Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, MarkyMark said:

It’ll be quickly forgotten - but I imagine the press will be too busy taking the piss.

Relegation wouldn’t leave the new owners or management blameless - there was time to turn it round - but if I was doing it on %s, it would be an 80-20 split in terms of responsibility.  Years and years of neglect - and of course, luck has played its part for the last couple of years.

But as Norwich are showing, you can make your own luck, too.  

It would be hard to argue Howe’s case if Smith gets Norwich out of it and we go down that’s for sure.

I wouldn’t be comfortable with sacking Howe before end of the season, but if the above scenario played out it would be hard to argue his case, even more so if he gets heavily backed with signings next week.

Just now, Shearergol said:

Let’s just hope it doesn’t give Norwich too much confidence

They lack quality, if we get our business correct next week we should be finishing above them.

Fingers crossed the back to back games against Liverpool and City on the horizon knocks the stuffing out of them anyway.

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

It would be hard to argue Howe’s case if Smith gets Norwich out of it and we go down that’s for sure.

I wouldn’t be comfortable with sacking Howe before end of the season, but if the above scenario played out it would be hard to argue his case, even more so if he gets heavily backed with signings next week.

100% agree.  I think Howe should be there for the rest of the season - unless the situation becomes so desperate that a change is a last throw of the dice (if the next ten games are the same as the previous ten, but a change of manager might still produce a miracle).

I like Howe’s footballing ethos - I like passing, pressing, attacking football.  I think he’s a competent coach.  But it’s a results business.  

4 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

If he doesnt start getting results and pronto he's a goner. End of Feb at the latest.

Just now, Wandy said:

If he doesnt start getting results and pronto he's a goner. End of Feb at the latest.

It’ll be interesting I think they would only pull the trigger if we we’re still in striking distance of the teams above.

Undoubtedly many of us will now be conditioned by the Ashley years and sacking 2 managers in a season seems crazy, but it’s certainly true other clubs would think nothing of doing it.

I'm looking at this as a good result, definitely preferred it to a draw

We have games in hand (yeah I know, we need to win those) and we have a better GD than Norwich, a draw and win (again, yeah I know) has us above Norwich

Yet a draw for Watford would had them 3 points ahead, with 1 game played more but a better GD so even a win would have kept us below them

Ideally Watford-Burnley is a draw or even a Burnley win because before that Burnley have Arsenal away, then after it's Man-U and Liverpool at home

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

It’ll be interesting I think they would only pull the trigger if we we’re still in striking distance of the teams above.

Undoubtedly many of us will now be conditioned by the Ashley years and sacking 2 managers in a season seems crazy, but it’s certainly true other clubs would think nothing of doing it.

Yeah, was just saying similar to a mate the other day.  Watching useless no-hopers like Pardew and Bruce somehow surviving for years has altered our perspective on this stuff.  Howe would be coming under real pressure pretty soon at most clubs