Callum Wilson: sidelined for up to 12 weeks with pectoral injury (Hope)

Strawberry

I would assume that we probably wouldn't have been able to get a decent replacement with the money that he would've gotten us last summer anyways. Having Isak only all season would obviously be crazy. So, in that case we probably would've had to buy a striker over one of the other players that we bought, but those signings were made for other positions where we were short in numbers. Hall was a loan deal, so I don't think we could've used that money last summer unless it was a loan deal with someone else instead.

Edited by Erikse

56 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Most posts in this thread suggest we should've been ruthless and sold Wilson last summer.. no?

In other threads for other people.... most people are advocating patience.. no?

Others are 31 and injury prone.

Others have just come off the back of a pretty immense 2 years and are in their first little spell. 

We also don't have to sell a manager to help with FFP requirements etc. 

17 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Others are 31 and injury prone.

Others have just come off the back of a pretty immense 2 years and are in their first little spell. 

We also don't have to sell a manager to help with FFP requirements etc. 

Yes, it's all about the prediction of how things will turn out in the longer term - that dictates whether you want to take an action or not. Then reality eventually comes along and supports or demolishes your expectations.

Edited by 80

Wilson is like a group of other players in our squad (Longstaff, Burn, Almiron, Murphy). If after the summer he is ok being downgraded to a squad player then he can still offer a lot.  Wilson is complicated by his injury record, so he would have to accept being 3rd choice and the fact that his wages are likely too high for this role in a team with our revenue.

1 hour ago, Jaqen said:

It hasn't worked out but I'm glad the players who had years of shite and then got us into the champions league had a crack at it. Easy to say Wilson should have been sold but he was coming off the back of a cracking season and was happy to be rotated with Isak which gave us a striker and backup better than the majority in the league too. 

I said exactly this at the end of last season, and at the time it felt right. But those who run the club have to look after the long term interests of the club, not individual players so unpopular decisions will need to be made. Players are absolutely going to look after their own best interests, and the club has to look after NUFC's. That's what people get paid for.