Ryan Fraser (on loan at Southampton)

Chapo

Think that's harsh. He played well with Almiron and Wilson in the 433 before ASM took his place. I know it was only a couple of games, but still.

What's apparent is he needs someone like Almiron, or Wilson to play with. You can't stick him out left and think he's going to do ASM's role.

Shades of Sheffield United today. 4 defenders, 4 Centre mids, him and Joelinton.

He contributed very little today but in fairness to him, I don't think he's had a chance to get going at all. He's barely been any more than half-fit for the entire season and now he's guaranteed a run in the team, he's being played in an unfamiliar 'wide striker' position - or whatever you wanna call it in this mess of a line-up (which has, let's face it, worked once so far).

He's an orthodox winger, as far as I can see, but today he spent most of the time a lot narrower, with long periods without the ball, tightly marked and being the intended recipient of several awkward long balls. If the Krafth throw-in stuff is anything to go by (along with the general performance), we've decided that set pieces are going to be our salvation in the absence of the competent forwards, so Fraser's obviously gonna be vital there.

I feel for him a bit. Thought he looked miserable today, along with the rest of em.

Decent player, just not for us. Genuinely think the lads walk onto the pitch with more questions than answers of what they're supposed to be doing, so I feel a bit uneasy judging anyone. He has done pretty much nowt since arriving mind, very underwhelming as I hoped we would get this explosive player, confident, shooting from distance, being a nuisance. He's none of those on evidence.

Spent is near on his whole career playing for Eddie Howe, your bound to see a totally different player from what we were expecting and buying on the back of last couple of seasons at Bournemouth.

Bournemouth where always on front foot, he’d have full backs near him, runners ahead, and players within 30 yards!

Thought he barely touched ball today, everything was direct into Joe.

He’s a good player, but not good enough to transcend the debilitating effects of playing for Steve Bruce. ASM is that bit more skilful on the ball to dribble round someone, so wouldn’t matter who he was playing for (he’d be even better not playing for SB).

Like all our forwards, it’s an up hill battle playing for Bruce. Throughout his 25+ years, You can probably count the forwards on one hand that have looked real class for sustained period or just a season, plus stayed injury free - Darren Bent only one I can think of.

Spent is near on his whole career playing for Eddie Howe, your bound to see a totally different player from what we were expecting and buying on the back of last couple of seasons at Bournemouth.

Bournemouth where always on front foot, he’d have full backs near him, runners ahead, and players within 30 yards!

He’s a good player, but not good enough to transcend the debilitating effects of playing for Steve Bruce. ASM is that bit more skilful on the ball to dribble round someone, so wouldn’t matter who he was playing for (he’d be even better not playing for SB).

Like all our forwards, it’s an up hill battle playing for Bruce. Throughout his 25+ years, You can probably count the forwards on one hand that have looked real class for sustained period or just a season, plus stayed injury free - Darren Bent only one I can think of.

Think that's absolutely bang on. Wilson, Almiron and Saint-Maximin the only ones who have attributes that mean they will always look decent. The rest need help from the coach and they ain't been getting it for approaching 2 years. It's no wonder there's dressing room dissent.

Think that's absolutely bang on. Wilson, Almiron and Saint-Maximin the only ones who have attributes that mean they will always look decent. The rest need help from the coach and they ain't been getting it for approaching 2 years. It's no wonder there's dressing room dissent.

Yeah, even those 3 would look greater playing for someone else. Wilson’s looked pretty isolated, and so-so much of the season, but that’s down to support and service around him. Never faulted his efforts, and can see his quality once a month when things do fall in place.

It’s the same with a lot of players. Yes they are limited, but their just being badly used which compounds their uselessness.

Bruce is forever saying stuff like ‘we got in positions, but lacked quality/didn’t work out’. Yeah, that’s to be expected. Emil Krath gets forward 10 time, maybe once or twice out those 10 he’ll pull something off - same with Joe. But you can’t be restricting how the side attacks so much, that those 10 times these sorts of players getting into good areas is spread across 5/6 games.

I don’t know if that makes sense, but these players will rely on confidence to get things right. No use Krath, Joe, Fraser getting one or two opportunities to do something around the box a game and expecting them to pull off every time.

He's a classic winger meant to stay wide.  He delivers beautiful crosses but his close passes are abysmal.  He cost us an early goal against West Brom.  A simple square up was behind both players.

Said in another thread somewhere but this sort of thing is to be expected from level of players we have, and amount of chances we create. Consistency in their quality, final product in attack isn’t there otherwise they wouldn’t be playing for us.

Chasing a lost cause creating one or two decent opportunities a game, then relying on likes of Fraser and Joe to produce on demand like that.

If he got that or a similar pass on again that first half we wouldn’t be making same mistake. It’d be fresh in memory and you’d back him to do better. Problem is those opportunities come once a game, and then it’s waiting for next game. Might even be weeks before he gets a chance for assist like that again.

At Bournemouth he’d be getting ball in decent positions numerous times a game, was easy for him to get into a flow and produce things in final third.

We need to get forward a lot more, get in to better areas much more and creating more opportunities to get it right.

• 5 months later...

Both Fraser and Hendrick have been absolutely terrible free signings. Ashley must have the proverbial face of the bulldog licking piss off a thistle at how they've turned out and long may it continue.

4 minutes ago, Beth said:

Both Fraser and Hendrick have been absolutely terrible free signings. Ashley must have the proverbial face of the bulldog licking piss off a thistle at how they've turned out and long may it continue.

He might be annoyed if he cared, but since the club pays for every player through money that is self generated, I think he probably doesn't give a fuck.