Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Agree that it sucks how little Euro football is on TV but I've got to say I think Premier Sports is decent value and has loads of Serie A and La Liga on. 

The app on the phone allows you to cast straight to the TV which is great. 

I'll be getting rid for the off-season like. 

Agreed

I got it for La Liga matches so Serie A was a bonus

Much better than Eleven Sports

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Agreed

I got it for La Liga matches so Serie A was a bonus

Much better than Eleven Sports

Other way around for me but yeah I've definitely found it worthwhile. Saves scrambling around for a stream and always runs nice and smooth. The weekly magazine/highlight shows for both leagues on catch up are good too.

29 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I think you mean funny.

He'll probably leave anyway if they miss out. 

Nah love Ronaldo that club messed up badly without him they'd be arsenal status this season 

Buying Ronaldo is probably the worst move they've made tbh.

At least he's gonna win Capocannoniere at the third time of asking, though. Money well spent.

Edited by ponsaelius

11 hours ago, Chicane said:

Disastrous season for PSG

if Stade Rennais took any one of the many chances they had in the second half then it would've been all over for them in the league, as it stands they still have a chance. but i really hope Lille win their last two games and get the title.

Guest HTT II
32 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Buying Ronaldo is probably the worst move they've made tbh.

At least he's gonna win Capocannoniere at the third time of asking, though. Money well spent.

Nah appointing Pirlo was their biggest mistake, Ronaldo won the league with them last season, hardly failure. Juventus did what the likes of  Inter et al did way before them, thinking just with Ronaldo alone, they’d sweep up. Their squad has been in decline for a while and needed more money spent on it and hiring a complete novice in Pirlo hasn’t worked, although he needs more time obviously to prove himself. I doubt he will, however, 

Guest neesy111
8 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Nah appointing Pirlo was their biggest mistake, Ronaldo won the league with them last season, hardly failure. Juventus did what the likes of  Inter et al did way before them, thinking just with Ronaldo alone, they’d sweep up. Their squad has been in decline for a while and needed more money spent on it and hiring a complete novice in Pirlo hasn’t worked, although he needs more time obviously to prove himself. I doubt he will, however, 

Nah, signing Ronaldo was their mistake.

Guest HTT II
7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Brilliant that Juve have had such a mighty shitter. Where's it all gone wrong for them this season? 

They should have went for Conte who is a big factor in all of this IMO.

Guest HTT II
Just now, neesy111 said:

Nah, signing Ronaldo was their mistake.

But they won the title last season with him and could have won more this season had they appointed say Conte and not a novice like Pirlo. Ronaldo is not the reason Juve have had a shit season or would be judged as a mistake signing. 

And like with any successful side that’s won so much over a time span, it was always going to lead to a period of a falling from grace if you like, Juve just never saw that and appointed the wrong manager and didn’t add the level of quality alongside Ronaldo that was inevitably going to be required to sustain yet more success. 

Pre-Ronaldo

2015 - Serie A, Coppa Italia, CL Final 
2016 - Serie A, Coppa Italia, CL Last 16 (Bayern)
2017 - Serie A, Coppa Italia, CL Final
2018 - Serie A, Coppa Italia, CL QF (Real Madrid)

Post-Ronaldo Signing

2019 - Serie A, CL QF (Ajax)
2020 - Serie A, CL Last 16 (Lyon)
2021 - 5th, Coppa Italia final tbc, CL Last 16 (Porto)

That is a clear and marked decline since they signed Ronaldo both domestically and in Europe. Pirlo or no Pirlo.

Signing him for 100 million euros, and putting him on a 31 million euro contract (the next highest paid player in Serie A is 7 million euros), has completely hamstrung their squad building. This has been to the detriment of the team. Whatever the merits of Ronaldo as a player at 36 there is absolutely no doubt that as a team the signing has ultimately made them worse. 

18 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Brilliant that Juve have had such a mighty shitter. Where's it all gone wrong for them this season? 

Novice manager, squad already on the slide, poorish recruitment, other sides improving.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, astraguy said:

Not a chance hiring pirlo who has never managed a team before just for the name sack and wasting wages on ramsey

Totally forgot about Ramsey, what a waste of a move that was and I get the thinking behind appointing Pirlo, but the chances of him failing were much higher than him ever succeeding, in fact you could argue without Ronaldo’s presence, they’d have bombed even more under Pirlo. The key facts are that they appointed the wrong manager and didn’t invest in significant enough quality alongside their investment in Ronaldo to maintain their previous success and especially up against a resurgent but still somewhat average Inter side, average in terms of Inter being a European power house team which they are not. Leicester would probably smash them, although given how they allowed Steve Bruce’s NUFC to do that to them, maybe not... 

Guest HTT II
Just now, Disco said:

Novice manager, squad already on the slide, poorish recruitment, other sides improving.

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Pre-Ronaldo

Post-Ronaldo Signing

That is a clear and marked decline since they signed Ronaldo both domestically and in Europe. Pirlo or no Pirlo.

Signing him for 100 million euros, and putting him on a 31 million euro contract (the next highest paid player in Serie A is 7 million euros), has completely hamstrung their squad building. This has been to the detriment of the team. Whatever the merits of Ronaldo as a player at 36 there is absolutely no doubt that as a team the signing has ultimately made them worse. 

Basically what Disco said...

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Pre-Ronaldo

Post-Ronaldo Signing

Christ look at the managers they had them, how's the bacon?

The entire point is the Ronaldo signing has caused this.

Paying him 31 million euros a year (this is Atalanta's entire squad more or less) has meant they couldn't afford to build a proper team and experimented with cheaper managerial recruitment. It all stems from making a hugely expensive signing for marketing reasons rather than trying to build a team. 

Historically Juventus has always been a club which made superstars and generally had no problem selling them. Signing Ronaldo was a shift from this historic policy to align with their rebrand. It's been a total disaster in every way except for Ronaldo's wallet. 

Edited by ponsaelius

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, astraguy said:

Christ look at the managers they had them, how's the bacon?

:bigi:

Ronaldo has scored 27 goals in the league this season. Against Inter, Milan, Napoli and Atalanta he has scored 1 in 7.  He also has 2 assists in an entire league campaign. This is in a side built entirely around serving him the ball.

But this is no slant on him. At the end of the day he has just turned 36. For a player of that age he's doing more than fine. The question is why successful club with an established dynasty and economic advantage has deliberately hamstrung themselves in this way. One can only ask Agnelli.

Edited by ponsaelius