Callum Wilson: back in full training

Strawberry

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

As harsh as it might sound, unless we’re getting a top class striker on loan only, I think we need to be looking at his replacement this month.

Potentially you're right. I think there's a few strikers we have been linked with who you would say are capable of being the main goalscorer / No9. Vlahovic is the one that springs to mind. If were looking to soend £40m plus on a forward they are going to be vying for Wilsons spot.

15 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

As harsh as it might sound, unless we’re getting a top class striker on loan only, I think we need to be looking at his replacement this month.

Agreed. The club were probably hoping he stayed fit and to bring in a younger back up option. It’s a totally different picture now. Not having a legitimate striking option could mean relegation because we have to assume the worst with Wilson and that he might miss most of the rest of the season. Shame, great player but just too injury prone. 

15 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

That "Scoop" just put another 15 million onto the asking price of any striker. 

Thats probably not far from the truth. Club would probably try and keep it fairly quiet if he’s done for much longer. If clubs know he’s likely done for most of the remaining season they’ll play even harder ball.

Absolutely inevitable, the poor lad just can't be relied upon. I wouldn't be remotely averse to us moving him on in the summer but he's such an obvious risk for anyone who could afford to buy him. Obviously he's been crucial to us when fit but it was a poorly planned signing, really. 

Even if we do well transfers-wise in other positions, we're absolutely knackered if we can't find a competent striker or two before the end of January. 

We needed a striker anyway, this was always going to happen at some point. 

I’d keep him as a rotation player or even to play two forwards at times. But we need probably two capable strikers ahead of him. Short term, one might have to do. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Feel for the guy, and if he likes the vision they have for the club forward and would be happy to contribute in a backup role I'd be more than happy for him to stay. But we sure as hell need to be focusing on a striker or two of equal or better quality that can relied upon.

Guest reefatoon
5 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Definitely agree. He is far too fragile to be relied upon unfortunately. Would be much better as a sub to come on in games than to be starting. such a shame for him too, but you need your main striker to be playing constantly.

One to replace Gayle, and one to replace Wilson. Wouldn't mind keeping Wilson in the squad as a back up striker, mind.

Even if he can't last a full season, he'd be a cracking option to come off the bench or as cover for a few games.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We needed a striker anyway, this was always going to happen at some point. 

I’d keep him as a rotation player or even to play two forwards at times. But we need probably two capable strikers ahead of him. Short term, one might have to do. 

Yep, he's too good to be a back up for anyone, and also too good for me to want him sold. We should get another shit hot striker and use them both as and when necessary. If someone wants to pay us big money then fair enough, otherwise he's still worth more to us.