Callum Wilson: back in full training (Downie)

Strawberry

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He’ll be back by Everton!

Away…

So likely to be out injured

Again.

On 01/02/2022 at 11:32, Mahoneys Tache said:

I live in Coventry and the word is that his hamstrings are knacked. He’s a great player and a good lad - refused Villa because he’s a Coventry city supporter but he’s always going to miss chunks of the season. A bit like Van Persie’s annual winter three month lay off. 

Yeah he needs replacing in the Summer. Can’t keep relying on a player who is guaranteed to miss at least a third of any season. Shame as he’s probably a 15+ striker if he was playing the full season.

Edited by et tu brute

7 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Yeah he needs replacing in the Summer. Can’t keep relying on a player who is guaranteed to miss at least a third of any season. Shame as he’s probably a 15+ striker if he was playing the full season.

The injury/need to play him reminds me a bit of Bellamy. It's hard to let a player like that go when we've got no-one better right now. When we get Haaland in the summer all will be good though :lol:

4 hours ago, HawK said:

The injury/need to play him reminds me a bit of Bellamy. It's hard to let a player like that go when we've got no-one better right now. When we get Haaland in the summer all will be good though :lol:

Don’t think he needs replacing. Think we need more up front so he’s got the chance to rest. 

All the folks on Facebook reckoning he'd get 20+ this season, no chance when you know he's guaranteed to miss 10+ games.

One of the best strikers we've had in recent times, but only getting into double figures in the PL twice in his career says enough.

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

Really like Wilson, but he definitely needs replacing in the summer. Just don't get enough games out of him.

Replace period, or upgrade? I’d rather keep him as a back-up myself, he’s still quality when fit and is a good character. Him and Wood from the bench understudy to one truly top-class CF or if we are greedy, 2, would be real strength in depth we’ve lacked for 14 years or so up front!

One of the reasons why I thought a striker was the most important signing this window. We did get one, but he's not really a like for like replacement. We need Wilson back for the last dozen or so games.

I would definitely keep him as a backup striker as he’s provided a pretty decent return considering some of the players supplying him with chances. Perhaps more selective game time might increase his longevity and actually make him more effective. 

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

One of the reasons why I thought a striker was the most important signing this window. We did get one, but he's not really a like for like replacement. We need Wilson back for the last dozen or so games.

I just hope not adding another over Wood won’t backfire on us…

Guest reefatoon
36 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Replace period, or upgrade? I’d rather keep him as a back-up myself, he’s still quality when fit and is a good character. Him and Wood from the bench understudy to one truly top-class CF or if we are greedy, 2, would be real strength in depth we’ve lacked for 14 years or so up front!

Replace in the starting line up. We need a striker we can get game time out of. Wilson would be a good player to bring on, but I can't see him being to happy with that role.

37 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I just hope not adding another over Wood won’t backfire on us…

It seems like they tried to hedge their bets by going for Ekitike or Lingard which on top of Wood would have been a decent insurance policy. But with the failure to get either, now the Wood signing looks less smart as a result. We'd probably have been better off going all in on an out and out striker with a bit of pace and power like Zapata.

That said, I think signing a decent striker is pretty much impossible in January. Even Wood only came because we activated the release clause.