Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

49 minutes ago, kisearch said:

Some nice to read insight there, cheers. 👍

My mate who's a Liverpool fan thinks Henderson missing the last few matches of 13/14 was the main reason you didn't win the league, or at least more than the slip, would you say that's right?

Definitely his red card against City hurt us in the final two games. Not sure if I would label it as the main reason though. Truth is we had started to run out of gas. 

Suarez had 3 goals and 1  assist in the final 8 games of that title challenge. He had 28 goals and 16 assists in the previous 25 games. He was "pressed" out and we could see that in every player. And we could not rest Suarez, or Sturridge, or Gerrard or Coutinho due to lack of options.

Henderson was a key player in the pressing football we played that season. His nonavailability against Chelsea was a factor, no doubt about it. But at the same time I am a bit hesitant to call it the reason we couldn't win the league. We put in a herculean effort but just couldn't cross the line. That's how I like to think about it. 

59 minutes ago, kisearch said:

Some nice to read insight there, cheers. 👍

My mate who's a Liverpool fan thinks Henderson missing the last few matches of 13/14 was the main reason you didn't win the league, or at least more than the slip, would you say that's right?

Had no idea he's now played close to 300 games for Liverpool and has been there 10 years. Makes me feel old!

Have to say I think this is the strongest Premier League I can remember. Liverpool, Man City, and Chelsea are absolutely incredible and below them the difference in quality between the teams really isn't as huge as it usually is. I think Norwich and Newcastle are the only really poor teams in the league.

19 minutes ago, kisearch said:

Have to say I think this is the strongest Premier League I can remember. Liverpool, Man City, and Chelsea are absolutely incredible and below them the difference in quality between the teams really isn't as huge as it usually is. I think Norwich and Newcastle are the only really poor teams in the league.

Liverpool, City and Chelsea are all absolute filth. Its ridiculous. 

We used to have a couple of blokes at work who didn't bother with our work 5-a-side games because it made it a waste of time, whoever had either of them on their team would win easily because they'd just run rings round everyone. 

That's what Mo Salah has been like over the last couple of months, but against some of the world's best players.

Just now, ManDoon said:

Aye I played with a kid who was named a couple of times on Blue’s bench. Basically impossible to play against him, that’s Salah at elite level. He’s got to be a ballon d’or winner. Has to be. 

He’s the best in the world for me right now.

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Really?! I don’t think he has the clout to walk in and command that dressing room. That’s why I would go for zidane, also Ronaldo factor 

Something about Zidane makes me uneasy. No idea why. On the face of it it makes the most sense mind. Ronaldo/Varane and his immense trophy record in a short period of time. 

Probably just obsessed with the idea of longevity.

I think Conte is the obvious choice although not a long term solution if that's what you're looking for. 

Zidane I'm unconvinced it works outside of Madrid. 

Rodgers, just feels like a gamble he doesn't need to take, he's on such a good thing with Leicester, but hey, money talks.  

27 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Aye I played with a kid who was named a couple of times on Blue’s bench. Basically impossible to play against him, that’s Salah at elite level. He’s got to be a ballon d’or winner. Has to be. 

He's always been class but he's recently just took it up another level, don't think he took losing out on POTM to Ronaldo too well

In terms of Ballon D'Or I think the voting for this year has stopped so think he'll miss out this year but hopefully he can continue this form as he'll run away with it next year

5-1 at home to Birmingham in the League Cup pops in to my head but I can't really remember the performance. 

The Liverpool/Mackem double header under Shitdrew was pretty special. Shame we hounded him out. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

5-1 at home to Birmingham in the League Cup pops in to my head but I can't really remember the performance. 

The Liverpool/Mackem double header under Shitdrew was pretty special. Shame we hounded him out. 

It was as awful as a performance upto that point I’ve ever witnessed, and made all the more worse as it was against Bruce who at that time was being touted as our next potential manager and was universally hated/not wanted at that time.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Either the Liverpool game under Allardyce or the Liverpool game the following season where Given kept it from being 11 or 12 goals against.

Is that the one where Gerrard got a standing ovation and Given left not long after? I know I was there and it was awful, my last home match at SJP for about 5 years I think after that.