvidia and felt it. I do the same peripheral-wise. I also had a full Logitech setup until recently when I purchased a Steelseries headset and it's soooo much better. Going to mix and match from now on. I did the same with graphics card manufacturers, I would religiously go Sapphire without even looking at anything else. Stoopid.

Brand loyalty. I stuck with AMD through the shit times when everyone else had a Nvidia and felt it. I do the same peripheral-wise. I also had a full Logitech setup until recently when I purchased a Steelseries headset and it's soooo much better. Going to mix and match from now on. I did the same with graphics card manufacturers, I would religiously go Sapphire without even looking at anything else. Stoopid.

Wrestling with this at the minute.  Just built a new rig and my internals are dominated by Corsair as I can use the iCue software to manage it.  Outside is Razer dominated but I'm so tempted to switch that to Corsair too and donate all of this stuff to a build I'm going to do for the lad.

I'm currently perfectly happy as long as I have a stable 60 as I use a 4KTV as a monitor but how noticeable is it once you start hitting 80-90 and is it jarring having an unlocked framerate and it bouncing around, say, 70-95 and beyond?

Can totally relate to Vlad's post and also think it's awesome that elbee909 worked on Star Citizen. I saw a YT documentary on it a couple of years ago and was really excited for it. Seems to have faded into obscurity though.

Anyway, enough derailing of the thread by me!

Good decisions:

-Getting a PlayStation with Resident Evil and FF7 after I'd spent a weekend away visiting mates and they had one. Really brought me into the console world proper

-Even though I think they're awful shits now and I won't touch anything they bring out in future, really pleased I found and enjoyed Fallout 3, (NV too, although not by bethesda) and the Elder Scrolls games

-Not getting FO76 or any associated bullshit

-Championship/Football Manager. Preferred to actually playing as a player (such as PES or FIFA type games) and can lose myself for months playing it

-Cities Skylines. Not perfect, but I never stop learning and can be so creative with a town

-Watching regular Youtubers (not even realising that was a thing) showing me what gaming companies are really like (Jim Sterling, Yong Yea etc). I kinda like knowing stuff behind the scenes even though it can ruin the magic of escapism

-Not watching streamers. I find this pointless, so glad I didn't devote any time to following folks. Don't get me wrong, some people like it and if I'm really stuck on a game, finding a YT video on how to do something is useful. Watching people playing a game I'd rather be playing seems daft to me though. More power to you, if this is your thing

-Recommending games/Trying games you've had recommended. The feeling of someone really enjoying a game you've recommended, or conversely really enjoying a game that's been recommended to you is very uplifting

-Using mods

Bad decisions:

-Not learning how to construct mods. Still time though

-Watching regular Youtubers (not even realising that was a thing) showing me what gaming companies are really like (Jim Sterling, Yong Yea etc). I kinda like knowing stuff behind the scenes even though it can ruin the magic of escapism. Yeah, I regret it as well as enjoy finding out how things tick, even if then it lessens the magic for me. Happens in a lot of life :(

-Online gaming. Tried GTA V online after loving the story but it's just a load of tossers running around killing you. Tried heists and no one had a headset or wanted to work strategically to complete the mission. Disheartened me no end

-Bought Treasure Island Dizzy for the Spectrum when I knew that only odd numbered Dizzy games worked on my machine (I have absolutely no idea why this was. Spectrums were weird)

-Not getting certain games when they were popular and falling behind in the hype. With only a couple of exceptions, I can't bring myself to play old, dated games. So it means that I won't enjoy playing a previous title in a series. RDR2 is prime example. I don't think I could cope with trying to play the first one

-Buying horse armour

Wrestling with this at the minute.  Just built a new rig and my internals are dominated by Corsair as I can use the iCue software to manage it.  Outside is Razer dominated but I'm so tempted to switch that to Corsair too and donate all of this stuff to a build I'm going to do for the lad.

I'm currently perfectly happy as long as I have a stable 60 as I use a 4KTV as a monitor but how noticeable is it once you start hitting 80-90 and is it jarring having an unlocked framerate and it bouncing around, say, 70-95 and beyond?

Nah it's only ever going to be jarring to have your framerate bouncing below 60 imo. You should always try and keep it stable though, I've got 144hz with Gsync which helps somewhat. I hate even using a 60hz monitor for work, I'm so used to seeing such smooth mouse movement :lol:

Not watching streamers. I find this pointless, so glad I didn't devote any time to following folks. Don't get me wrong, some people like it and if I'm really stuck on a game, finding a YT video on how to do something is useful. Watching people playing a game I'd rather be playing seems daft to me though. More power to you, if this is your thing

I used to agree with this, but I have to admit I quite enjoy watching the odd stream as background noise when I'm working or just pottering around the house. I only really watch Northernlion regularly like, his style is very conversational so often it's more like a 6 hour podcast with a game happening in the background than anything.

There’s just such a wide array of streamers, seems silly to write em all off. I watch RL tournaments, the odd RL pro, Limmy “playing” truck simulator, Paige from WWE with her tits out playing animal crossing. How can you confidently write off all these things in one swoop!?

Bought Treasure Island Dizzy for the Spectrum when I knew that only odd numbered Dizzy games worked on my machine (I have absolutely no idea why this was. Spectrums were weird)

What!? :lol:

Not watching streamers. I find this pointless, so glad I didn't devote any time to following folks. Don't get me wrong, some people like it and if I'm really stuck on a game, finding a YT video on how to do something is useful. Watching people playing a game I'd rather be playing seems daft to me though. More power to you, if this is your thing

I used to agree with this, but I have to admit I quite enjoy watching the odd stream as background noise when I'm working or just pottering around the house. I only really watch Northernlion regularly like, his style is very conversational so often it's more like a 6 hour podcast with a game happening in the background than anything.

Same. Or rather I used to do it often but haven’t for a while.

Well, I didn't write them all off. I watched one guy take down a bunch of cheaters holed up in a tower (mods getting in on the action at the end) in some shooter game with guns and stuff (no idea which, COD, Fortnite, Battlefront are all the same to me) but that was edited and put in the form of a story so there was something to get invested in.

When I've seen footage of streamers, it either just seems dull or it's lasses getting thirsty blokes to give them money for dressing in skimpy outfits and has very little to do with games at all. I saw something with one famous lass, Amarah or something? Awful.

I don't think it's quite the same, but I did listen/watch a playthrough of Broken Sword whilst I was working for some background noise. But hey, I don't mean anything by it, I just don't enjoy it and if people do then fair play to you. Just not my cup of tea.

As for the Dizzy thing, yeah it was odd. I could load the original, Fantasy World and whatever 5 was, but Treasure island and whatever 4 was would not work on mine. My friends spectrum would have it the other way around where he could play the even numbered titles. And we had a mate who could play all of them with no bother. Lucky twat ;D

You've not missed out with Treasure Island Dizzy. Game has a ridiculous inventory system which can kill you just for swapping items. And you have 1 HP for the entire game and no extra lives.

You've not missed out with Treasure Island Dizzy. Game has a ridiculous inventory system which can kill you just for swapping items. And you have 1 HP for the entire game and no extra lives.

I did play it at my mate's house and as I remember it was a case of you can carry two items at a time which I think most of those games had. It would drive me to frustration.

The streaming really depends on the games you play too. For me it's somewhat useful to watch certain streamers on Apex/Rocket League, because they're games you can play forever and try and hone ones craft. Although with the Apex ones it's quite apparent I won't be honing to anywhere near their level :lol: :(