Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

Just now, gbandit said:

Weird as fuck reading the Pep discourse in this thread 

Agreed. He's put together some of the best football this league has ever seen. The very rare occasion they can't score against a team defending well they look vulnerable at the back but it's always tiny margins.

2 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Why? He’s a superb manager obviously, and this place was basically a Guardiola fan club a couple weeks back after the semi. But he repeatedly fucks about with his team and chokes in big knock out games.

I don’t think there’s any issue with him being criticised for this game or for other big games that he’s lost. It’s the over-exaggerations from some posters that’s the issue. Ultimately, Chelsea played brilliant defensively and Man City’s system wasn’t able to break them down. That is down to Pep’s tactics alongside individual performances. I just don’t think making grand protestations that he can’t handle the big matches makes any sense. What’s the sample size? Four games?

3 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Agreed. He's put together some of the best football this league has ever seen. The very rare occasion they can't score against a team defending well they look vulnerable at the back but it's always tiny margins.

He’ll never win them the CL though.

Until they sign Kane/mbappe/haaland 

3 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

They can’t be happy with this performance in a CL final. One shot on goal.

7 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Why? He’s a superb manager obviously, and this place was basically a Guardiola fan club a couple weeks back after the semi. But he repeatedly fucks about with his team and chokes in big knock out games.

Most managers that have longevity will mostly likely lose in knock out games

Fergie lost plenty but the choking narrative was never labelled at him

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Most managers that have longevity will mostly likely lose in knock out games

Fergie lost plenty but the choking narrative was never labelled at him

Like I said though, it goes hand in hand with him repeatedly fucking about with his team in those games.

1 minute ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I actually like that they don't want to wear the silver medals, that's the sort of mentality you need, imagine our lot having anything similar to that :lol:

I think it’s idiotic but it seems to be pretty much everywhere.

You're still better than nearly every other team in Europe. 

9 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I don’t think there’s any issue with him being criticised for this game or for other big games that he’s lost. It’s the over-exaggerations from some posters that’s the issue. Ultimately, Chelsea played brilliant defensively and Man City’s system wasn’t able to break them down. That is down to Pep’s tactics alongside individual performances. I just don’t think making grand protestations that he can’t handle the big matches makes any sense. What’s the sample size? Four games?

There's no doubt that he has a habit of making strange team selections in big games. Apart from changing his midfield, Cancelo's been arguably their best player this season, a huge part of the way they've played, and didn't even get on the pitch.