Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

40 minutes ago, Dokko said:

People are that far up Rafa's arse its more important to see him win than their own clubs survival. 

Dare you to find one person on here that even implied such a thing post takeover.

People like Rafa, people therefore want to see him do well. What's so difficult to understand, and why get so riled up about it?

6 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Dare you to find one person on here that even implied such a thing post takeover.

People like Rafa, people therefore want to see him do well. What's so difficult to understand, and why get so riled up about it?

Because his club have very much looked like they could get properly dragged into the relegation mire. The mire that we will be stuck in for a good while this season. Its not rocket science.

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

How have they? They are literally 12th? Do you think Leicester will be “dragged into the mire” they will be absolutely fine and we’re never looking like being part of it 

Have you been asleep for the last 6 or 7 weeks? Their club is tearing itself apart. Tonight's result just papers over the cracks. 

Start whinging if anyone around here is wishing Rafa well when we're playing Everton. Not going to happen. If NUFC stay up or go down isn't going to depend on the success or failure of Everton.

And please stop insisting that drawing such as conclusion is self evident. It's absurd.

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

No, they’ve lost a few games and the fans are protesting, they will be nowhere near relegation. It’s fanciful in the extreme to be thinking in those terms. 

Bollocks. NUFC went down with a better squad in 2009 and 2016 and the toxicity off the pitch played a big part in that. Never underestimate the feel bad factor and its ability to send a club into a tailspin. All that needs to happen is EFC to go on another bad run, sack Rafa and then get a shoddy replacement for them to get locked into the bottom 7.

13 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Harper, Coloccini, Steven Taylor, Edgar, Duff, Guthrie, Nolan (Owen 66), Butt, Lovenkrands (Jose Enrique 57), Viduka (Ameobi 75), Martins.

What formation was that? 433 with Taylor and Duff at fullback, midfield trio of Guthrie, Nolan and Butt? :lol:

I still maintain that the main back 4 that season was on paper one the best I've known us to have (Beye - best RB I've seen at Newcastle, Coloccini - not great that season but became excellent, Bassong - had a good season despite us being shit, Enrique - had an okay season and became excellent) and that it's an excellent example of why a good defence isn't enough when you have an absolutely terrible centre midfield protecting it (Butt, Smith, Nolan)

24 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

what? Our 2009 squad was garbage, look at this line up for the final game :

Harper, Coloccini, Steven Taylor, Edgar, Duff, Guthrie, Nolan (Owen 66), Butt, Lovenkrands (Jose Enrique 57), Viduka (Ameobi 75), Martins.~

how is that better than what Everton put out tonight? 

Our 2016 squad was alright but not as good as this Everton squad, no way.  Doucoure and Allan are one of the best CM pairs in the prem. DCL is an elite striker, they have England’s GK. Nah, not having that at all. 

I watched a vid comparing the Everton and Arsenal squads (before the match) - the slant of which was Everton have a better XI and Rafa was doing a shite job. (Some real stretches included, like Coleman over Tomyasu…)

Next day I’m reading someone compare the same XI to our relegation teams…

5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah but colo and Enrique both had awful seasons ( bassong was great) probably due to that midfield but also adjusting to the league. Everton have Digne and Coleman as full backs. Both PL pedigree 

Wasn't comparing to Everton because like you I think the idea of relegation, that their squad is poor, or that the situations are comparable is ridiculous. Was just a separate point tbh. Enrique was alright that season I thought, Colo had a few shockers but yeah definitely because they were adjusting/being constantly exposed because of probably the worst midfield I've seen at Newcastle.

Edited by kisearch

Anyone thinking Everton are getting relegated must have missed the whole point of Rafa's stint at Newcastle. He survived with the likes of Joselu up front ffs. 

Was chuffed for him yesterday, even if you aren't a fan of his football, you have to appreciate how he tried to raise the standards here and was prepared to go up against his boss to push it through. 

11 hours ago, ManDoon said:

what? Our 2009 squad was garbage, look at this line up for the final game :

Harper, Coloccini, Steven Taylor, Edgar, Duff, Guthrie, Nolan (Owen 66), Butt, Lovenkrands (Jose Enrique 57), Viduka (Ameobi 75), Martins.~

how is that better than what Everton put out tonight? 

Our 2016 squad was alright but not as good as this Everton squad, no way.  Doucoure and Allan are one of the best CM pairs in the prem. DCL is an elite striker, they have England’s GK. Nah, not having that at all. 

