Football governance

Nobody

Boy the CL final sure brings in a lot of money. What if we had an international league of "big clubs" where we could bill every game as a CL final? I'm sure none of the importance, novelty and spectacle would wear off in under a month and we'd be megarich!

1 minute ago, thomas said:

Boy the CL final sure brings in a lot of money. What if we had an international league of "big clubs" where we could bill every game as a CL final? I'm sure none of the importance, novelty and spectacle would wear off in under a month and we'd be megarich!

Small part of me hopes they go ahead with it tbh, call their bluff and let them see how little appetite there is for it. 

Edited by TheHoob

1 minute ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Would be amazing if they actually deducted points off the teams who signed up to it.

Arsenal would potentially be relegated depending on how severe the deduction was. [emoji38]

I'd watch the crap out of a CL season without any of the usual suspects vying for it. Although it sounds like if Germany and France weren't involved it'll just be Bayern, Borussia and PSG.

Just now, TheHoob said:

Part of me hopes they go ahead with it tbh, call their bluff and let them see how little appetite there is for it. 

Same. Dream scenario for me is they break out and form their own league, get thrown out of all other competitions, super leage fails miserably and eventually gets disbanded. All teams that particiapted has to start at lowest tier in their respective countries.

However the super league will take a fair chunk of sponsorship/viewership from Premier League which results in all clubs having to cut wages, broadcasters has to lower their subscription fees to retain viewers which results in even more wage cuts having to be made to keep the top clubs alive.

Kind of like a soft reset.

I know it's naive. The super league will probably be a huge success because consumers will never act on their collective power to make the world a better place.

2 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Would be amazing if they actually deducted points off the teams who signed up to it.

Arsenal would potentially be relegated depending on how severe the deduction was. [emoji38]

Should just kick them out now, null and void result against them. The FA Cup semi-final that is about kick off should be the final. Tell them to comeback and talk about it in the summer when the rest of the footballing world has calmed down and they have realised that it’s a bad idea and their bluff has been called out.

1 minute ago, Beren said:

I'd watch the crap out of a CL season without any of the usual suspects vying for it. Although it sounds like if Germany and France weren't involved it'll just be Bayern, Borussia and PSG.

Me too, would be absolutely class to see completely different dynamic to the competition.

Especially, if it means teams like Atalanta can progress further.

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Who would actually want to watch? Does the Chinese TV audience (or whatever) deliver enough money to replace all the existing fans? 

Matchday revenue makes up quite a low amount of revenue for the top clubs. Even less if this came off probably

Just now, triggs said:

Matchday revenue makes up quite a low amount of revenue for the top clubs. Even less if this came off probably

But even on TV. I’m not buying Sky to watch it, presumably vast amounts of other fans would be the same. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

But even on TV. I’m not buying Sky to watch it, presumably vast amounts of other fans would be the same. 

If they were smart they'd force it to get bundled in with some "football/sport package" you won't opt out of and it'd be another £5/mo upcharge. Then they'd relentlessly murder you with ads for it and get enough people watching to trumpet it as a success.

Edited by thomas

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

They're thinking of the worldwide market. What would the average American want to watch, Man City vs Burnley or Man City vs Real Madrid?

Again, I'm not for it but I've probably watched 10 Premier League games this season, most of which involved Newcastle yet I watch most CL knockout games

Edited by triggs

4 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Me too, would be absolutely class to see completely different dynamic to the competition.

Especially, if it means teams like Atalanta can progress further.

And NUFC once they approve the takeover to spite them. Ahem.