Football governance

Nobody

Boris Johnson has written an article on the Sun's website saying he'll do everything he can to stop the proposals "in its current form".

Headline: "BORIS JOHNSON I will do everything I can to give the ludicrous European Super League a straight red"

Edited by Rosenrot

Completely proves and shows why our jackpot winning lottery takeover was stopped last summer too. Some of the “top 6” in serious debt and ones who miss out on CL are fucked so that why they trying to get out to this new super money league. Corruption and greed has destroyed the game and it’s been coming for years tbf

2 minutes ago, oldtype said:

This is precisely the misconception that will have led to the creation of the Super league, and precisely why it might fail.

International fans are attracted to European clubs because they have the one thing their local clubs can never have: a history of storylines accumulated over the course of a century.

When I still cared about NUFC, I would obsess over the Derby and laugh at RTG threads on here just like everyone else. Asian Liverpool fans go nuts over the Merseyside Derby even though the vast majority have never been to Liverpool (or probably even met a real life Everton fan.)

Strip that away and there's nothing to separate Premier League clubs from Saudi or Chinese clubs who have the financial backing to put a famous name on the back of the shirt; it's just that nobody gives a crap about the name on the front.

Why devalue the biggest competitive advantage that Man U, Liverpool etc. enjoy over their global competitors by stripping away their natural habitat, weakening the connection with the local community, and dropping them into a totally fake league whose trophy may not feel much more meaningful than the AFC Champions League trophy, for all we know?

I've read that the fanbases of the 'Founding Clubs' are a lot more split internationally with a lot of international fans not really getting what the fuss/opposition is about. (I don't have a source for this so could be bollocks but read somewhere about fan polls being split). The international fans that are on here, such as yourself, are in opposition but yous are all on this forum because you've taken a deeper interest in the club, and you share this forum with geordies - I imagine it might be a bit different with most international fans who'll pay to watch it on the telly but don't invest in the way yous have?

Just now, Inferior Acuña said:

I've read that the fanbases of the 'Founding Clubs' are a lot more split internationally with a lot of international fans not really getting what the fuss/opposition is about. (I don't have a source for this so could be bollocks but read somewhere about fan polls being split). The international fans that are on here, such as yourself, are in opposition but yous are all on this forum because you've taken a deeper interest in the club, and you share this forum with geordies - I imagine it might be a bit different with most international fans who'll pay to watch it on the telly but don't invest in the way yous have?

Won't deny that I used to be a good deal more obsessed than others :lol: but even for the relatively "casual" section of international fans the history is a huge draw. People want to be able to talk about legends, and rivalries, and famous games and all of that loses a good deal of meaning when everyone is starting from nothing in a Super League. I think even people who say that they like the idea now will have a change of heart once they see the actual product.

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

FIFPRO (world players union) spoke out early to say it will "vigorously oppose" any moves to bar players playing international football. 

Kernts. 

The FA could just make sure that the England manager never picks ESL players. They'd have the full support of the country.

8 minutes ago, oldtype said:

Why devalue the biggest competitive advantage that Man U, Liverpool etc. enjoy over their global competitors by stripping away their natural habitat, weakening the connection with the local community, and dropping them into a totally fake league whose trophy may not feel much more meaningful than the AFC Champions League trophy, for all we know?

Because its not about the clubs its about the owners ... 

The Glazers have already taken approx £1 billion ( so im told ) out of Man U Plc . Thats all its about £££££££££

7 minutes ago, toontownman said:

FIFPRO (world players union) spoke out early to say it will "vigorously oppose" any moves to bar players playing international football. 

Kernts. 

That's fair enough IMO. They've had no say in it whatsoever and are under contracts which they signed before this was announced

Just now, triggs said:

That's fair enough IMO. They've had no say in it whatsoever and are under contracts which they signed before this was announced

They can leave those clubs by way of a transfer if they feel aggrieved.

8 minutes ago, oldtype said:

Won't deny that I used to be a good deal more obsessed than others :lol: but even for the relatively "casual" section of international fans the history is a huge draw. People want to be able to talk about legends, and rivalries, and famous games and all of that loses a good deal of meaning when everyone is starting from nothing in a Super League. I think even people who say that they like the idea now will have a change of heart once they see the actual product.

That history will still exist. Just like the history before the PL still exists [if rarely mentioned].

9 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Kernts. 

Not much they can do though surely, if FIFA says they are banned from selection then they won't get picked. The risk would be disqualification for their own country I would think.