NUFC Time Machine

James

Here is the situation, the future owners have discovered magical gems in the Saudi desert that allow them to travel in time and they have decided to donate them to our club.

They can pick up any Newcastle player from our history and deliver them to any other point in time where they can play just one NUFC game before returning to their present timeline.

Players cannot meet themselves. There are only enough magical gems to do this three times.

Who do you pick up and where do you send them to?

Ok.....for example one of my choices would be to send ASM back to 2003 to play away at Marseille in place of Darren Ambrose in the UEFA Cup semi final.

Marseille have Robert and Shearer closed out at first but the sheer determination and skill of ASM breaks through and despite scoring first with Drogba I would expect us to get through to the final

Not what you were asking for but if I could go into a Time Machine I’d tell Batty not to let the ball slip under his feet for Woan to score for Forest. I’d tell Woodgate not to bother to keep the ball in play at the oppositions corner flag with a back heal against Partizan Belgrade leading them to spring the full length of the pitch and equalise. I’d also go back and convince KK not to quit but if couldn’t then inform SBR that he’s going to get sacked at Barcelona in a few month so you might as well takeover from KK.

Three small details that would’ve changed our history from what we see of it today :lol:

Not what you were asking for but if I could go into a Time Machine I’d tell Batty not to let the ball slip under his feet for Woan to score for Forest. I’d tell Woodgate not to bother to keep the ball in play at the oppositions corner flag with a back heal against Partizan Belgrade leading them to spring the full length of the pitch and equalise. I’d also go back and convince KK not to quit but if couldn’t then inform SBR that he’s going to get sacked at Barcelona in a few month so you might as well takeover from KK.

Three small details that would’ve changed our history from what we see of it today :lol:

Aye, I mean who wouldn’t go back and tell our scouts about Messi and Ronaldo?

You could make it so you could turn NUFC into a global giant, over just winning 1 cup or something.

You’d also make sure that you we rich as could be with sports betting and lottery numbers.

In Bellamy's first season, when we topped the league, I'd have magically given him a new pair of hamstrings half way through. If we'd have kept him fit, we'd have stood a good chance of winning the whole thing. Defenders just didn't know how to handle him at that point - bit like Vardy with Leicester a few years later. 

The answer is surely to pick up any one of 96/97 Shearer, 01-03 Given or current Dubs and put them in vs Man U in 96? We win that game we go on to win the league and history is changed forever

Agree with this

The answer is surely to pick up any one of 96/97 Shearer, 01-03 Given or current Dubs and put them in vs Man U in 96? We win that game we go on to win the league and history is changed forever

That was my immediate thought but then wondered if sticking Dubs or Given in for the likes of the 4-3 Liverpool game might make more sense? Something a bit more open, they can affect it more by holding them to a couple less goals, rather than the fine margin of the Man U game?

I was 6 at the time though so I could be completely wrong. :lol:

Can you use all three gems in one match?

This for me. I'd take Beardsley, Asprilla and Srnicek out. I loved Pav, but he was erratic. Same for Tino. And Beardsley was 35 by this point and very much on the wane.

Replace them with ASM, peak Shearer, and peak Given, and I think you've got a great chance of a different outcome. There's also an argument for keeping Srnicek in and swapping out one of Howey or Albert (Probably Howey) for a non-broken Woodgate.

Win this game and we win the league, simple as that.

Give SBR Lascelles, Fernandez, Lejeune, Schar and Clark.

Tell Sir Bobby just to give Distin the same pay as Robert, forget about Bramble and make him a permanent signing in 2002. Him and Woodgate would have been the best CB pairing we’ve ever had.

That was my immediate thought but then wondered if sticking Dubs or Given in for the likes of the 4-3 Liverpool game might make more sense? Something a bit more open, they can affect it more by holding them to a couple less goals, rather than the fine margin of the Man U game?

If we win the Man U game its a 6 point swing, beating Liverpool is only 3.

I also think Given or Dubs 100% save Cantona's shot and they had nothing else all game

If we win the Man U game its a 6 point swing, beating Liverpool is only 3.

I also think Given or Dubs 100% save Cantona's shot and they had nothing else all game

You can't factor that in because with different teams, different play would have ensued and Cantona wouldn't have had that same shot.

A different keeper still doesn't get you a goal.

I'm biased because I loved Pav but I've always found it extraordinary that he gets stick for that goal. Eric Cantona completely unmarked on the edge of the six yard box? Of course he scores. This is not a keeping error.

https://youtu.be/fLYWhWkPCWU

He's not at fault, and Pav is my favourite NUFC player but thats the type of shot that peak Given or Dubs makes a worldy to keep out