Newcastle United 0 - 3 Brighton - 20/09/20 - Post-match reaction from page 25

BlueStar

The thing is though, what's the point?  We wont win anything, we wont qualify for Europe and we probably wont go down, although Nruce will try his best.  So again what's the point?  I watched the game and I'm only watching it for something to do.  There is no real buyin from me anymore.  Sad but to be honest I'm like the players.... .given up

I don’t get this ‘We won’t go down argument’.

We were tidy against a West Ham side who I fully expect to be fighting relegation. We were by no means excellent, just tidy. We were played off the park today by a Brighton side who may not go down, but won’t be too far up from the relegation spots.

Everyone else seems to have improved a bit better than us. Leeds will massively leap frog us. Everton have made sound improvements, and even though they ended up getting halted today, Southampton were the better team and on paper look set for a more steady season this season than their last few.

I’m not convinced that we won’t go down. Our last 2 relegation teams had talent that were far better than what we have now. Ultimately I think successive poor results got us stuck into bad runs which resulted in us going down. Right now we don’t have a particular good set of fixtures in the league coming up, and we can easily get back into one of those runs where it gets too much. Unlike when we started badly with Rafa, we don’t have a manager like Rafa to turn it around, we have Bruce, much like when we had McClaren, and JFK in our previous relegations.

It looked like football from the 80’s today, these players aren’t shit but they are being coached into oblivion.

I thought we looked ok against West Ham , but only ok, it masked a performance most were going over the top about , stupidly I had optimism mainly through the new lads but as soon as Bruce gets into them they turn to dog shit .

That today was the worst display I’ve seen by a PL manager for some time, that was solely on Bruce today but the players had no leader, no idea how to change it , fucking pathetic, no other words for it.

Absolute garbage today.

I’m glad Mike Ashley is watching in person. Like man for man we should be competing with these but we’re a million miles off them in tactics and organisation.

Clearly a management/coaching issue.

If we pick up enough points to survive this season it will be only because there are 3 or 4 teams worse than us.

Like fat chops would even see it ffs. He's employed Pardew, then let Carver have a go, then Island Head and finally Bruce is stinking it up. You really think Ashley will see the error of all that now ?

He had a top manager and forced him out.

Exactly, and that manager approached us, Ashley and Charnley wouldn't know a decent manager if he/she fell on them.

Tut tut.

That was fucking vile. Bruce is fucking useless and not good enough to change things when a game goes against him, whereas we had that with Benitez. Outclassed at SJP but Brighton man, ffs. Grim. Hope Lewis is okay, mind, fucking nasty that and a deserved red for that cunt.

If that penalty was given against any other team except us, everyone would argue the player got the ball.

Not picking on Stifler (much), but I do wish the whole "getting the ball before the player = no foul" misconception would finally fucking die. It's simply not in the Laws of the Game.

Determining whether a foul occurred or not is all about evaluating whether the contact between the players is one of the types of contact the Laws prohibit and, if so, whether it was done in a manner that was "careless" (in which case it's a foul), "reckless" (foul and a yellow card) or using "excessive force" (foul and a red card). See Law 12

As a ref (mostly youth, but up to U19), parents, coaches and players baying "but he got the ball" while another kid is left writhing on the ground due to ham-handed way the tackle was done, is one of the most frustrating things we have to deal with.

Very few people in football know the rules... including fans, managers, players and pundits. It's bizarre really.

I guess it’s not helped by the fact that we can watch multiple incidents be interpreted differently by referee’s the same referee’s, even the same indictments in the same game according to the team in question etc.

Every rule they have brought in for the Premier League has had a different interpretation in regards to you being a big or small club in the league.

It’s often said that football actually has very few rules, and everything else is open to interpretation. It’s about time we got rid of that. It leaves it open to abuse by officials and leaves it open to being backed up by managers with a certain mind, and pundits with a certain agenda.

If that penalty was given against any other team except us, everyone would argue the player got the ball.

Not picking on Stifler (much), but I do wish the whole "getting the ball before the player = no foul" misconception would finally fucking die. It's simply not in the Laws of the Game.

Determining whether a foul occurred or not is all about evaluating whether the contact between the players is one of the types of contact the Laws prohibit and, if so, whether it was done in a manner that was "careless" (in which case it's a foul), "reckless" (foul and a yellow card) or using "excessive force" (foul and a red card). See Law 12

As a ref (mostly youth, but up to U19), parents, coaches and players baying "but he got the ball" while another kid is left writhing on the ground due to ham-handed way the tackle was done, is one of the most frustrating things we have to deal with.

A reasonable point but at that level if he’d got the ball first it wasn’t a pen. He hardly recklessly challenged him.

Unfortunately he didn’t get the ball first soooo

I honestly think it has to work both ways.

If you make a tackle, get the ball and end up catching the player in the follow through then it should be allowed.

If you make a tackle but with excessive force/using studs and get the ball, or make the tackle and get the players in a follow through with either a scissor kick follow through, or follow through with a high or force or studs showing foot, then it should be a foul.

On the flip side. So many times we see no fouls where the excuse of ‘intent’ has been used for giving a penalty or in less circumstances, a freekick. So many players throw themselves to the ground and instead of them being penalised for a dive, the referee acknowledges that there hasn’t been enough contact but there was an intent. You pull your leg out to avoid giving away a foul and they still do you for intent.

A big problem is the rules fit into place where they largely benefit the bigger teams in terms of interpretation.

Ashley didn't look very impressed with what he was seeing.  He must think 'I'm paying all these SD employees the minimum wage and zero hours contracts etc., and they work their bollocks off. And here I am watching this overpaid shower of shit'

Ashley didn't look very impressed with what he was seeing.  He must think 'I'm paying all these SD employees the minimum wage and zero hours contracts etc., and they work their bollocks off. And here I am watching this overpaid shower of shit'

As if he thinks they work their bollocks off. Fucking parasites the lot of em.

Ashley didn't look very impressed with what he was seeing.  He must think 'I'm paying all these SD employees the minimum wage and zero hours contracts etc., and they work their bollocks off. And here I am watching this overpaid shower of s***'

As if he thinks they work their bollocks off. f***ing parasites the lot of em.

Spent much time in SD and his warehouses recently have you?

Ashley didn't look very impressed with what he was seeing.  He must think 'I'm paying all these SD employees the minimum wage and zero hours contracts etc., and they work their bollocks off. And here I am watching this overpaid shower of s***'

Far be it from me to charitably interpret a stan post but I think he was aping ashley's own internal monologue about his employees there.

Far be it from me to charitably interpret a stan post but I think he was aping ashley's own internal monologue about his employees there.

Speaking the truth is a charitable act these days?