Football governance

Nobody

Just now, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

The two are linked though, no? Increased competition from "smaller" teams diluting the returns available from the "bigger" teams. Kill the competition guarantee revenue. Cant have Liverpool not making the CL and not getting paid. If only people gave them the resect they deserved. 

Yes it’s linked. But I don’t see that is the actual reason. It’s a pure money/control play as you say. 

They don’t want to share money with the teams they deem lesser and they want to control the distribution of the money. Covid gives them the excuse to try this as they can sell it through the back channels as a bailout. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The 15 of them can fuck off, like. UEFA tried bending over backwards for them but it wasn’t far enough.

The Premier League ‘big 6’ wanted to filter money down the leagues but in return expected the League Cup to become extinct and the Premier League to go from 20 to 18 clubs. Just go away the lot of them.

If Uefa dont punish them by giving them a worse CL deal than they're currently being offered I'll be fucking livid. They absolutely cannot come out winners in any scenario after this. Go ahead with it and all the suggested sanctions have to go ahead. Including national team bans. If they bail on it, restructure their CL deals and take them to fucking take it or leave it and fuck off. 

One major analysis mistake I think these guys owners are making is thinking they are bigger than the game itself.

Yes we all know Real Madrid and Man Utd have a huge history, but nowadays I'd be trilled to see Benfica x NUFC in a UCL match.

They (some of them) have a huge history yes, but they can disappear from existence for all I care. Specially being the artificial product they are nowadays.

Edited by jotenko

Going to be galling as fuck when we still set our ambitions to finish 17th in new world order, and watch Norwich and West Brom win domestic honours before we do.

Fucking Ashley. :lol:

3 minutes ago, ElDiablo said:

Imagine for example being the Liverpool owner and just shitting all over the Champions league and all it represents to the club, and thinking it was a good idea. Really quite staggering. :lol:

Real Madrid are completely defined by the CL and Perez is driving this. Their fans must be fuming

1 minute ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

If Uefa dont punish them by giving them a worse CL deal than they're currently being offered I'll be fucking livid. They absolutely cannot come out winners in any scenario after this. Go ahead with it and all the suggested sanctions have to go ahead. Including national team bans. If they bail on it, restructure their CL deals and take them to fucking take it or leave it and fuck off. 

Yeah, I really hope they play hard. I really think the national team ban could fuck them a lot and keep players out of it. Would love to see strong action from their fan groups too - shit atmospheres and half empty stadiums.

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Yes it’s linked. But I don’t see that is the actual reason. It’s a pure money/control play as you say. 

They don’t want to share money with the teams they deem lesser and they want to control the distribution of the money. Covid gives them the excuse to try this as they can sell it through the back channels as a bailout. 

Aye I think covid has definitely accelerated this and given them the confidence to be as ballsy as they have. I bet there are execs at streaming companies absolutely bashing their tiny cocks in to oblivion at the projections of income from exclusive leagues they've fucking graphed. Insipid cunts.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

I feel like the Premier League doing everything it possibly can to keep its most valuable assets will ensure that this definitely isn't the end of football as we know it. The ESL clubs want to continue competing in their domestic leagues, and the domestic leagues want to keep the ESL clubs. The aspect in this with the most flexibility and/or the weakest foundations is the ESL itself. 

1 minute ago, alexf said:

Can't decide if this is just a massive elaborate threat to call uefas bluff or if this genuinely is like the death of football as we knew it. 

Stand by my initial feelings though of kicking them out and letting the rest of us fight it out. Would feel like the championship at first. But eventually it would rebuild and could actual be the reset button that football always needed by leveling the playing field. 

Depends entirely on the reaction of Fifa, UEFA and the leagues/FA's. If they truly stamp down on this, eject them, don't let the players play internationally and stick to it that will send a message to any other clubs. The footballing world and many European clubs will be waiting to see what happens next before they decide whether to stick or start chumming up to Super League teams with overtures to jumping down the line. 

If they stamp down on it as mentioned those 14 clubs will go nowhere except crawling back when the interest in the league dies more than it has already. Nothing but a huge statement will do. If they let his happen and allow them to still continue in leagues or players nationally then European football, if not the world is completely fucked forever. Other parts of the world will start doing the same until the World Super League is created too. 

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Uefa will be terrified. Some has to take a hair cut right? I guess the logical targets will be domestic cup competitions. Especially if these minted clubs can make some contributions to everyone else to buy them off. 

the only thing I can reasonably sure of is, everyone will get a bit more money and the fans will be left holding the bag. 

3 minutes ago, jotenko said:

One major analysis mistake I think these guys owners are making is thinking they are bigger than the game itself.

Yes we all know Real Madrid and Man Utd have a huge history, but nowadays I'd be trilled to see Benfica x NUFC in a UCL match.

They (some of them) have a huge history yes, but they can disappear from existence for all I care. Specially being the artificial product they are nowadays.

