Callum Wilson: sidelined for up to 12 weeks with pectoral injury (Hope)

Strawberry

Awful news but the timing isn’t as bad as it could have been.

Might be harsh but if he’s going to miss the majority of the second half of the season, he’s basically using up a squad place. Can we sign players and not name him in the squad after the window shuts?

We need to be ruthless when it comes to getting out of the relegation places.

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

His fitness record has been fine with us. This is just one of those things unfortunately. 

We have to get a capable striker in January now. If we don’t we are down. 

How can it be fine if he's been out for the total of a season?  That's a terrible fitness record.

7 minutes ago, kisearch said:

Hopefully a bit of a blessing in disguise that it's happened now because not signing a back up in January would have been suicidal.

I was thinking the same - imagine if this had happened on 1st Feb.

Wish him all the best, hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds and he can make a cameo before the end of the season. An excellent player, and seems to have a great attitude.

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Ok, Craig, just repeat after me.  ASM will be out for at least two weeks, Hayden and Manquillo have both broken their pelvises and Gillespie, Dubravka, Darlow and the entire U23 side have covid.  All are expected to make a full recovery in time for Cambridge but will absolutely not be available for Southampton.

I suppose it's good news in the sense that we will probably still have to buy a replacement, and he might be available to help out from March onwards without rushing him back.

Definitely rather have him in the squad for the run in.

(As well as it being good news for him, of course.)