We will have to disagree, I dont think their current squad is that special. Before yesterday's game our match with them this month was being described on here as one to be won. The result last night is a sticking plaster over their problems. Yes, their squad shouldnt be in a relegation battle but their support is so toxic towards Rafa that it could drag them into one.

21 minutes ago, Wandy said:

We will have to disagree, I dont think their current squad is that special. Before yesterday's game our match with them this month was being described on here as one to be won. The result last night is a sticking plaster over their problems. Yes, their squad shouldnt be in a relegation battle but their support is so toxic towards Rafa that it could drag them into one.

I watched it last night, and the support wasn't as toxic as I thought it would be tbh. They are pissed off, but they don't seem to know where to aim the anger, the manager or the board. You get wankers like Simon Jordan saying it's all the owner's fault, but they wouldn't have a new stadium without him. If he goes, who better is going to come in?

I think getting rid of the DOF and giving the reins to Rafa will settle the club down for now. Long term he might not be the answer, but he'll definitely keep them safe this season. They might still go on to finish top 8 tbh, they beat Arsenal yesterday and had two goals chalked off. 

28 minutes ago, Wandy said:

It is toxic and he’s a defeat or two away from hell, and never likely to be a win or two away from redemption, but they aren’t going to get relegated with Rafa at the helm, full stop. He’s too good man and yes they have an average squad, even more so considering their spend in recent seasons, but again, they have the nucleus of a good first team and their entire midfield would walk into our team as would most of their first team players. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I watched it last night, and the support wasn't as toxic as I thought it would be tbh. They are pissed off, but they don't seem to know where to aim the anger, the manager or the board. You get wankers like Simon Jordan saying it's all the owner's fault, but they wouldn't have a new stadium without him. If he goes, who better is going to come in?

I think getting rid of the DOF and giving the reins to Rafa will settle the club down for now. Long term he might not be the answer, but he'll definitely keep them safe this season. They might still go on to finish top 8 tbh, they beat Arsenal yesterday and had two goals chalked off. 

Probably right. I just want as many teams down there with us as possible and they have definiitely looked like being one. I maintain that their squad is average but, ironically, they have the perfect manager to get a tune out of it..i.f their fans just cut him some slack.

Just now, HTT II said:

It is toxic and he’s a defeat or two away from hell, and never likely to be a win or two away from redemption, but they aren’t going to get relegated with Rafa at the helm, full stop. He’s too good man and yes they have an average squad, even more so considering their spend in recent seasons, but again, they have the nucleus of a good first team and their entire midfield would walk into our team as would most of their first team players. 

My thinking was that the toxicity could lead to Rafa getting the boot. I agree its very unlikely they get relegated with Benitez at the helm.

Just now, Wandy said:

Probably right. I just want as many teams down there with us as possible and they have definiitely looked like being one. I maintain that their squad is average but, ironically, they have the perfect manager to get a tune out of it..i.f their fans just cut him some slack.

I’m the same, I want even Leeds - who I quite like (I know) - and love Biesla, to be down there. I want Rafa never to fail, however, even if he’s managing Everton. He gave me back my club for 3 years under Ashley and chose to manage us and stick with us, he saw the job through basically, taking us up and keeping us up, until his job was untenable in relation to his own ambitions for our club. You mentioned in another thread we wouldn’t be where we are today without KK, I 100% agree, but we wouldn’t have our new owners without Rafa either.

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

My thinking was that the toxicity could lead to Rafa getting the boot. I agree its very unlikely they get relegated with Benitez at the helm.

He likely will get the boot, they would be wise to stick to their convictions though and after Rafa, who could they get and who would do an amazing job? 

Just now, HTT II said:

I’m the same, I want even Leeds - who I quite like (I know) - and love Biesla, to be down there. I want Rafa never to fail, however, even if he’s managing Everton. He gave me back my club for 3 years under Ashley and chose to manage us and stick with us, he saw the job through basically, taking us up and keeping us up, until his job was untenable in relation to his own ambitions for our club. You mentioned in another thread we wouldn’t be where we are today without KK, I 100% agree, but we wouldn’t have our new owners without Rafa either.

Of course, I agree. Rafa coming here essentially secured the takeover and therefore he will always be a special person for us. But if he's a relegation rival for us then sentiment goes out of the window for me. And I cannot stand Everton so there's another reason I cannot want him to succeed there.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

Of course, I agree. Rafa coming here essentially secured the takeover and therefore he will always be a special person for us. But if he's a relegation rival for us then sentiment goes out of the window for me. And I cannot stand Everton so there's another reason I cannot want him to succeed there.

Oh aye, if it come between NUFC and Rafa in any situation, it’s NUFC all the way.