Callum Wilson: sidelined for up to 12 weeks with pectoral injury (Hope)

Strawberry

He hasn't looked quite himself recently, but he strikes me as someone who has "waves" of form. He came back and ended last season strongly (Arsenal home etc.), was miserable in preseason (Miggy was hot), and was then on it as soon as the season started. Since coming back from the WC, he's looked a bit miserable again, possibly a virus type thing.

fwiw, I don't think Wilson should be viewed as a traditional striker with all the usual cliches about "holding it up", "leading the line", or "bringing others into play". Compared to elite (Harry Kane), Wilson doesn't really bring others into play and therefore has no assists to show for it. What Wilson does is darting runs that create space, he reacts well to situations, and is a good little poacher. I wouldn't judge his performances on "number of touches" because his will usually be lower than Chris Wood, who was far less effective.

4 hours ago, huss9 said:

possibly struggling wth post viral fatigue.

Looks like this could be it like.

Also, it’s probably the first time he’s been at NUFC where he’s not had a serious injury for a few months. His body isn’t used to playing this much. A short rest would probably do him good. Time to give Isak a few starts.

He offers very little to our possessional play. Doesn't link up very well or come to collect it deeper, but just offers to run behind. He is effective poacher in the box, but I would say he is one of the reason we are not scoring much. Or his lack of form is a big reason.

6 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

He usually does link up play pretty well IMO. He's just massively out of form and fitness tbh. Hope it's not permanent.

Agree with this! Link up play usually is perfect and he protects the ball well to then making a clever pass that opens the opponents. Last month hes been off it big time

Edited by Killuminati

Just needs to bundle one in or one go in off his arse and he will soon be on it again hopefully. Confidence is a huge thing in football no matter what experience a player has. Just look a how poor Son has been for a while now. He was the Golden Boot winner just last season. 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

First full weeks training since the World Cup according to Eddie.

And we are not worried about bringing another striker in for cover? LOL. On the upside. Better than going backwards and training less. I guess we shall see how his body holds up.

Just now, toontownman said:

And we are not worried about bringing another striker in for cover? LOL. On the upside. Better than going backwards and training less. I guess we shall see how his body holds up.

I don't think we particularly need another striker. When you play with one up top, two strikers and a couple of others capable of playing there is fine.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I don't think we particularly need another striker. When you play with one up top, two strikers and a couple of others capable of playing there is fine.

This. It just plays on the mind with both having decent length spell out injured recently.

4 minutes ago, madras said:

This. It just plays on the mind with both having decent length spell out injured recently.

I wonder if that’s more to do with past managers not treating/managing his injuries correctly, almost every game now he come off at the 60/65 minute mark in the past he would have been left on for the whole game 

29 minutes ago, 54 said:

Gordon was the replacement for Wood wasn't he?

Howe even said in this presser today that he can play primary on the wings but also as a 9 and 10 too.

That is pretty big then. With Joe and ASM potentially cover too we should be fine.

He's carried us enough times in the past for him to be allowed to have a month like the one he had after the world cup, i did think he would've benefited from a rest and Isak from a start yesterday but Howe had other plans which worked and got the job done, interesting to see if he starts on Saturday but he's got my full support and hopefully one goal will help him get his confidence back.

11 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Clearly EH sees things which I don't. However, to my untrained eye, we've been carrying this lad for roughly a month.

Tbf, we played our best football when he was on the pitch in the first half. Not sure the subs improved things much.

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

Tbf, we played our best football when he was on the pitch in the first half. Not sure the subs improved things much.

Yeah that's a fair point, but there are quite a few mitigating factors. Subs can be hit and miss, we changed 3 at the same time which can often disrupt. Primarily, though, the second half was clearly a shut up shop job, Bruno got sent off, Isak got concussed, etc.

CW is still putting himself about but there's no sense of danger there and there hasn't been for weeks. Isak looks really dynamic and threatening by comparison.

Edited by Dr Venkman

10 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Yeah that's a fair point, but there are quite a few mitigating factors. Subs can be hit and miss, we changed 3 at the same time which can often disrupt. Primarily, though, the second half was clearly a shut up shop job, Bruno got sent off, Isak got concussed, etc.

I actually thought Wilson did quite well from the hold up side of his game, he just doesn't look like he's going to find any space these days to actually get a strike on goal.