Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

If we had a women's team that was in the FA Cup final I'd be buzzing to watch; but I'm very pleased for those Arsenal and Chelsea fans who are getting the rare opportunity to see their club represented in a showdown for silverware. :lol:

They were debating on Set Piece Menu a few weeks ago the potential merits of detaching women's teams from the men's teams and what that might do for wider public interest (i.e. completely different/original teams as opposed to women's versions of all the usual familiar clubs). Obviously it would never happen because the brands are far too strong for any organisation to reject the opportunity be affixed/associated, and I assume that, in most cases, women's teams are under the same administration as the men's clubs, so there are obvious practical reasons too. But it's an interesting thought and, speaking only for myself, would perhaps enhance my interest; certainly in comparison to my interest in seeing the usual suspects lifting more trophies. 

Regardless, the fact that the match is getting prioritised over Premier League football today is obviously a really progressive and positive step. 

Those pesky women, you'd have thought they'd be satisfied (thankful) when we allowed them equal rights but now they're wanting enhanced rights for their showpiece event? 

It's a good point about standalone teams for women, I think that's what they have in America and there are a couple of teams in the Women's Championship that are distinct. I think I'd probably be in favour (just as long as they're not demanding their matches be broadcast on Men's television) but can understand why it's not the case here. 

52 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If we had a women's team that was in the FA Cup final I'd be buzzing to watch; but I'm very pleased for those Arsenal and Chelsea fans who are getting the rare opportunity to see their club represented in a showdown for silverware. :lol:

They were debating on Set Piece Menu a few weeks ago the potential merits of detaching women's teams from the men's teams and what that might do for wider public interest (i.e. completely different/original teams as opposed to women's versions of all the usual familiar clubs). Obviously it would never happen because the brands are far too strong for any organisation to reject the opportunity be affixed/associated, and I assume that, in most cases, women's teams are under the same administration as the men's clubs, so there are obvious practical reasons too. But it's an interesting thought and, speaking only for myself, would perhaps enhance my interest; certainly in comparison to my interest in seeing the usual suspects lifting more trophies. 

Regardless, the fact that the match is getting prioritised over Premier League football today is obviously a really progressive and positive step. 

It’s an interesting idea, but I feel it’s vital for the development of grassroots’ girls’ football especially when they are just kids, that they have female footballer role models and that their local football club has a women’s team so they know that there is a path into the pro women’s game for them one day maybe because there isn’t and never will be one in the men’s game.

I dreamed of playing for NUFC and as a dad you dream your son will too. If I was a girl, I wouldn’t have that dream. Hopefully one day we will see female only clubs develop from the grassroots game so we can say have an Elswick WFC enter the women’s football pyramid one day to rub shoulders with a NUFC women’s team like a Gateshead FC can play in the FA Cup against a WBA or a Charlton. 

I do think, and I’ve seen it at kids’ level, that women footballers will be more technically adept in general than their male counter-parts because there won’t be a disparity in physically as there is in male footballers, that bodes well for women’s football. There are a few teams in my boy’s league who play with some girls and 9 times out of ten from what I’ve seen their technical ability has been above most on the pitch. Physically they are just as strong and aggressive and capable of course, but when they get to adulthood, there will be a disparity physically between the sexes. 

Going way forward, I’d like to hope that in a hundred years time for example, men and women will be playing for an NUFC team together, that’s the ultimate way forward.

Edited by HTT II

I'd also like to caveat that viewing figures may not necessarily reflect quality or appeal. Prime example is anything that has to have either Gregg Wallace or Jermaine Jenas featured. Objectively, a colonoscopy is better value but unfortunately MasterChef viewing figures suggest otherwise. Also not everyone has sports packages on their TV so that would impact potential audience figures. The women's game needs to start somewhere though and it'll certainly grow in popularity as it is given more exposure, which it should and we shouldn't expect it to immediately have viewing figures like an FA Cup final from the 1970s.

Sorry to temporarily take us a little off topic there. Fucking Gregg Wallace, man. Tit. 

