Callum Wilson: sidelined for up to 12 weeks with pectoral injury (Hope)

Strawberry

3 hours ago, Pilko said:

You'd think he would have realised by now that we get absolutely fuck all from referees (on pitch or video assistant) and trying to win a pen is a monumental waste of time.

I feel like he's lost his edge post Spurs.

He also has absolutely zero competition for his place. Not doubting his professionalism but having literally no one on your toes for a starting place will effect anyone eventually, particularly a centre-forward. Another striker is a must in January imo. 

His best season for Bouremouth was 14 in 30, last season in a Bruceball side he scored 12 in 26. He has 4 in 9 this season, in a side that is the only team in the 92 not to actually win a game yet.

Wilson is never going to pick up a game by it's balls and go win it for us. He'll score goals, his strike rate stands up to anyone playing lower PL sides.

When we are on top for periods in games, and creating enough chances, he'll score and help us win games. When he's missing sitters constantly from 10 yards out, then I'll criticise him. 

Even throughout Bruceball, he was best I've seen for years up with Rondon at holding up a ball that's launched at him with two CB up his arse, and no support from miles around. 

Edited by Abra Dubravka

Just wish he’d shoot man. Lacazette had one sniff and he created his shot and fired it. Wilson dallies a bit too much on the ball last few matches. I love the bloke - think he’s brilliant, but he’s got to fucking shoot. Toney - didn’t linger on the ball he just hit it hard at goal and forced the keeper to make a play (darlow) who fumbled it in. 

I feel the team could do with a better centre forward tbh. I understand he was and still is one of the best in this Newcastle, but a natural goal scorer is needed. Of course, after fixing what's more important, the defense and the midfield.

I have mixed feelings about him, hard to really blame him since he gets so few chances. 

His pen was really bad, got lucky that Krul didn’t save it. Also continually tried to win free kicks by falling over, despite the ref having none of it. 

Very hard job today though, he worked himself into the ground. 

Scoring at a one in two rate both this season and overall for us in the PL. Absolute insanity to be having a pop at his performance even more so given the absolutely zero alternative. If, and it’s a long shot, we get out of it he’ll be the main bloke behind it. 

Agree with not being confident with him on pens.  I thought he missed a good few at Bournemouth, for some reason.  But they said on comms he had scored 9 of his last 10 and was 4/4 for us, so now 5/5.  

He looked really nervous taking it last night.  Can't really blame him, mind.  That was huge.  Must have felt like our whole season on one kick.  

I love him.  He puts himself about, he makes intelligent runs, he is better back to goal than I gave him credit for, as well as being a bit quicker than I expected.  Plus he scores a high percentage of the chances we create for him.  I just wish he would learn to buy free kicks a bit better, if he is going to keep trying that flop when defenders are leaning on him.  He isn't shy of a physical battle and I admire his graft when he is often isolated up there on his own.  But he is never convincing when going over.

He seems to go over while running, rather than when backing in or jumping with a defender. Which isn't really the free kick that strikers tend to get.

It’s a bit of a harsh criticism since he’s only doing it because he feels it’s the only way to retain the ball again multiple defenders. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

On 01/12/2021 at 10:22, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He seems to go over while running, rather than when backing in or jumping with a defender. Which isn't really the free kick that strikers tend to get.

It’s a bit of a harsh criticism since he’s only doing it because he feels it’s the only way to retain the ball again multiple defenders. 

He regularly goes down when back to goal and trying to shield the ball. I think some of them are fouls. But he very rarely gets them and a lot of the time, it seems like he hits the deck a bit too easily. 

See Kane for basically all of the Euros. Then the ref in the final was having none of it. 

He has been very isolated for most the season. Even in 2 of the 3 games since Howe arrived. Due to playing Arsenal and then 10 men for pretty much a whole game. So that has hardly helped.