Jeff Hendrick (on loan at Sheffield Wednesday)

gdm

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was pissed off to see his creature come on at 80mins rather than Howe give Anderson a run out, or give Joe White a debut. 

Bet Jeff enjoyed his match bonus though. 

Can't remember the exact game where Bruce brought Jonjo on for 40 seconds for a match bonus - but Howe bringing Hendrick on over at least Anderson annoyed me similarly. 

Edited by SchärMix

8 hours ago, SchärMix said:

I was pissed off to see his creature come on at 80mins rather than Howe give Anderson a run out, or give Joe White a debut. 

Can't remember the exact game where Bruce brought Jonjo on for 40 seconds for a match bonus - but Howe bringing Hendrick on over at least Anderson annoyed me similarly. 

i left when he came on yesterday, thought exactly the same

8 hours ago, SchärMix said:

Aye bring Anderson or White on when we're getting absolutely spanked at home when the ground has already half emptied. Be a real good bit of learning experience for them, that.

With Hayden out, and the Shelvey/Joe Willock combo not really working, Hendrick might be called on in the next couple of weeks. Didn't see much to suggest he'll have any more impact than previously, but I guess everyone deserves a clean slate with a new manager in charge.

20 hours ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

Aye bring Anderson or White on when we're getting absolutely spanked at home when the ground has already half emptied. Be a real good bit of learning experience for them, that.

A brave manager wouldn’t hesitate to throw a youngster on in any situation if they are good enough and if they had something about them, there would be no traumatic experience making your debut at 4-0 down against Man City or any team. This culture at our club needs to change on and off the pitch. KK threw Tino on against Boro when he was half pissed for his debut, he could handle it and so could KK.

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

A brave manager wouldn’t hesitate to throw a youngster on in any situation if they are good enough and if they had something about them, there would be no traumatic experience making your debut at 4-0 down against Man City or any team. This culture at our club needs to change on and off the pitch. KK threw Tino on against Boro when he was half pissed for his debut, he could handle it and so could KK.

To be fair, Tino was 27 years old, had been a regular player for Columbia for 5 years, came from a trophy winning Parma side and had his debut against mid-table Middlebrough when we were the best attacking team in the league.

Not quite the same as throwing on 19 year old Elliot Anderson with 1 senior cap (subbed on after 87 min, almost 1 year ago) for one of the worst teams in the league against the best team in the league.

That being said, when City went 3-0 up there isn't really much to lose, and no pressure, so it's as good a time as any to give youth a much needed opportunity to gain some experience.

6 minutes ago, HTT II said:

There's nothing to gain from throwing Anderson and/or White on whilst we are getting absolutely spanked. They'll learn nothing from being given the run around from the likes of de Bruyne or Sterling when the rest of our players have already given up on the game and half the fans had walked out. May as well stick Hendrick on so he can get given the runaround and if and when he puts in a stinker of a performance then that will give us all the more of a reason to flog him when we can.

Asprilla wasn't half-pissed either, he had a glass of wine. He was 27 years old when we signed him, a seasoned international who had played in 1 world cup and 2 Copa Americas. When he was thrown on against Boro, he was thrown on in a Newcastle team that had quality throughout the XI against a very average Boro team. 

Man City are a world class side, Boro were most definitely not.

Asprilla was an international with well over 200+ appearances for club and country, Anderson and White have 1 or 2 appearances between them.

Asprilla was making his debut in a Newcastle side full of confidence and quality, this current Newcastle side is total shit and in a huge relegation dogfight. 

I'm all for giving the young lads a crack, but when the time is right - that isn't now.

25 minutes ago, Conjo said:

To be fair, Tino was 27 years old, had been a regular player for Columbia for 5 years, came from a trophy winning Parma side and had his debut against mid-table Middlebrough when we were the best attacking team in the league.

Not quite the same as throwing on 19 year old Elliot Anderson with 1 senior cap (subbed on after 87 min, almost 1 year ago) for one of the worst teams in the league against the best team in the league.

That being said, when City went 3-0 up there isn't really much to lose, and no pressure, so it's as good a time as any to give youth a much needed opportunity to gain some experience.

That’s a fair point, but my point is any manager has to be brave (not saying Howe isn’t btw), I guarantee those youngsters would have been gutted not to have made their debut and would have been dreaming of that day regardless of the opposition, minute or scoreline. 

Edited by HTT II

11 minutes ago, HTT II said:

That’s a fair point, but my point is any manager has to be brave (not saying Howe isn’t btw), I guarantee those youngsters would have been gutted not to have made their debut and would have been dreaming of that day regardless of the opposition, minute or scoreline

Absolutely, but that doesn't necessarily mean bringing them on at 0-3/0-4 down is the right thing to do. They just need to keep at it in training/academy games, and their time will come. 

3 hours ago, HTT II said:

Anderson's of legal age now. No reason he couldn't get pissed.

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

That’s a fair point, but my point is any manager has to be brave (not saying Howe isn’t btw), I guarantee those youngsters would have been gutted not to have made their debut and would have been dreaming of that day regardless of the opposition, minute or scoreline. 

I've no doubt they are dreaming about their debuts, but who wants their debut to be a 4-0 defeat?

• 1 month later...