Ryan Fraser (on loan at Southampton)

Chapo

4 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Murphy/A New Player should really be starting instead of him. But can’y fault his graft again. 

Don't think Murphy gives you much more either. Maybe a bit more pace and strength with worse end-product. All our options are pretty terrible for this position but cb/sm seems more urgent. A quality player on the right would be a fantastic upgrade though. I am a bit surprised about how poor Fraser's finishing and crossing has been since he became a starter though, he got plenty of assists at Bournemouth, seems to have lost a yard of pace too.

Edited by nortoon

9 minutes ago, nortoon said:

Don't think Murphy gives you much more either. Maybe a bit more pace and strength with worse end-product. All our options are pretty terrible for this position but cb/sm seems more urgent. A quality player on the right would be a fantastic upgrade though. I am a bit surprised about how poor Fraser's finishing and crossing has been since he became a starter though, he got plenty of assists at Bournemouth, seems to have lost a yard of pace too.

I don’t think he has worse end product. Historically over his career, maybe. But Fraser has not put up good numbers for a while, I don’t think? 

He put the odd decent enough cross in today. But he often fails to make the most of a shooting or crossing opportunity. 

Murphy is a bit more wayward and I guess not as trustworthy out of possession. But he is actually pretty rapid, will try shots and crosses regularly, with massively varying degrees of success :lol: and he is good carrying the ball forward. 

Like you say, though. Hardly spoilt for choice in the wide areas. 

He's another lacking fitness, but he never gives up. His effort obviously means he tires quicker than most, and might explain his proneness for injury. I'd like to see him in good shape because he can be effective. was it Brentford where he put a cross on ASM's toe for him to score.

2 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

He's another lacking fitness, but he never gives up. His effort obviously means he tires quicker than most, and might explain his proneness for injury. I'd like to see him in good shape because he can be effective. was it Brentford where he put a cross on ASM's toe for him to score.

Aye, when he missed that chance you could see he was fucked, then pretty much hobbled back to protect Trippier when they tried breaking summed him up. Think he’ll be good for the relegation battle then move him on.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Aye, when he missed that chance you could see he was fucked, then pretty much hobbled back to protect Trippier when they tried breaking summed him up. Think he’ll be good for the relegation battle then move him on.

Think I'd be happy to have him as back up next year. Like I say, if he can get a good pre-season under his belt, he'll be an effective sub.

17 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Think I'd be happy to have him as back up next year. Like I say, if he can get a good pre-season under his belt, he'll be an effective sub.

Maybe with a pre-season under a proper setup he might get some of his form from a few years ago back.

2 hours ago, Consortium of one said:

Fraser and Miggy are two sides of the same coin.

It's an odd one, I get the feeling he would provide more end product if he was actually getting into the final third a bit more, but it seems he's playing more as a defensive wide man than a forward, and that takes away all his cutting edge. He's just not an athlete so often gets overrun and as a result gets lost in the melee for the most part. 

I think the biggest factor is how little play time he has had the past couple of years. He is running himself into the ground every game but he doesn't physically have the same stamina he did when at bournemouth under Howe.

Hopefully he just gets stronger. We know there is a player there from his Bournemouth days, IF his body let's him. 

agreed on the effort, he never stopped running. maybe my memory is hazy, but I remember him having this burst of pace that would leave defenders for dead in his days at bournemouth. Not sure if hes just lacking fitness, or injuries etc, but he looks so weak in everything he does.

11 hours ago, thorin said:

Has anyone figured out why he's the corner taker nowadays? Giving me headaches :/

They’re no worse than Shelvey’s - and now Trippier’s here it frees him up.

Fraser takes the in-swingers with his left, Trippier with his right. Shelvey now takes a position on the edge of the box, either to get a shot away or “recycle” it if it’s cleared. It’s a simple but smart move IMO. 

3 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

They’re no worse than Shelvey’s - and now Trippier’s here it frees him up.

Fraser takes the in-swingers with his left, Trippier with his right. Shelvey now takes a position on the edge of the box, either to get a shot away or “recycle” it if it’s cleared. It’s a simple but smart move IMO. 

Huh?