In the light of the failed takeover- are you going back to games, in the future

Big Geordie

I imagine watching us play now will feel even more like watching a very dull TV programme or an awful play.  The overwhelming feeling for me will be that the outcome's already been written and I don't think I can bring myself to particularly care at all what that outcome might be.  The idea of Premier League football providing a world where anything can happen is pretty clearly an illusion.  The "elite" will continue to look after themselves (as they have done since the league's inception) and will ensure that the odds continue to be loaded in their favour each year, so why bother...?

I imagine watching us play now will feel even more like watching a very dull TV programme or an awful play.  The overwhelming feeling for me will be that the outcome's already been written and I don't think I can bring myself to particularly care at all what that outcome might be.  The idea of Premier League football providing a world where anything can happen is pretty clearly an illusion.  The "elite" will continue to look after themselves (as they have done since the league's inception) and will ensure that the odds continue to be loaded in their favour each year, so why bother...?

How did Abramovich and Qatar manage to buy Chelsea and Man City if the elite clubs have done this since the leagues inception? Clearly that was not in Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and our (or anyone else in the PL at the time) interest back then. I get your point, and agree it smells like corruption for the sake of them maintaining their own status but it clearly hasn't been like this all the time.

A bit more on topic, I won't be watching any games of any kind of medium next season. Whenever I'm back in Newcastle on business travel and it falls close to a weekend or so I'll try to catch a game with Gateshead or Blyth instead.

It's so sad. I love Newcastle and the people living there. Going to football was always the primary objective but a big bonus was the nice athmosphere in the city, the shops, resturants so I'll definitely visit as much as I can but that will probably be less than before when I can't justify travelling to matches.

How did Abramovich and Qatar manage to buy Chelsea and Man City if the elite clubs have done this since the leagues inception?

Masters was not running the EPL then

How did Abramovich and Qatar manage to buy Chelsea and Man City if the elite clubs have done this since the leagues inception? Clearly that was not in Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and our (or anyone else in the PL at the time) interest back then. I get your point, and agree it smells like corruption for the sake of them maintaining their own status but it clearly hasn't been like this all the time.

A bit more on topic, I won't be watching any games of any kind of medium next season. Whenever I'm back in Newcastle on business travel and it falls close to a weekend or so I'll try to catch a game with Gateshead or Blyth instead.

It's so sad. I love Newcastle and the people living there. Going to football was always the primary objective but a big bonus was the nice athmosphere in the city, the shops, resturants so I'll definitely visit as much as I can but that will probably be less than before when I can't justify travelling to matches.

What I was really alluding to was the fact that the Premier League was set up to protect the interests of those clubs in that elite group.  While some clubs will move into and out of the group, the bigger players - such as Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal - were pretty much guaranteed to always be in it and therefore were able to take ever increasing shares of the revenues, so further cementing their place year after year.

Years later and the whole financial balance in English football is completely out of kilter.  The idea that we're now in a situation where, if you're relegated from the Premier League you're given three years worth of financial support, which gives you an unfair advantage over the other teams in the lower divisions, is anathema to me.  And the fact that clubs like Bury can go out of business, while the Premier League is awash with money, is a travesty.

I don't know if I'm making sense.  I'm just angry at everything and particularly the whole idea of the Premier League today.  It just feels like the whole set-up is inherently designed to protect the "big clubs" and that this is just another step to ensure that there are ever fewer and fewer challengers.

I have similar feelings about FFP and, for me, it was little surprise to see Liverpool and Tottenham come out in support of it recently, following the outcome of Man City's appeal.

Nah that's me done now. 100%. Prefer Rugby League to football these days as it is after getting into it 5 years ago when they brought Magic Weekend up here.

Keep saying I'll try to watch more Non League stuff but to be honest if the playing behind closed doors has shown me one thing it's that I'm not massively in to football like I always assumed I was. Of course the actual football played a part but I can see now that it was probably more the atmosphere and the crowd which gave me the overall experience that I enjoyed. I literally haven't been able to sit and watch a full match from start to finish since lockdown, even with the artificial crowd noise. It just doesn't do it for me.

I've had a good run of it anyway. I've seen us play Cambridge away, I've seen us play Barcelona away and about another 1,000 other games aside them.

No doubt I'll still watch the odd German/Spanish/French/Italian game on my IPTV once fans are allowed back in but as far as English football is concerned, that's my finish.

What I was really alluding to was the fact that the Premier League was set up to protect the interests of those clubs in that elite group.  While some clubs will move into and out of the group, the bigger players - such as Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal - were pretty much guaranteed to always be in it and therefore were able to take ever increasing shares of the revenues, so further cementing their place year after year.

