Callum Wilson: sidelined for up to 12 weeks with pectoral injury (Hope)

Strawberry

Realistically, if Kane is out for the tournament, we're fucked. Neither Rashford nor Wilson are great at holding the ball up.

I would have taken another out and out striker to the World Cup, rather than Rashford. Of those who are fit, Abraham would probably have been the best choice.

We could try something fancy like a false 9, but we don't have any experience in playing that way.

Edited by Cronky

13 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Realistically, if Kane is out for the tournament, we're fucked. Neither Rashford nor Wilson are great at holding the ball up.

I would have taken another out and out striker to the World Cup, rather than Rashford. Of those who are fit, Abraham would probably have been the best choice.

We could try something fancy like a false 9, but we don't have any experience in playing that way.

Why you don't rate Wilson?

18 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Abraham has been in shit form.

Also been awful at holding the ball up this season.

Just change the tactics, there's plenty of incredible talents in our midfield to not have to rely on Kane holding the ball up ffs. Play like us, or Man City.

7 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

Why you don't rate Wilson?

I think he's a good finisher, and is at his best playing on the shoulder of the last defender. I don't think he's great at dropping deeper and linking up the attack.

It's not so much that I don't rate Wilson as that I do rate Kane. With modern lone striker systems, ideally you need someone who can finish, hold the ball up, and create chances for his team-mates. There aren't many strikers who can do all 3, but Kane is one of them. He'd be a big loss. 

The wisdom was that Wilson was being brought along to provide something different. I think Southgate would have in mind bringing him on if we were in trouble in the later stages of a match, or if we were cruising and he wanted to give Kane a rest.

If Southgate thinks that Rashford can do Kane's job, then I reckon he'll be disappointed. Rashford needs space and time to operate.

I think the team can still do okay, but our chances of winning the thing have gone without Kane IMO.

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

I think he's a good finisher, and is at his best playing on the shoulder of the last defender. I don't think he's great at dropping deeper and linking up the attack.

It's not so much that I don't rate Wilson as that I do rate Kane. With modern lone striker systems, ideally you need someone who can finish, hold the ball up, and create chances for his team-mates. There aren't many strikers who can do all 3, but Kane is one of them. He'd be a big loss. 

The wisdom was that Wilson was being brought along to provide something different. I think Southgate would have in mind bringing him on if we were in trouble in the later stages of a match, or if we were cruising and he wanted to give Kane a rest.

If Southgate thinks that Rashford can do Kane's job, then I reckon he'll be disappointed. Rashford needs space and time to operate.

I think the team can still do okay, but our chances of winning the thing have gone without Kane IMO.

I agree that Wilson isn't on Kane's level when it comes to creating chances or passing range, but I don't understand people that say Wilson isn't good at holding the ball up.

I think he's ridiculously underrated when it comes to his hold up play, I think becuase he's not the tallest of strikers. But he will battle CBs all game and bring balls down and retain possesion. I first realised how good he was at it when he first came to Newcastle as I didn't expect him to be able to bully CBs the way he does. I was then reminded of it when he came back after his injury and Chris Wood was covering for him. You would expect Chris Wood to be better at holding the ball up being that he is a massive lump and a back to goal type of striker, but Wilson is miles ahead of Wood when it comes to actually bringing the ball down, Wood could win headers but they would mostly be flicked on into areas and we would lose possession.

12 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

I agree that Wilson isn't on Kane's level when it comes to creating chances or passing range, but I don't understand people that say Wilson isn't good at holding the ball up.

I think he's ridiculously underrated when it comes to his hold up play, I think becuase he's not the tallest of strikers. But he will battle CBs all game and bring balls down and retain possesion. I first realised how good he was at it when he first came to Newcastle as I didn't expect him to be able to bully CBs the way he does. I was then reminded of it when he came back after his injury and Chris Wood was covering for him. You would expect Chris Wood to be better at holding the ball up being that he is a massive lump and a back to goal type of striker, but Wilson is miles ahead of Wood when it comes to actually bringing the ball down, Wood could win headers but they would mostly be flicked on into areas and we would lose possession.

Well that all comes down to perception. I don't think holding the ball up is one of Wilson's strengths, and if we're going to win anything with our system, we need a striker that's actually good at that.

14 minutes ago, James said:

Or Foden as a False 9

Is the bold alternative, but I don't think we're prepared for that.

11 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Feel the same. I want Wilson to keep his form because, Newcastle > USMNT, but please let us get points to get out of the group. :lol: 

USMNT loses 1-0 to England on an injury time goal from Wilson

Iran and wales draw

USMNT Draws with Iran

Wales gets butt-fucked by England, Wilson hat trick.

USA goals through on 2 points via goal difference.