Football governance

Nobody

3 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

All they've done is looked at the Deloitte Football Money League and taken the top teams from that.

Aye, the top 15 are these 12 and Bayern, PSG and Dortmund who have rejected it. There's literally nothing more to it

• "UEFA is a monopoly but it needs to be more transparent. We want to save football for the next 20 years, it is in a time of serious danger. If you win, you receive €120 to € 130m from UEFA but with #SuperLeague we will earn much more".

Perez really needs a PR person.

So, a very well connected dude I know has been told the ESL lot have a big media platform behind them (he thinks Amazon, doesn't know for sure) that wants to have high level sports globally and this is the way to secure them - since CL rights are sold piecemeal for each country.

Edited by Village Idiot

According to a graph on the BBC, Madrid's revenue has gone from around 700m to around 600m during covid. With similar relative drops for other clubs. That shouldn't cause an existential threat to your business, surely?

Seems like football clubs are just really badly managed, and overspend for no good reason other than the culture they themselves have established. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

5 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

ikr?

Indeed. I know it's almost a secondary battle at the moment given we're on the brink of 'the end of football as we know it', but there really needs to be more scrutiny than ever on the regulators and associations that have let this happen. Launching anger and hatred at the financiers and schemers who have come up with this is like us unloading all of our anger at Steve Bruce. They warrant the hatred, certainly, but ultimately it's the powers that be who are to blame for us being in this position.

When this inevitably sorts itself out, which I believe it will, their needs to be more pressure then ever on the way football has been allowed to become dictated by investors who care nothing for the game itself. This is the proof of how the power has totally shifted. Chickens coming home to roost, big time. 

I don't think they realise that a glorified exhibition league is not particularly appealing. 

Even in the US the franchise format only works due to the draft which you would t have here. 

Its not like it's a appealing concept and I'm opposed on moral grounds, it's a fundamentally shit concept.

Obviously I am also opposed on moral grounds.

Edited by GeordieDazzler

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

According to a graph on the BBC, Madrid's revenue has gone from around 700m to around 600m during covid. With similar relative drops for other clubs. That shouldn't cause an existential threat to your business, surely?

Seems like football clubs are just really badly managed, and overspend for no good reason other than the culture they themselves have established. 

its an existential threat when your up to your gills in debt and decided to start a renovation project on your stadium when theres no guarantee when fans can return and at what capacity in the next few years 

2 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

I don't think they realise that a glorified exhibition league is not particularly appealing. 

Even in the US the franchise format only works due to the draft which you would t have here. 

Its not like it's a appealing concept and I'm opposed on moral grounds, it's a fundamentally shit concept.

honestly one of the things I don't get and maybe the amercians on here can explain it to me what the fuck is the appeal of the regular season in nfl etc 

Just now, jdckelly said:

its an existential threat when your up to your gills in debt and decided to start a renovation project on your stadium when theres no guarantee when fans can return and at what capacity in the next few years 

Havnt real madrid always had massive debt problems?

Im sure its been mentioned on here a few times about them being bailed out by local authorities

2 minutes ago, jdckelly said:

honestly one of the things I don't get and maybe the amercians on here can explain it to me what the fuck is the appeal of the regular season in nfl etc 

To see who qualifies for the playoffs? The league is more equal so it's not just the same teams every year

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Napoli have asked to join according to Corrier dello Sport.

Wouldn't surprise me. De Laurentiis absolutely despises the FIGC. To be honest the level of distrust and dislike the Italian clubs have of their own sporting authorities (justified, tbf) I'd be surprised if more of the clubs haven't tried to break ranks as a fuck you. 

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Napoli have asked to join according to Corrier dello Sport.

From a PR perspective, the Super League should quickly accept them to build momentum in the other direction.

Who holds the player registrations by the way?

Is it the FA? Premier league?

Can they refuse to release them so the players cant be registered elsewhere?

Edited by Lazarus

7 minutes ago, triggs said:

To see who qualifies for the playoffs? The league is more equal so it's not just the same teams every year

Also, the salary cap. They have a hard salary cap in the NFL. Anybody can win the league. It's an actual meritocracy.

Baseball on the other hand is massively fucked up. About 20 years back they passed an incredible barrier where a single player for the Yankees was earning more per year than all the players at an entire club.

Edited by gazza ladra

3 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Also, the salary cap. They have a hard salary cap in the NFL. Anybody can win the league. It's an actual meritocracy.

but also has a system in place where owners can cheerfully underfund the team and bank the cash without fear of any punishment in the form of relegation, hell the worse they do the better the draft pick so they are incentivised to do so! 

1 minute ago, jdckelly said:

but also has a system in place where owners can cheerfully underfund the team and bank the cash without fear of any punishment in the form of relegation, hell the worse they do the better the draft pick so they are incentivised to do so! 

Agreed. I am an American and I love the pyramid (promotion and relegation).  Our sports culture would be much richer if we had it.