Years later and the whole financial balance in English football is completely out of kilter.  The idea that we're now in a situation where, if you're relegated from the Premier League you're given three years worth of financial support, which gives you an unfair advantage over the other teams in the lower divisions, is anathema to me.  And the fact that clubs like Bury can go out of business, while the Premier League is awash with money, is a travesty.

I don't know if I'm making sense.  I'm just angry at everything and particularly the whole idea of the Premier League today.  It just feels like the whole set-up is inherently designed to protect the "big clubs" and that this is just another step to ensure that there are ever fewer and fewer challengers.

I have similar feelings about FFP and, for me, it was little surprise to see Liverpool and Tottenham come out in support of it recently, following the outcome of Man City's appeal.

You make perfect sense. :)

Rafa pulled me back (slightly) with a glimmer of hope, once that ended I returned to my post Rafa stance: "fuck it all", got pulled back again with this takeover talk.

Now I'm 'relegate them', I'll be actively wanting NUFC to be humiliated by Bruce and Ashley.  Done.

Maybe the odd big super Sunday hyper football fest between two of the big boys.

Can't think of anything worse than watching two teams whose fans are enjoying seeing their clubs challenging and being successful.

Agreed. FA cup final tomorrow. Who gives a F? I did some ground hopping when i binned my ST last season. Got about 14 left to do although covid might see a some clubs go bust. I was envious visiting places like Cheltenham/Mansfield and seeing how enthusiastic and wholeheartedly their fans could get behind their clubs.

What load of entitled bleeding heart gloryhunting wankers there are on this forum. At what point are you lot Newcastle supporters rather then Ashley haters? You've morphed into the latter but still think somehow you're part of the former.

'I haven't been since 1972 / 1986 / 1993, 2012 etc, I prefer rugby, going to Ald, watching paint dry, non-League, I can't bear to watch at all.

Why are you lot still actually on a forum which is supposed to be about supporting Newcastle? You hate everything about it. When did there become box ticking criteria for supporting a club? I'm not going back until the club looks like this, the owner looks like this, the manager looks like this etc etc, trying to out do each other on who can be the most hurt, the least caring like a load of petulant kids. What a load of shite.

The less people like you lot at the match the better. Nee wonder fans of other clubs think we're arseholes.

Fuck the lot of you.

What load of entitled bleeding heart gloryhunting wankers there are on this forum. At what point are you lot Newcastle supporters rather then Ashley haters? You've morphed into the latter but still think somehow you're part of the former.

'I haven't been since 1972 / 1986 / 1993, 2012 etc, I prefer rugby, going to Ald, watching paint dry, non-League, I can't bear to watch at all.

Why are you lot still actually on a forum which is supposed to be about supporting Newcastle? You hate everything about it. When did there become box ticking criteria for supporting a club? I'm not going back until the club looks like this, the owner looks like this, the manager looks like this etc etc, trying to out do each other on who can be the most hurt, the least caring like a load of petulant kids. What a load of shite.

The less people like you lot at the match the better. Nee wonder fans of other clubs think we're arseholes.

Fuck the lot of you.

Love you.

Fuck the lot of you.

And it’s about wanting what’s best for the club and acting on it to try and get rid of Ashley you wazzock.

Your username sums up the perfect Mike Ashley customer too.

What load of entitled bleeding heart gloryhunting w*****s there are on this forum. At what point are you lot Newcastle supporters rather then Ashley haters? You've morphed into the latter but still think somehow you're part of the former.

Why are you lot still actually on a forum which is supposed to be about supporting Newcastle? You hate everything about it. When did there become box ticking criteria for supporting a club? I'm not going back until the club looks like this, the owner looks like this, the manager looks like this etc etc, trying to out do each other on who can be the most hurt, the least caring like a load of petulant kids. What a load of s****.

f*** the lot of you.

ok boomer

Fuck the lot of you.

Translation:

‘I’m never giving up my season ticket and I really enjoy paying someone each season to literally shaft me up the arse. Anyone who doesn’t like being shafted and decides to stand up for themselves is the arsehole - not me!’

What load of entitled bleeding heart gloryhunting w*****s there are on this forum. At what point are you lot Newcastle supporters rather then Ashley haters? You've morphed into the latter but still think somehow you're part of the former.

Why are you lot still actually on a forum which is supposed to be about supporting Newcastle? You hate everything about it. When did there become box ticking criteria for supporting a club? I'm not going back until the club looks like this, the owner looks like this, the manager looks like this etc etc, trying to out do each other on who can be the most hurt, the least caring like a load of petulant kids. What a load of s****.

f*** the lot of you.

ok boomer

Probably one of the idiots that stood singing ‘We’ll support you ever more’ down at Leicester when we were being humped 5-0 because it looks defiant and good on the TV rather than doing something to try and get rid of Ashley and see us get our club back.

Fuck the lot of you.

Give the lads a boo at full time for me champ.