Football governance

Nobody

Just now, BlufPurdi said:

Should add that nothing concrete on the Amazon/Disney suggestion. It was a comment made on Sky News earlier, and have seen nothing real but suggestion was they'll be all over it for the streaming rights. There's also some dodgy Russian company involved which I cannot remember the name of. 

DAZN

Just now, BlufPurdi said:

Should add that nothing concrete on the Amazon/Disney suggestion. It was a comment made on Sky News earlier, and have seen nothing real but suggestion was they'll be all over it for the streaming rights. There's also some dodgy Russian company involved which I cannot remember the name of. 

DAZN?

6 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

Head of legal at the Norwegian FA said he believes that the big clubs have gambled on the national FA's and UEFA not having the balls to expel them and thus strong arming it through, as he says UEFA and national FAs are within their rights to expel them, and he'd expect UEFA to throw them out of the European competitions. 

What has become apparent to me today is that some of these big clubs are in big financial trouble after Covid and the uncertainty surrounding who is going to make the CL next season. West Ham and Leicester could easily push Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs out. Someone on the radio mentioned that one English club is £1 billion in debt. There's a touch of desperation about this, and it may well be more of a gamble than a well-thought out, legally-watertight plan. 

FIFA have been quiet, and I wonder if they're hoping that they will be on board. If you remember a few months ago, the tactic these clubs used was to try and bribe the clubs in the lower divisions to break ranks with the other Premiership clubs. FIFA can be corrupted, and if they offer to support the game in other countries in return for FIFA's support, they may be hopeful of getting some outcome. 

As others have noted in this thread, this is the first football news that's interested me in ages.

Aside from the general shamefulness of the endeavor, the Super League clubs are playing with fire here in terms of viability of the product.

It's a very delicate combination of factors - storylines, traditions, atmosphere etc. - that makes sporting events feel meaningful. So it's generally a bad idea to mess with a formula that's working to this extent.

Take these "big six" clubs out of their natural habitat, into a strange artificial league, bereft of their traditional rivalries and storylines, fraying their connection with their own fans... I have a feeling it will all feel quite fake.

Ultimately, we may end up with a Super League that feels fake and a Premier League that feels diluted. The big clubs kill their own golden goose because they want more eggs, and everyone loses.

Edited by oldtype

1 minute ago, CalmintheChaos said:

Also even if it did go ahead with UEFA been so against it then surely they would keep the champions league going still? So there would be more chances for the other 14 teams to qualify for the CL as the 6 would be banned from it. There would still be a league champion and relegation. Also no matter how much money clubs made from the super league they would still be bound by financial fair play as they are now. 

You’re not getting this are you?

Just now, nufcjb said:

What's the point in this match if Liverpool are going to fuck off to their new league in August? Why are they even trying to get a Champions League place still? 

In case it doesn’t happen?  Basically the Premier League giving them an out.

They should have been disqualified from this game.

5 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

You’re not getting this are you?

Not really no :lol:

I just think if them 6 teams want to leave them good riddance to them and we will be a lot better off without them and their oil money and plastic fans.

Edited by CalmintheChaos

2 minutes ago, CalmintheChaos said:

Not really no :lol:

I just think if them 6 teams want to leave them good riddance to them and we will be a lot better off without them and their oil money and plastic fans.

Aye, but they can't stay in the Premier League. They can't have their cake and eat it.

Must be a sickener if you're a teenage kid following a team on the up, a Leicester, Leeds or a Norwich, all bright eyed and full of hope for what the future might bring and then this shitshow comes down and dismantles the entire sport.  Thats why I'm glad to be a 40 year old Newcastle fan, long dead inside already. 

8 minutes ago, oldtype said:

As others have noted in this thread, this is the first football news that's interested me in ages.

Aside from the general shamefulness of the endeavor, the Super League clubs are playing with fire here in terms of viability of the product.

It's a very delicate combination of factors - storylines, traditions, atmosphere etc. - that makes sporting events feel meaningful. So it's generally a bad idea to mess with a formula that's working to this extent.

Take these "big six" clubs out of their natural habitat, into a strange artificial league, bereft of their traditional rivalries and storylines, fraying their connection with their own fans... I have a feeling it will all feel quite fake.

Ultimately, we may end up with a Super League that feels fake and a Premier League that feels diluted. Everyone loses.

It would absolutely feel artificial. The intensity wouldn’t be there. But will the kids in China and India mind?

34 minutes ago, Candi_Hills said:

It would absolutely feel artificial. The intensity wouldn’t be there. But will the kids in China and India mind?

This is precisely the misconception that will have led to the creation of the Super league, and precisely why it might fail.

International fans are attracted to European clubs because they have the one thing their local clubs can never have: a history of storylines accumulated over the course of a century.

When I still cared about NUFC, I would obsess over the Derby and laugh at RTG threads on here just like everyone else. Asian Liverpool fans go nuts over the Merseyside Derby even though the vast majority have never been to Liverpool (or probably even met a real life Everton fan.)

Strip that away and there's nothing to separate Premier League clubs from Saudi or Chinese clubs who have the financial backing to put a famous name on the back of the shirt; it's just that nobody gives a crap about the name on the front.

Why devalue the biggest competitive advantage that Man U, Liverpool etc. enjoy over their global competitors by stripping away their natural habitat, weakening the connection with the local community, and dropping them into a totally fake league whose trophy may not feel much more meaningful than the AFC Champions League trophy, for all we know?