Hollow Knight (PC, Switch, Xbox, PS4)

OpenC

Canny envious on those of you who are only going through hollow knight now like. The incline in quality as the game progresses is incredible. It improves constantly in every aspect - area design, enemy design, combat, mechanics, bosses, platforming... There's a few little niggles I have with it but they're all minor things that are inherent to all metroidvanias anyway.

Dark Souls and SOTN within five posts means I'm going into this with my face scrunched up and my expectations too god damn high.

They're not too high. It's better than SOTN, which before this was my favourite in the genre too.

Dark Souls and SOTN within five posts means I'm going into this with my face scrunched up and my expectations too god damn high.

They're not too high. It's better than SOTN, which before this was my favourite in the genre too.

I've heard a lot of people say that, like consensus i see is most people think Hollow Knight is the GOAT metroidvania.

Or at the very least in the discussion, makes me think i should i give it another chance as i didn't like it much and preferred Ori which i get the impression isn't at all popular.

I think Ori is plenty popular but although it's broadly the same genre the focus felt a bit different.  I didn't play that much of Ori but I got the impression it was more about the puzzles than the battles; it feels like a lighter and friendlier game.  Hollow Knight is all about the fighting really, and feels spiritually closer to its Castlevania roots in that regard (to me, anyway).

I really liked what I played of Ori, but it didn't grab me like this does.

[emoji38] Fencing cunt stole my souls. Rage quit for the night.

I like the way your ghost sits outside the boss rooms, though, so as long as you didn't walk for miles you stand a good chance of getting them back :)

I like the way your ghost sits outside the boss rooms, though, so as long as you didn't walk for miles you stand a good chance of getting them back :)

I'm still new to the world so everything looks the same right now. Not a fucking clue where I died.

I'm still new to the world so everything looks the same right now. Not a fucking clue where I died.

You not got the map/quill/compass yet? Probably the biggest essentials for a new player.

You not got the map/quill/compass yet? Probably the biggest essentials for a new player.

[emoji38] I either have 2k in souls and no idea where the exit is, or 0 souls and a fucking constant beeline topside.

The next boss is an even better battle, assuming you head in the direction that most players naturally head in first time through.

Jesus fucking Christ :smitten: can't imagine ever beating them, if they're who you meant, but amazing how you feel yourself getting better at it. So well judged :)

I think Ori is plenty popular but although it's broadly the same genre the focus felt a bit different.  I didn't play that much of Ori but I got the impression it was more about the puzzles than the battles; it feels like a lighter and friendlier game.  Hollow Knight is all about the fighting really, and feels spiritually closer to its Castlevania roots in that regard (to me, anyway).

I really liked what I played of Ori, but it didn't grab me like this does.

I meant the opinion that it's better than Hollow Knight to be clear.

I know the game itself is popular, they are very different takes on the genre though like you say.  But i also get the impression i didn't give Hollow Knight a proper go tbh.

Or have I done it? I got killed by the last as I was hitting it, there was an earthquake as I respawned and now they're not aggroing ???

If you kill them as they kill you, you still win. You'll be able to tell if you've won if the normal mantis minions no longer attack you.