Newcastle United 3 - 0 Sheffield United - 21/06/2020 - Post-match from page 24

BlueStar

Guest Carrick18

That will be part of it, but he hasn't abandoned the 3-5-2 and at the same time O'Connell wasn't always the advancing centre-back, it was rotated. Maybe he doesn't feel comfortable leaving Robinson exposed. He also has Restos who they signed on loan in January who is made for that kind of role. Watching them this season I find Wilder's squad building odd, he just seems to hoard players a bit.

I honestly think they could easily suffer from 2nd season syndrome.

Whenever I have seen them play they haven’t looked that good. Momentum has been a large part of the reason why they have done so well, and now that appears to be falling away from them.

I honestly think they could easily suffer from 2nd season syndrome.

Whenever I have seen them play they haven’t looked that good. Momentum has been a large part of the reason why they have done so well, and now that appears to be falling away from them.

:thup:

Appears to be the case. I was really surprised at how poor they looked. I fully expected them to come back after 3 months off and be strong, physical and motivated like they were in August and September. Got it totally wrong, their heads dropped after the first goal and they just seemed to coast through the rest of the game.

They don't have a goalscorer in their team either. Mousset had a brief flash earlier in the season, Sharp is a lower league player, McBurnie not really hit the heights yet and David McGoaldrought probably up with Joelinton this season.

If they'd had a Danny Ings or a Jordan Ayew tickling double figures they'd be sitting comfy top four by now.