Football governance

Nobody

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

No one is saying that it wouldn’t be tough. However it would be a good chance to reset. Right now every few years the smaller clubs have to give up more and more for the top clubs which makes the league unbalanced.

Resetting would allow us to have the ability to bring in rules on spending and much needed wage caps and such. It also gives other clubs the opportunity to come up and fill the void, which would trickle down to even allowing more teams in the league system.

It will be tough for some years, but over time our leagues would recover and find the right level in terms of everything.

I doubt they would recover. Because being left out of this exclusive, elitist, invite-only club makes the rest of football pointless, in my opinion.

From a Newcastle perspective, where would the joy come from? Winning a trophy that the best teams felt they were too good for?

1 minute ago, Giselle said:

‘Sunday’s Novak Djokovic-Roger FedererWimbledon men’s final averaged a 2.4 rating and 3.83 million viewers on ESPN, up 118% in ratings and 133% in viewership from last year (Djokovic-Kevin Anderson: 1.1, 1.64M) and up 60% and 68% respectively from 2017 (Federer-Marin Cilic: 1.5, 2.28M).

The five-hour match ranks as the highest rated and most-watched Wimbledon final in seven years, since Federer-Andy Murray in 2012 (2.5, 3.93M). Regardless of tournament, it ranks as the top tennis match since the Serena Williams-Venus WilliamsUS Open quarterfinal in 2015 (3.7, 6.0M).’

From here: https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2019/07/wimbledon-mens-final-ratings-seven-year-high/

And also this for the Federer-Rafa match at the Australian Open in 2017:

Across Europe, it pulled as many as 11 million viewers on Eurosport and affiliated channels, including record figures for Spain, where it got as many as 1.3 million viewers. 800,000 watched in Britain, making it the second-most-watched Australian Open final in the country. The Spanish broadcast had as many as 1.3 million viewers, making it the second-most-watched Grand Slam final in the network’s history. National networks in Switzerland and France also had above a million on average for the five-set encounter.’

I’m sure there’s plenty the other way. Why have we moved onto tennis though?

1 minute ago, Tomato Deuce said:

March Madness-style bracket for CL.

If we could start fresh, that would be very fun. But the big clubs have a seat at the table and we can’t let perfect be the enemy of the good. The good solution to the problem of too many uncompetitive matches is to limit the participation of uncompetitive teams. 

3 minutes ago, duo said:

Take a bow Gary Neville - he is spot on.

He was all for Big Picture, fuck him and fuck his opinions. Literally everyone with half a brain knows this is a shit idea, he doesn't get any points for arguing against it. 

18 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

Not sure why people are happy to see them fuck off. It'd render the remaining leagues completely pointless - what's the point in Leicester or Everton winning the leftover Premier League? It would mean nothing.

UEFA, FIFA and the FAs need to throw everything possible out there to prevent this happening.

The last 40 years, only 5 titles have been won by teams other than those wanting to bugger off (Everton x2, Leeds, Blackburn & Leicester). Better to make up the numbers with the odd top 4-6 finish if someone stinks for a season before inevitably coming back, or having a realistic chance of winning?

Just now, jdckelly said:

simple solution, if they want to fuck off to some super league in 2 or 3 years time kick them out now and leave them with no games or income for a few years 

That is what Gary Neville and I have already said. Kick them out right now, no leaving it to discuss, take action now.

3 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

I doubt they would recover. Because being left out of this exclusive, elitist, invite-only club makes the rest of football pointless, in my opinion.

From a Newcastle perspective, where would the joy come from? Winning a trophy that the best teams felt they were too good for?

Pretty sure the joy would come from actually winning a trophy considering we haven't won one for 65 years (or 52 years counting the Fairs Cup).

20 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

Not sure why people are happy to see them fuck off. It'd render the remaining leagues completely pointless - what's the point in Leicester or Everton winning the leftover Premier League? It would mean nothing.

UEFA, FIFA and the FAs need to throw everything possible out there to prevent this happening.

Because, IMO, it'd fail fucking miserably, fans of the clubs would revolt and it'd be funny to wacth them crawl back. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The last 40 years, only 5 titles have been won by teams other than those wanting to bugger off (Everton x2, Leeds, Blackburn & Leicester). Better to make up the numbers with the odd top 4-6 finish if someone stinks for a season before inevitably coming back, or having a realistic chance of winning?

But it'd be an empty win.

2 minutes ago, Giselle said:

The team that finished bottom in the 8 groups of the CL this year got this many points respectively: 3, 6, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 3. Only one team was competitive. UEFA should redistribute at least 4 places to the better leagues.

Or maybe redistribute money so smaller leagues have a better chance at competing. 

Not that I know why I bother answering you. 

Guest neesy111
3 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Because, IMO, it'd fail fucking miserably, fans of the clubs would revolt and it'd be funny to wacth them crawl back. 

This.

2 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

But it'd be an empty win.

I was there against Barnsley on the final day of the Championship. We were already promoted, we had an outside chance of winning a title which by all means would largely be irrelevant for the club as it’s not classed as a major trophy and we already had the reward of promotion wrapped up.

It was not an empty win.

3 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Or maybe redistribute money so smaller leagues have a better chance at competing. 

Not that I know why I bother answering you. 

Why? Smaller leagues don’t generate enough domestic TV and ticket revenue. Why should other leagues subsidise them? 

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We've had no win in 84 years, I don't think we'll ever win again in our lifetimes. I'd sooner win something against the likes of Everton, Leeds, Leicester & Villa than be happy to push top 8 for eternity.

I wouldn't - some of the most enjoyable matches I can remember have been against the big 6 - Chelsea, Liverpool, Man United - I mean who can ever forget the 5 -0.  Yes these moments are few and far between but I still remember them to this day. The wins are just that much sweeter.  Without them it'd just ruin the integrity of the league.

Edited by duo