Callum Wilson: sidelined for up to 12 weeks with pectoral injury (Hope)

Strawberry

Needs one to go in off his arse, he was in the right place on a couple of occasions but does seem maybe a yard off it. Would've had a tap in had Almiron crossed in the second half when the ball was on his right foot rather than play it back out to the support behind.

Clearly still not back to his best but looked a little more like his usual self last night I thought. Winning freekicks, relieving pressure and being a nuisance. Just going through a barren spell at the moment which I'm sure will pass.

Edited by MrRaspberryJam

He's out of form but I think we might need to make a tactical change to help him as well; he's playing as a target man but physically he's not really delivering in that role. He's not weak but he's always got two men on his back when balls come into him from Trippier and the CBs, and never looks favourite in those moments. Nine times out of ten he's coming out of those duels second best.

We need to find a way of isolating him against one defender, where the battle is less about physicality and more about his quick feet (underrated skill of his, but mostly missing atm) and his ability to roll past an opponent. Isak in that role between the midfield and the attack, a la the Fulham game, might be the answer, but that means going 4-2-3-1; although, tbf, that might be worth a thought regardless, given Bruno's suspension. 

Wilson needs to pick his arse up a bit but he needs a bit of help from the boss as well imo. 

I thought he was getting into it a bit before he went off.  Their changes meant he got a bit more space and was causing their CB's problems.

He started the Fulham and Leicester games poorly, the same as this one and then grew into it as time went on.  

He just looks a yard slower, he gasses early and he almost seems a bit heavy.  He looked a lot quicker than I was expecting when he first signed.  But he just looks a bit leggy currently. 

Can see this post being a bit polarising but here goes. I think he's run his course here.

It's easy to say now because of his run, but I've never rated him beyond being an elite level poacher. He's not a striker for a possession-based team.

Isak comes deep and has the nous to do so effectively and becomes a pivot, allowing Longstaff and our wide players to push beyond him. It's this movement that creates spaces in the lines for Guimaraes to play through. Whereas Wilson likes to stretch the defence and stay on the central defender, but he's not great at receiving a ball under pressure and laying it off which is a key part of this approach (see Mitrovic).

We need to sign an understudy to Isak and let Wilson go this summer to where he can be part of a team that plays to his strengths.

1 hour ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Clearly still not back to his best but looked a little more like his usual self last night I thought. Winning freekicks, relieving pressure and being a nuisance. Just going through a barren spell at the moment which I'm sure will pass.

I think it's partly to do with how we are countered by teams as well.

We see teams are more aware of Wilson and Almiron now after both having decent starts to the season, but at the same time that has allowed f.ex Longstaff now to get more chances at goal. If he starts putting away the chances like he did yesterday, I assume teams will start to change their approach to counter his runs into the box which in turn may open up for another player instead.

Being into fashion, having a loud haircut or dancing is a big no-no in football, so this isn't surprising. Football players should be deplatformed so they can't show their character or personality, they should be beige, joyless souls who have no life or interests whatsoever beyond what they do on the pitch. Doing otherwise is always to the detriment of their game.