Callum Wilson: back in full training (Downie)

Strawberry

35 minutes ago, CPL said:

Am I the only one who was annoyed he didn't shoot? Anyone but Grealish! 

What was annoying was that Grealish wasnt even anticipating the pass, a good player would have held back at the penalty spot for the pass

Grealish had promised to do that celebration should he score for a young un. I wonder if Wilson's decision to pass to him in an open area was due to it. May not be like but if he was 50/50 it may swing it. Fair play if it was the case. 

Edited by Joey

I think he made a good and unselfish call, if he had missed it would've effected his chances in getting another chance in other games. He played it safe and it resulted in a goal.

I'm really pleased for him and for us, he always gave us his best when fit and he deserves to enjoy every bit of this moment, hopefully he will find the net the next time he's given a chance.

7 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I think he made a good and unselfish call, if he had missed it would've effected his chances in getting another chance in other games. He played it safe and it resulted in a goal.

I'm really pleased for him and for us, he always gave us his best when fit and he deserves to enjoy every bit of this moment, hopefully he will find the net the next time he's given a chance.

Yep, he looked excellent, it was the right call.  I think he is a smart man.  Exact same scenario playing for us he would have tried to score.

1 hour ago, 2sheds said:

Sheringhams pass to Shearer in Euro 96 against the Dutch comes to mind

That was clever as it drew a defender and gave Shearer a clear shot. Wilson could easily have gone for goal and no one would have argued at 5-1.

17 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Not scoring will give Goofy an excuse to keep him on the bench.Kane was poor again.

Kane did decent. Didn't score obviously but was a nice assist to Sterling and could easily had another. 

He always comes good in tournaments so you start him for that reason. Selfishly, I don't want Wilson playing too much incase his hamstrings go. 

1 hour ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Not scoring will give Goofy an excuse to keep him on the bench.Kane was poor again.

What are you on about? There’s no debate at all about Kane’s place. Secondly, an intelligent assist will only go down well with Southgate. 

Oddest take for a while. 

I reckon he passed it to help more secure more minutes as the tournament goes on. I think it will have worked with Gareth too. 

Agreed at NUFC he would have took the shot, but he's our main man and if he had made an arse of it, he wouldn't risk losing his spot in our team. 

Happy for him though. 

11 hours ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Kane will always start ahead of anyone tbf, Wilson may get his chance if we qualify early.

8 hours ago, Weezertron said:

I reckon he passed it to help more secure more minutes as the tournament goes on. I think it will have worked with Gareth too. 

Not sure he really thought much about it myself, think he just instinctively knew it was a goal if he played it across.