Callum Wilson: back in full training (Downie)

Strawberry

Guest HTT II

He’s a pure instinctive finisher, and he has a decent all-around game, especially physically despite not being a beast size wise. I’d say Abraham, who I’d love here, is the better allrounder and more versatile, but not as good a finisher as our sexy number 9. I thought he was pretty anonymous at times yesterday, but he was up against a wall for the majority of the game. Hopefully he has an injury free season, bags himself 15-20 goals and makes the WC squad. He’s a very likeable person and I love his shithousery on the pitch. He must be a nightmare to mark/face. Especially inside the box. That goal was ridiculous really!

Guest HTT II
43 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

"It didn't take til December this year."

Just another sign of the change of attitude throughout the club. Imagine making fun of that a year ago, fans would have lynched him.

Nice little dig I’d like to think at old cabbage head too…

On 07/08/2022 at 11:52, Lenny said:

I genuinely think his biggest strength is his confidence and how he backs himself. You can see it in how he talks and how he carries himself - there's no doubt in his mind that he's going to successfully do what he's trying to do.

I can't imagine you can easily coach such unwavering self belief into a person.

Absolutely. It was only after watching the game back I noticed that there was also 2 or 3 occasions where he had found space at the far post for a tap in and either Maxi or Almiron couldn't put him in and he was going ballistic pointing both arms down at his feet in front of goal. He stays fit for a full season and he's hitting 20 goals no problem.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Don't see the rush tbh. Turns 31 in February, when current contract expires he'll be 32, ~half way to 33. Why not wait until next season and evaluate whether to extend or let him go at the end of his contract. I doubt we'll be in a position where we rely on 33+ year old Callum Wilson to score goals in 2-3 years time. If it's just a pay rise on the same duration then fair enough - keep the handsome devil happy and motivated.

34 minutes ago, TRon said:

Absolutely. It was only after watching the game back I noticed that there was also 2 or 3 occasions where he had found space at the far post for a tap in and either Maxi or Almiron couldn't put him in and he was going ballistic pointing both arms down at his feet in front of goal. He stays fit for a full season and he's hitting 20 goals no problem.

He does it a lot, however we unfortunately have wingers in particular that are a combination of difficult to anticipate as a striker / inconsistent in their delivery, or simply not good enough in their delivery.

The anticipation from the striker buys them a yard and if you don't have wingers that will put the ball to them when they've made the space, the chance is wasted and the strikers output significantly diminishes.

For example, as much as I like Almiron at his best; having myself played as a striker in Sunday/local league, I would find him the most frustrating team mate to play with. He'll work himself an opportunity to deliver a final ball to the striker that's made the necessary run, only to inexplicably cut back or carry it too long, totally nullifying any threat/opportunity that the striker had earned themselves. He turns a 75% chance of a goal into less than 25% chance of a goal.

I've even seen Wood make the right runs only for the wide man to cut back and slow the play down, however I fear this observation might downplay my entire post :lol:

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

Don't see the rush tbh. Turns 31 in February, when current contract expires he'll be 32, ~half way to 33. Why not wait until next season and evaluate whether to extend or let him go at the end of his contract. I doubt we'll be in a position where we rely on 33+ year old Callum Wilson to score goals in 2-3 years time. If it's just a pay rise on the same duration then fair enough - keep the handsome devil happy and motivated.

As big a fan as I am of Wilson, I have to agree. But I doubt we'll be handing him a contract extension unless he stays fit for a fair proportion of this season, and given his history, that's a big ask.

13 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The problem we might have is that absolutely loads of the squad are out of contract the summer after next, so we might need to hand out an extension or two.

But we are atively looking for a younger striker even this window, you would like to think we'd have brought in someone pretty exciting who would be a possible successor to Wilson by then.

Don't think he was at his sharpest vs Forest and scored, don't think he had enough support with him today.

ASM fizzled out the game and Miggy was buzzing around but never quite tight enough when we needed him to be.

CBs deliberately wound Wilson up today, love how he has a nasty streak in him though. 

He's usually the only man in the box and thus easily marked by a couple of centre backs. When the crosses come in there needs to be other forwards arriving in the box on the opposite side. You can't expect him to produce magical finishes out of the hat every week.