Ryan Fraser (on loan at Southampton)

Chapo

59 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Even that isn't really what happened. His contract had expired and they wanted him to play on.

His contract expired at the end of the season, but COVID pushed the end of the season beyond the end of his contract. A lot of us felt that he should have done the decent thing and seen the season out even if that meant extending his contract for a handful of games - as many, many players at clubs at all levels did. It’s how we all pulled together after a global pandemic - we all did a bit extra for each other.  Eddie plucked Fraser from Scottish obscurity for 400k, turned him into the player that tore Liverpool a new one in a 4-3 victory at Dean Court, all the while (by Fraser’s own admission) looking after him like a surrogate father. We felt that he owed Eddie, if not us, that bit of loyalty. But we understand that his contract was up and even if the average person with a bit of moral fibre would have seen out the season (according to the spirit if not the letter of his contract), he was under no obligation to do so.

What most people outside our fanbase don’t realise is that he was open in the press that he simply hadn’t tried for us all season (Google it). That’s the bit we really can’t forgive. He was so desperate to get his big move that he couldn’t be bothered to play for the manager who made him. And had he given his best for a full season, no way we go down. 

I was delighted that the move didn’t work out, that hated his shockingly bad manager and was a flop with the fans. Ironically, it was being reunited with Eddie last season that made him look like a player again for 5 minutes. He was a one season wonder for us and will be out of your doors within two more windows. Frankly, there’s no way he would have started for us on Saturday, and may not even have made the bench. (And for all the boo-boys in your stands, that’s the reality of why you didn’t beat us (and nothing to do with Eddie)… your best half a dozen players are in a different league to us, but the rest are Fraser-standard - and you can’t fix that overnight).

Very fair comments @CherryPie, I was dead against Fraser staying on with us last season until he started putting in outrageously high effort performances. For Eddie’s high press system I thought he could work, especially as he can actually whip a ball in but he seems to have slowed down, is picking up injuries and is not going all out like he was last season. I think it’s time for him to move on to a lower PL / upper championship side 

50 minutes ago, CherryPie said:

His contract expired at the end of the season, but COVID pushed the end of the season beyond the end of his contract. A lot of us felt that he should have done the decent thing and seen the season out even if that meant extending his contract for a handful of games - as many, many players at clubs at all levels did. It’s how we all pulled together after a global pandemic - we all did a bit extra for each other.  Eddie plucked Fraser from Scottish obscurity for 400k, turned him into the player that tore Liverpool a new one in a 4-3 victory at Dean Court, all the while (by Fraser’s own admission) looking after him like a surrogate father. We felt that he owed Eddie, if not us, that bit of loyalty. But we understand that his contract was up and even if the average person with a bit of moral fibre would have seen out the season (according to the spirit if not the letter of his contract), he was under no obligation to do so.

What most people outside our fanbase don’t realise is that he was open in the press that he simply hadn’t tried for us all season (Google it). That’s the bit we really can’t forgive. He was so desperate to get his big move that he couldn’t be bothered to play for the manager who made him. And had he given his best for a full season, no way we go down. 

I was delighted that the move didn’t work out, that hated his shockingly bad manager and was a flop with the fans. Ironically, it was being reunited with Eddie last season that made him look like a player again for 5 minutes. He was a one season wonder for us and will be out of your doors within two more windows. Frankly, there’s no way he would have started for us on Saturday, and may not even have made the bench. (And for all the boo-boys in your stands, that’s the reality of why you didn’t beat us (and nothing to do with Eddie)… your best half a dozen players are in a different league to us, but the rest are Fraser-standard - and you can’t fix that overnight).

Can't really argue with any of that, Fraser was selfish and it hurt his team big time. Can't blame you for being pissed off.

45 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Very fair comments @CherryPie, I was dead against Fraser staying on with us last season until he started putting in outrageously high effort performances. For Eddie’s high press system I thought he could work, especially as he can actually whip a ball in but he seems to have slowed down, is picking up injuries and is not going all out like he was last season. I think it’s time for him to move on to a lower PL / upper championship side 

He never looks fit to me. I don't know if that's just his natural shape but he looks a touch overweight to me since he's been here.

1 hour ago, samptime29 said:

I like him as a sub to come on for 20 mins but shouldn't be starting.

When the next option is Murphy, Fraser will always be the choice for LW (obviously we all want St Maximin out there as first choice).

There was a spell around Brentford away last year where I thought we finally were seeing the best of him. Assists and goals.

He's been poor so far this season. He's lucky that Murphy and Ritchie are so shit because he's the next on the list to leave.

This is the last opportunity to convince Howe he can be starter and he's flat lining.

Fraser never went on strike. Given his position, I respect his call - especially how his relationship remained in tact with Howe.

Honestly, no contract from Bournemouth, and the Covid situation at the time; I would have never played for Bournemouth again. The risk is too high, within seconds he could have a leg snapped.

You tell me what you'd do given that situation - risk losing losing millions when you needn't bother, or hold out for a new contract.  

Clinton Morrison hung out the back Bruce's daughter. His solution was to sell his top goalscorer. I'll still value Ritchie, Fraser and Wilson all the while Howe is here.

8 hours ago, Nolberto Disco said:

Fraser never went on strike. Given his position, I respect his call - especially how his relationship remained in tact with Howe.

Honestly, no contract from Bournemouth, and the Covid situation at the time; I would have never played for Bournemouth again. The risk is too high, within seconds he could have a leg snapped.

You tell me what you'd do given that situation - risk losing losing millions when you needn't bother, or hold out for a new contract.  

Clinton Morrison hung out the back Bruce's daughter. His solution was to sell his top goalscorer. I'll still value Ritchie, Fraser and Wilson all the while Howe is here.

This is my stance on the situation, that he didn't have to continue playing and doing so whilst admirable would have been risky but the Bournemouth fan earlier suggested that wasn't the primary issue, apparently he admitted he didn't try during that season

If indeed that is the case then that is scumbag behaviour from Fraser and I totally understand why they don't like him

Accurate crossing with his right foot, who would have thought.  Goes back to an earlier comment I made after the Bournemouth game, why doesn't Howe switch wingers, Fraser to right and Almiron to left, if things aren't going to plan?

Edited by TorchyTBB

55 minutes ago, TorchyTBB said:

Accurate crossing with his right foot, who who have thought.  Goes back to an earlier comment I made after the Bournemouth game, why doesn't Howe switch wingers, Fraser to right and Almiron to left, if things aren't goint to plan?

That's the only question I have. With regards to everything else, Howe has been exceptional, but the reluctance to try this on Saturday was bewildering.

On 19/09/2022 at 14:43, RodneyCisse said:

He did his job last season but I think this has to be the last season we’re using players like him.

He was largely pap last season too.

Agreed about swapping wingers. Almiron in particular is going to do the same thing game in game out on the right. Move him sometimes at least.