1 minute ago, number37 said:

I'd also like to caveat that viewing figures may not necessarily reflect quality or appeal. Prime example is anything that has to have either Gregg Wallace or Jermaine Jenas featured. Objectively, a colonoscopy is better value but unfortunately MasterChef viewing figures suggest otherwise. Also not everyone has sports packages on their TV so that would impact potential audience figures. The women's game needs to start somewhere though and it'll certainly grow in popularity as it is given more exposure, which it should and we shouldn't expect it to immediately have viewing figures like an FA Cup final from the 1970s.

Sorry to temporarily take us a little off topic there. Fucking Gregg Wallace, man. Tit. 

Ah man, I like Gregg Wallace and anything MasterChef and I’m watching it even with so-called celebs in it.

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

Ah man, I like Gregg Wallace and anything MasterChef and I’m watching it even with so-called celebs in it.

Sorry! Deep, deep... deep down he probably does have some redeemable qualities, perhaps not as a broadcaster but at least as a human being but I'm unwilling to give him any more time. He's clearly doing something right though! 

Again, so sorry to detract from a more worthy discussion. See, this is what he does. 

4 minutes ago, number37 said:

Sorry! Deep, deep... deep down he probably does have some redeemable qualities, perhaps not as a broadcaster but at least as a human being but I'm unwilling to give him any more time. He's clearly doing something right though! 

Again, so sorry to detract from a more worthy discussion. See, this is what he does. 

I can see why people don’t like him, but I find him one off the less offensive TV personalities of most of them who I usually can’t abide.

36 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

How much interest is there in it though? Would like to know the viewing figures etc.

I think that's the point though isn't it. The viewing figures will increase significantly this afternoon for it with no PL games on the box at that time

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

I think that's the point though isn't it. The viewing figures will increase significantly this afternoon for it with no PL games on the box at that time

Just seems a bit forced to me when the attendance figures of the games are so low. 

54 minutes ago, number37 said:

Those pesky women, you'd have thought they'd be satisfied (thankful) when we allowed them equal rights but now they're wanting enhanced rights for their showpiece event? 

It's a good point about standalone teams for women, I think that's what they have in America and there are a couple of teams in the Women's Championship that are distinct. I think I'd probably be in favour (just as long as they're not demanding their matches be broadcast on Men's television) but can understand why it's not the case here. 

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. More so just disappointed there is not a PL game to watch at 2pm.

It’s the same as rugby for me. It’s a crap sport that I have no interest in and if there was no PL game being shown at a time to make way for a rugby match, I’d be disappointed by that too.

Not liking women’s football doesn’t necessarily equal sexism. 

12 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Definitely especially considering all the women I know who watch and love mens football  have no interest in the women's game what so ever.

Edited by WillingtonMag

10 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. More so just disappointed there is not a PL game to watch at 2pm.

It’s the same as rugby for me. It’s a crap sport that I have no interest in and if there was no PL game being shown at a time to make way for a rugby match, I’d be disappointed by that too.

Agreed

I find the standard so bad it's of no interest to me

Having said that not having a top level team to follow probably plays a part, if the Newcastle team was in say the top league I'd probably watch them here and there, and want them to do well assuming the matches didn't clash with matches I'd want to watch 

14 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

:thup: Yeah, I get what you mean. There's a bunch of sport on TV that I'm not interested in and am always disappointed when I'd rather have something on that I'd like. When Amazon have all the matches on together it's almost too much of a good problem!

I was just being a little bit of a dick earlier, trying to be funny. I know we're not a bunch of mysogonsists on here - we just want to watch what we want to watch. 

I've got no interest in womans football at all like, like has been said it's just not great to watch and the lads who follow them beyond a passing interest are likely sex offenders. However I completely agree that key games should be given priority. 

Even beyond the positive growth it can have for womens football it just seems fair  that any British domestic final should be televised.

I’m all for girls/women’s football, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to watch it either or any other sport these days (I used to love motorsport and boxing), but sport in any shape or form at any level is so important and good luck to anyone who participates whether professionally or not.