Callum Wilson: back in full training (Downie)

Strawberry

26 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

His worst game for us imo today. He lives off scraps a lot of the time but his decision making today was wank, he had chances to shoot or pass and always took the wrong option.

Yeah, he’s looked poor recently. Obviously in games against class teams where he struggles to get enough of the ball. 

He’s not fast enough to run away from top defenders, he needs to make an instant decision and execute. 

I love him to bits.

But many games this season he’s getting the ball and running at defenders and he either holds too long and doesn’t play it to a runner or he’s getting the ball caught in his feet and not shooting or passing. 

frustrating as it was multiple times today - Just be intentional and decisive ffs. One or the other. 

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

Not advocating to drop him but think he's in really poor form at the moment

Often seems too concerned with fighting the centre back and his decision making has been poor. Least of our problems though

I agree but his lack of form was big problem today imo. Killed pretty much all of our counter attacks. I liked ASM in his position against Liverpool, so wouldn't mind seeing that again to be totally honest. 

Wilson is a good centre forward choked of service in a shit side.  Still out -scoring the likes of Kane despite this. 

At a functioning club, he’d score 20 per season.  He’d be a decent squad option at a top five or six PL side.  He’s not a wide-man at all.  Needs to be in the box as much as possible, but our bunch of knackers constantly losing possession in midfield force him to drop too deep. 

He was frustrating yesterday and in a few games under Howe, I think he has been.  But as others have alluded to, we don't give him any quality service.  Was it him that nearly scored from the corner?  Feeding off scraps, yet still manages to get the odd half chance a game or nick a goal.  

He is ok back to goal, but is often really isolated.  When he is running at players with the ball, that is when he can be frustrating.  As he seems to want an extra touch or two and often ends up getting eased out of it after a heavy touch or getting closed down after he's dwelled on the ball for too long.  I don't really think that is his game, mind.  Need to see him in behind or getting on the end of crosses.  Not really had the games of late where that has been possible, nor have we had the right players on the pitch to actually provide quality service to him.  

I think against lesser teams.  Shelvey looking for him over the top or down the channel will be important.  As will the service from out wide.  Almiron never looks to get beyond the full back or cross it, for example.  Hopefully Fraser, ASM and even Murphy can start to help out in that regard. 

4 minutes ago, 1964 said:

Looked bad, he said he thought he'd been kicked which sounds like it could be a grade 3 tear, happened to someone I know who said they thought they had been hit with a cricket ball 

Why he went down I said achilles..thankfully it wasnt

3 minutes ago, 1964 said:

Looked bad, he said he thought he'd been kicked which sounds like it could be a grade 3 tear, happened to someone I know who said they thought they had been hit with a cricket ball 

Exactly how I described mine going. I’d be amazed if he’s back this season. 

Was always a risky signing and even riskier not recruiting a deputy/inevitable replacement. By the time this season concludes he'll have spent nearly one full season out of two in the physio room. Useless. 

Feel for the lad, like. Must be awful being constantly injured.