No one considered some of these teams to be the best in the country let alone Europe not that long ago. Teams come and go, rise and fall that is the beauty of football. This is cheating death at the expense of the rest of the world. 

1 minute ago, TwoForJoy said:

It'll be interesting to see the PFA take on this an whether the clubs have broken terms in players contracts.

The big clubs have been planning this for years, it wouldn't surprise me if clauses related to the Champions League are worded in some vague "Top European Competition" sort of way that will just mean that they still apply to this new monstrosity. 

Just now, TwoForJoy said:

It'll be interesting to see the PFA take on this an whether the clubs have broken terms in players contracts.

Everyone is so quiet on this so far other than pundits. I expect clubs will start making statement too like Project Big Picture. 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I feel like the Premier League doing everything it possibly can to keep its most valuable assets will ensure that this definitely isn't the end of football as we know it. The ESL clubs want to continue competing in their domestic leagues, and the domestic leagues want to keep the ESL clubs. The aspect in this with the most flexibility and/or the weakest foundations is the ESL itself. 

But the PL will be devalued in both scenarios. If the "Super League" goes ahead it will be the club's priority, significantly reducing the prestige of the PL and by consequence the value of the TV rights.

If the PL kick them out, it will reduce the prestige of the PL and by consequence the value of the TV rights, but at least you maintain the sporting integrity.

No brainer.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Uefa will be terrified. Some has to take a hair cut right? I guess the logical targets will be domestic cup competitions. Especially if these minted clubs can make some contributions to everyone else to buy them off. 

the only thing I can reasonably sure of is, everyone will get a bit more money and the fans will be left holding the bag. 

This is what I kind of dont understand. I mean yeah, I agree Eufa will be terrified, but this whole "these n clubs drive the most revenue" argument is horseshit, surely? Or is that just me? Fuck them off a year later there's other clubs taking their place battling for the same prize to the same audience. Maybe I'm naive. But I think ultimately fans watch football and especially the bigger competitions regardless. Because they enjoy the competition. Some of the best games are just random teams. Fuck Im a Newcastle fan and I watch it. I bet Man United fans watch it despite their club not being good enough to be in it. Is it the foreign fans who tend to align to bigger clubs they fear they'll lose the revenue of? Like even they're not going to continue watching or jjust change club? They dont really give a fuck.

This whole chasing the audience thing fucking infuriates me.

2 minutes ago, Rosenrot said:

But the PL will be devalued in both scenarios. If the "Super League" goes ahead it will be the club's priority, significantly reducing the prestige of the PL and by consequence the value of the TV rights.

If the PL kick them out, it will reduce the prestige of the PL and by consequence the value of the TV rights, but at least you maintain the sporting integrity.

No brainer.

That's true, but I don't think either of those scenarios will happen. I don't think the ESL will come to pass; In England there might be some relenting on the Project Big Picture idea as a compromise, for instance. Whatever happens, things will be worse for sure - the PL has created a family of monsters that are now overrunning them - but I think the 2023/24 English season will kick off with each of those teams still in the PL. 

12 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The ‘big 6’ have already made up the vast majority of the top 6 finishes over the last 20 odd years, all this does is destroys any future chances of Leicester ever upsetting the applecart again because Spurs & Arsenal will now have even more funds to hoover up the talent. Finishing top 6 when this gets up and running is going to be as big an achievement as winning the league 30 odd years ago was.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Just now, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

This is what I kind of dont understand. I mean yeah, I agree Eufa will be terrified, but this whole "these n clubs drive the most revenue" argument is horseshit, surely? Or is that just me? Fuck them off a year later there's other clubs taking their place battling for the same prize to the same audience. Maybe I'm naive. But I think ultimately fans watch football and especially the bigger competitions regardless. Because they enjoy the competition. Some of the best games are just random teams. Fuck Im a Newcastle fan and I watch it. I bet Man United fans watch it despite their club not being good enough to be in it. Is it the foreign fans who tend to align to bigger clubs they fear they'll lose the revenue of? Like even they're not going to continue watching or jjust change club? They dont really give a fuck.

This whole chasing the audience thing fucking infuriates me.

I think, your looking at it from the purists perspective. 

Ultimately, the shitheads generate the most revenue and attract the most sponsors and likely the largest viewing figures. In terms of future growth the game (commercially) can’t really grow much more in Europe and these clubs are looking towards other markets especially Asia and the Middle East. 

Amen @Super Duper Branko Strupar

Clubs come and go. This will take a huge time to settle if there is a hard split, which I am pretty sure their wont be, but it would work out better for the National Leagues and clubs than this SuperLeague. If they stick to the national team embargo for players and exile from home leagues it will just be a glorified MLS graveyard league for aging players wanting money and wanting to sustain themselves by not playing international football. It won't last how they want it to.